How is the forum rating system doing?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
mikeerfol

Re: How is the forum rating system doing?

I'm sure I had a downvote or 2, but they don't appear at my profile page, I only see the up votes I got.

flyboy2160

Cam wrote:....Maybe up votes needs a 2 tier system? One for "I agree" and another for "technically correct and valid"? That would at least separate popular opinion, which is important, from technical goodness?

What do you think?
I agree. I've previously said the same thing several times in PMs. I think we need a 3 tier voting system: agree/disagree, technical merit, and, my favorite, humor! Forget all this other stuff, who are the funny guys here?

Without separating the agreement votes from the technical votes, this messed up mix of popularity, agreement, and technical merit will just continue. Separating the voting would also reduce the need to post one line +1s and emoticons.

Going further, I'd like to see the voting functions mimic Facebook in that you can see the names of those voting.

crbassassin

Haters are gonna hate.

strad

I was viewing on my Kindle and noticed I could not up vote a post in ""Proposed 2017 F1 Aerodynamic Changes"".
However when I changed to my PC it worked fine.
Insight?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Steven
Owner

strad wrote:I was viewing on my Kindle and noticed I could not up vote a post in ""Proposed 2017 F1 Aerodynamic Changes"".
However when I changed to my PC it worked fine.
Insight?
Are you viewing the site in a regular browser? What's the screen size? Did you try to view in landscape?

strad

Heck if I know.
Just Google on my Kindle.
Truly no big thing as I almost never use the Kindle for internet stuff. Just killing time at the Dr.s office.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Steven
Owner

Well I had no idea you could browse the web with a kindle. Thought that was only for reading books.
I guess someone will have to donate my one to reproduce this :D

Then again, if you use the forum via tapatalk, voting is not possible either.

Pierce89

strad wrote:Heck if I know.
Just Google on my Kindle.
Truly no big thing as I almost never use the Kindle for internet stuff. Just killing time at the Dr.s office.
Click vote button. Click upvote button. Close vote menu. Reopen vote menu. Upvote. Works for me on mobile devices when I can't vote properly.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Andreykasam

How is the forum rating system doing

I must be blind or something, but I looked everywhere and even tried the password reset thing, but I dont see a way to change my password. I looked all over in profile settings. Am I not just seeing it? Can someone tell me what I need t do?

George-Jung

Re: How is the forum rating system doing

Andreykasam wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 17:46
I must be blind or something, but I looked everywhere and even tried the password reset thing, but I dont see a way to change my password. I looked all over in profile settings. Am I not just seeing it? Can someone tell me what I need t do?
User control settings -> edit account settings -> new password -> confirm password -> current password -> Submit.

strad

It seems to me that there is more than enough un-gentlemanly behavior on this site to go around.
Rude behavior and comments seem to rule the day.
Look how many thread are dominated by ongoing arguments without either side being willing to drop it and concede to agree to disagree. And using down votes as their weapon.
Sir Stirling Moss

dans79

strad wrote:
07 May 2018, 19:32
It seems to me that there is more than enough un-gentlemanly behavior on this site to go around.
Rude behavior and comments seem to rule the day.
Look how many thread are dominated by ongoing arguments without either side being willing to drop it and concede to agree to disagree. And using down votes as their weapon.
From what I've seen lately, people usually only get down voted for one of the following reasons.
  • being factually incorrect
  • ignoring verifiable facts
  • trolling
  • back handed or thinly veiled insults
The last two seem to be the heart of the issue lately imo.
197 104 103 7

Phil

strad wrote:
07 May 2018, 19:32
That is a good point. I wonder if it would help if everyone had a limit on posts in certain threads - e.g. 5 posts after the conclusion of a GP. That would stop people from repeating themselves over and over and force them to contemplate their post carefully in full before hitting the submit button - and then having to let that post stand on its own in merit.

If there was a limit on how much everyone had to say, perhaps we would be more thoughtful of what and how we use those limited words/posts. And those that keep wasting away theirs, will only be able to do so a limited amount of times.

No idea if something like this would actually work though in a practical sense. Not to mention it might be rather hard to realize technically i guess.

Then again, no matter how much is being posted, no one is actually forced to read it or respond. And sometimes it does make for great entertainment. So there goes that suggestion out the window...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

notsofast

The moderators should delete posts that don't adhere to the rules of the forum. No need to be wishy-washy about it. And create a bit of logic that automatically flags any post that contains the word "you".

Discuss the topic and never attack the poster.

Big Tea

notsofast wrote:
07 May 2018, 22:16
The moderators should delete posts that don't adhere to the rules of the forum. No need to be wishy-washy about it. And create a bit of logic that automatically flags any post that contains the word "you".

Discuss the topic and never attack the poster.
I find I learn as much or more from off topic posts as I do from the strictest reply. But, I joined this forum to learn and do find it distracting when posters seem to go for brownie points rather than truth. Yes, it is subjective, and differences of opinion are very, very informative and I do find it some times falls to the schoolboy level of ' you have a girls bike ' without explaining why. I like 'banter' and lap up differing opinion on a definition, but as you say, personal attacks and defamation does not fit in with the general ethos of the site.

I do enjoy debate, but please, easy on personal attacks hard on mis information.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.