2017 tyre testing cars

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bhall II

Re: 2017 tyre testing cars

Jolle wrote:Oh come on...
You'll see it. :wink:

For what it's worth, Ferrari themselves would likely be the first to admit that, despite its success, SF15-T wasn't a particularly good aero platform, and lord knows Red Bull would fall all over themselves telling you how RB11 was hampered by Renault's PU. All we're seeing here is a magnification of that reality. A similar comparison of this year's cars in exaggerated form might look different.

Jolle

mrluke wrote:Your team has a massive opportunity to test next years tyres and the associated increased downforce levels.

I would expect any F1 team to absolutely maximize any potential knowledge or data that could be achieved from such a test.
They aren't allowed to use 2017 aero solutions. The FIA/Pirelli just asked them for the same level of DF. The real solutions are in CFD and the windtunnel for some time now. Any use (in the open, with data shared to the other teams) of those solutions would be absolutely foolish.

ChrisDanger

Ferrari is testing Pirelli's 2017 slicks at Barcelona, with Raikkonen driving today and Vettel driving tomorrow. Wehrlein will run the Mercedes from today till Thursday at Paul Ricard.

I'm looking forward to seeing Mercedes' high-downforce mods, and Paul Ricard is an awesome backdrop for any car.

GM7

Formula Wrong

Is the Mercedes' Diffusor larger or is that just an illusion?
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

holeindalip

Looks like they just placed a beam wing there,diffusor looks the same size

thedutchguy

Is the diffuser a double-decker on the Merc? In the picture from behind (with the four tyres) it looks like there is an upper deck with a curved edge above the main diffuser.

WaikeCU

I think it's a wing, just to simulate the width of a potential 2017 diffuser. Remember, it's testing. So nothing is illegal in testing despite what is written in the technical regulations.

FW17

thedutchguy wrote:Is the diffuser a double-decker on the Merc? In the picture from behind (with the four tyres) it looks like there is an upper deck with a curved edge above the main diffuser.

That is the radiator exits

FW17

some how the increased width of the cars are totally lost with these bubble tyres

Big Mangalhit

bhall II wrote:

For what it's worth, Ferrari themselves would likely be the first to admit that, despite its success, SF15-T wasn't a particularly good aero platform, and lord knows Red Bull would fall all over themselves telling you how RB11 was hampered by Renault's PU. All we're seeing here is a magnification of that reality. A similar comparison of this year's cars in exaggerated form might look different.

Maybe it is also related to the rake both cars are optimised to use. Maybe the skirts on the RB (plus changing in diffuser+beam wing) are that much more efficient because of the high rake and in the Ferrari setup they still need to add a massive wing.

Maybe I am wrong but I get the impression if you seal the floor of a higher rake car you will get more DF than if you seal a lower rake car.

f1316

We need to make sure we have a test basis, and by that we mean a level of downforce that is at least close to what we are anticipating for next season because that has a big impact on the way the compounds will react and behave," said Hembery.

"That's one of the things we will be testing and verifying this week, and we know Ferrari has made a few more modifications.
Trying to figure out what those can be - apparently they were asked to add 10% more downforce after the last test - but hard to tell from these pics.

FoxHound

bhall II wrote:

The question is why run low downforce when the rear wing is going to be naturally wider?

Surely if you want to replicate 2017 conditions, you'll go with more DF?
JET set

adrianjordan

Merc don't seem to have made that many changes to the car...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

bhall II

FoxHound wrote:The question is why run low downforce when the rear wing is going to be naturally wider?

Surely if you want to replicate 2017 conditions, you'll go with more DF?
I'm not sure I know what you mean here. Who's running low downforce?