high hp/cylinder engines...

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
mitsos

high hp/cylinder engines...

Hello to everyone...

Lets say that we have a 4cylinder engine(for example 4g63)that produces 1200hp...
How many kilometers do you believe this engine can last?or it is better to say...how many full throttle passes can handle?

Do you have any examples with such type of engines that has lasted for long??

Jolle

Re: high hp/cylinder engines...

If you use a 12l 4 cylinder turbo engine, endless. If you use a 1l twingo engine, about 4 seconds.

But let's say you have a 4g63, it's all about what you did to it and what are all the other parameters.

mitsos

So it's a matter of hp/cylinder or hp/cc?

And all the companies that offer aftermarket pistons,rods,bearings etc. say that for example this component can withstand 300hp/cylinder...but for how long?we suppose that we take a very good care of our engine..programm cooling system oil pressure etc are all at their best...i'm talking just for the materials strength...

Thanx for your answer Jolle...

DiogoBrand

I believe it is more of a hp/cc than a hp/cyl thing.
The more power you try to squeeze from a given volume, the more compression, the lighter parts, the higher revs you're gonna need, all of which compromise reliability.
Of course you may run into some problems by having a volume too big from each cylinder, like the 12l 4cyl engine that Jolle exaggerated, but in the end the power/cyl ratio won't have nearly as much to do with reliability as the power/cc number.

mrluke

An aftermarket company that is producing parts for a known engine may well dictate per cylinder but I would say that the bhp/cylinder or bhp/CC is going to be completely dependent upon the specific engine and dependent upon what exactly you have done to it.

Your best bet is looking into the owners clubs for that car/engine to see what it will cope with. As its going to have a pretty big turbo I doubt you are going to be worrying about revs or compression ratios, just boost, airflow, cooling and fueling.

flynfrog

30 seconds of google found this

http://www.themotorhood.com/themotorhoo ... 000hp-4g63

they say 50-70 passes or more depending on the Con Rods. Yet they still haven't actually hit 1000hp.

Its a huge open ended question though

does the tuner know what they are doing?

What fuel are you running Methanol will likely wash down the rings at some point.

Pump fuel will hit detonation sooner. E85 might buy some head room.

If you start "tipping the can" (add Nitro methane) it will all end in tears quickly.

mitsos

i'm just curious about materials strength...we suppose that everything(programm,cooling system,oiling system)are working as they should...

J.A.W.

Its is about design parameters.

Are you taking an off-the-shelf production engine designed and constructed from materials to produce a reliable output
for a certain time between overhaul while running to expected economy/emissions measures, & built to a certain price?

Such as a regularpassenger road car ? Or an expensive racing-only engine which may yet be, constrained by 'formula' rules?

Or a heavy transport mill, which is expected to provide an economically predictable amount of work over time, where
size , weight & specific output while important, are not primary considerations.?

Or a lightweight engine for single-use military flight?

Or are you interested in destructive test cycles whereby the design parameters of an engine are specifically exceeded to
establish a finite failure profile?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

pgfpro

mitsos wrote:Hello to everyone...

Lets say that we have a 4cylinder engine(for example 4g63)that produces 1200hp...
How many kilometers do you believe this engine can last?or it is better to say...how many full throttle passes can handle?

Do you have any examples with such type of engines that has lasted for long??
Hard to say? Most people that are running these HP numbers on a 2.0L 4G63 are running WOT on a dyno or at the track going for it. I have a good friend that makes over 1200 HP on his 2.0L 4G63 and its not so much making the engine live is as it is keeping the drivetrain alive.

I'm sure that if it was just driven like your average passenger car with the boost turned down it could go several miles.
My street/strip 800HP 4G63 should be able to get around 40k miles on it before I redo it.
building the perfect beast

Gatecrasher

FYI, This is the engine he is talking about.

http://my.prostreetonline.com/2015/02/1 ... -the-4g63/