Mercedes AMG Hyper Car

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
SR71

Mercedes AMG Hyper Car

Since this is now officially official we should have a dedicated thread.

I think the biggest confirmations to date are:
- F1 drive train
- 1:1 Power/Weight
- Gull wing doors
- Very much like Aston/Red Bull, we have a sketch that is close to the final design in the announcement
https://twitter.com/Andrew_Frankel/stat ... 2217372672 One thing to note is "drive train" is the term being used, powertrain hasnt been mentioned.

Curious how close to F1 spec the power unit will be.

diego.liv

Re: Mercedes AMG Hyper Car

IIRC they were talking about W07 influence on the aero too, maybe there'll be some "holes"/different-from-standard surfaces on the front of the car..OT:is it legal to have part of the suspension arms visible in road cars? Not saying usefull, but out of curiosity.
Also i was pretty sure rearview mirrors had to be in place like we know, as the ones we all have..but then i saw EQ's rearviews (maybe input from other Merc's concepts), it seems to consist in just a camera: are/will be these legal?

https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpres ... pg?w=1&h=1

SR71

Sorry didnt know FOXHOUND had already started a similar thread.

Perhaps we could merge these?

Cold Fussion

Well the other thread is a shitshow so perhaps we can keep this thread clean and secret.

humble sabot

hahaha I'm perfectly ok with that!
The AM-RB thread has become a shitshow too. I think it was due to the lack of finalization of hardware there was so much left to the imagination that the realists and the fanbois couldn't let anything go, and with nothing concrete from AM, no way to confirm who would be right.
I think the takeaway though is that it's a bear of a job and the proof is in the pudding.
But man am i excited to see the innards of the packages these two teams come up with. I want the gigantic coffee table book for these more than I have for anything else.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

SR71

Some PU updates for the hypercar....
But Wolff was keen to point out that the power unit will be entirely based on the current F1 engine and not just a normal production engine with F1-style technology added on.

"It's awesome that we have finally put an F1 engine, a real F1 engine, in a real road car -- this is not F1-like technology," Wolff said.
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/177 ... goosebumps

Zynerji

It will be very interesting to see how the power numbers change on pump gas.

DiogoBrand

Zynerji wrote:It will be very interesting to see how the power numbers change on pump gas.
The most interesting changes from my point of view will be the ones that make the engine last several thousand kilometers, instead of around 3000.

Tim.Wright

I'm not a motorista but I don't think it's something which requires a fundamental change in design - bearing in mind that they target is not an engine which does 150k kms in it's life with 20k km maintenance intervals.

For road cars the durability multiplier (a rule of thumb) for track use compared to road use is around 10-15. That means 3000km of track use would be equivalent to 30 000km of road use. I imagine adding a rev limiter and a less aggressive, more reliable mapping of the engine + energy recovery would significantly increase this even more.

Would be interesting to see what gearbox they will use and if they will run the powertrain as a stressed chassis member.
Not the engineer at Force India

bill shoe

Trend 1: F1 engines last much longer now than 20 years ago due to rules that limit the number of engines per season (engines now last ~ 3000 kms as already mentioned).

Trend 2: Ultra high-end "road" cars are turning into vehicles that require teams of high-end professional technicians to operate (a.k.a. race teams without the racing). So the acceptable life of an engine and the amount of labor to get it that far has trended sharply in the direction of much higher $ per km.

Combine the two trends and you have "road" cars circa 2017 that can use full-on F1 powertrains. And to be a curmudgeon, I don't think either trend makes sense. But the trends do undeniably meet in the middle to create hyper-car opportunities.

Just_a_fan

When hypercars have tyres that cost $40k per set (looking at you Bugatti Veyron) and that only do 2500 miles a set (Veyron again), servicing costs of $20-30k a time etc., an engine that only has 20k-40k miles of life is probably fairly moot. I doubt a Merc hypercar will see more than 10k miles in the car's entire lifetime.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bhall II

I wonder if this means Mercedes' F1 engine is about to change, because I gotta believe Ferrari, Renault, and Honda will all seek to quickly dissect whatever ends up in this car.

humble sabot

He he he, i see what you did there!
On the other hand, perhaps the next batch of "hypercars" will stop pussyfooting around the idea of aerodynamics with flashy articulated wings and instead of making glorified stagecoaches they'll start going back to first principles.

a kid can dream right?
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

humble sabot

Anyone heard when we're likely to see an unveiling? They're teasing it pretty early if we're going to have to wait till it's officially launched in '18 or '19 to see what it looks like.
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance