2016 Red Bull Racing team - TAG Heuer

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ME4ME

Re: 2016 Red Bull Racing team - TAG Heuer

Some lovely Renault-fans pleasing quotes today :)
"I think it's fairly well recorded that at the start of last season there was a frustrating time when Renault if anything, frankly, were going backwards rather than forwards," he said. "But they seem to have really gone away, understood their problems and made really good progress over the last winter and again with the upgrade that we had for Monaco. If they can keep that ramp going then we can really start to close in power unit wise on Mercedes."

Red Bull took its first victory in over 18 months at the Spanish Grand Prix this year and Newey said a large part of that was down to Renault's improvement.

"It's obviously good to have won a race again this year. Monaco was frustrating because we mucked that up ourselves, but to be back running at least somewhere near the front is a reward to not only all the hard work that's gone on at Red Bull, but also all the hard work Renault has put in over the last 12 months."
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/170 ... rian-newey

SR71

ME4ME wrote:Some lovely Renault-fans pleasing quotes today :)
"I think it's fairly well recorded that at the start of last season there was a frustrating time when Renault if anything, frankly, were going backwards rather than forwards," he said. "But they seem to have really gone away, understood their problems and made really good progress over the last winter and again with the upgrade that we had for Monaco. If they can keep that ramp going then we can really start to close in power unit wise on Mercedes."

Red Bull took its first victory in over 18 months at the Spanish Grand Prix this year and Newey said a large part of that was down to Renault's improvement.

"It's obviously good to have won a race again this year. Monaco was frustrating because we mucked that up ourselves, but to be back running at least somewhere near the front is a reward to not only all the hard work that's gone on at Red Bull, but also all the hard work Renault has put in over the last 12 months."
This is F1. We don't need hand holding and peace signs. We need performance targets met from suppliers and teams to deliver strong cars to top drivers.

Red Bull as a top chassis manufacture deserve the performance promised to them by their suppliers.

I completely felt for red bull when Renault showed up with that joke they called a PU in 2014 and understood Red Bull was completely vindicated in 2015 when Renault went backwards. Not until after a massive performance slide compared to Ferrari did they surrender, put their French hands in the air and admit they had no more ideas on how to move forward. This is when they finally accepted Red Bulls assistance and brought in some outside help. Help Red Bull had been begging to give them AND pay for.

We will never know what was going on behind the scenes last year with regards to RB/Renault but one this for sure Red Bull could have done or said a lot worse.

It's nice to hear RB via Newey congratulating their engine supplier and applauding efforts. It may have taken Renault 4 years but they finally seem to have be close to the top 2.

I don't think any of that matters though as long as they cant out power Merc.

Until then they owe all success to Red Bull. Nice of Newey not to mention that.

Andres125sx

Maybe because Newey think different to you. Do you think Red Bull would have win those races with Honda? Then it´s not only Renault owing all success to RB, it´s also the other way around, Red Bull owe part of his success to Renault too

This is a team sport after all, even when RBR almost forgot it past season and bashed his own PU supplier as I had not seen in ages in F1.

ChrisDanger

Ricciardo hits a century of GPs this weekend.

Jolle

I see that the German Lidl have a special offer for some RedBull :P wonder how that goes with Verstappen's personal sponsor Jumbo, who are both supermarkets in The Netherlands (but slightly different price points)

lio007

Cool celebrating after the Bottas move: =D>
https://streamable.com/8lbu

djos

lio007 wrote:Cool celebrating after the Bottas move: =D>
https://streamable.com/8lbu
That was a brilliant pass!
"In downforce we trust"

carisi2k

Andres125sx wrote:Maybe because Newey think different to you. Do you think Red Bull would have win those races with Honda? Then it´s not only Renault owing all success to RB, it´s also the other way around, Red Bull owe part of his success to Renault too

This is a team sport after all, even when RBR almost forgot it past season and bashed his own PU supplier as I had not seen in ages in F1.
With a Honda no. But imagine how many races Red Bull could have won with a Mercedes engine. With a Mercedes engine the Red Bull could have fought for championships these past 3 years.

carisi2k

ME4ME wrote:Some lovely Renault-fans pleasing quotes today :)

Might I suggest that Cyril Abitaboul maybe the problem at Renault. Since they have moved him to the team side and away from the engine side the relationship between RB and Renault seems to have improved.

FW17

carisi2k wrote:
Might I suggest that Cyril Abitaboul maybe the problem at Renault. Since they have moved him to the team side and away from the engine side the relationship between RB and Renault seems to have improved.
Certainly.

If you start calling your partner a liar then it is trouble.

djos

Gotta love how well Danny Ric is managing this years championship, he's just quietly chipping away and making the most he can of every race, even when he has a "bad one" he still brings home a handy bag of points! The only other drivers I can think of to score points in all but 1 race, so far this year, are Lewis and Nico.
"In downforce we trust"

lio007

f1316

So verstappen got the only Renault engine upgrade, just as Ricciardo did earlier in the season. You've got to think there's something in the contract that means RB get first dibs on engines for them to be given preferential treatment over the works team (and/or Renault see more PR value in sticking the good engine in a front running car).

But what if, in the next few years, the Renault team start competing with RB on the track? What then? Surely they'll start trying to take an engine advantage, whether that's mapping/modes/earlier upgrades or whatever.

If so, RB will find themselves back in the same situation they didn't want with Mercedes or Ferrari. Perhaps they're hoping engines will be on par and frozen by then, but it's a bit of a chance unless they have another manufacturer up their sleeve.

Muulka

Gone
Last edited by Muulka on 23 Sep 2016, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

f1316

Ok, well even if so, you said it yourself - Renault are being very fair. That's easy enough when teams are not in direct competition but what about if/when they are? I doubt they'll be so 'fair' if it's the difference between finishing in front of or behind a competitor.

It's easy to say "well, RB will be at the front next year and Renault will take a few more years, so why worry?" But if those few more years roll around and you don't have a backup then you're in trouble.