2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

LookBackTime

Re: 2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX PRACTICE

25 NOV 2016
FP1
Weather: Hot and dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 29-32°C / 34-38°C
V Bottas, FW38-03, PU106C Hybrid, 1:45.940 (15th)
F Massa, FW38-02, PU106C Hybrid, 1:45.039 (9th)
Quickest time: L Hamilton, 1:42.869

FP2
Air & Track Temperatures: 25-27°C / 27-30°C
V Bottas, FW38-03, PU106C Hybrid, 1:41.959 (7th)
F Massa, FW38-02, PU106C Hybrid, 1:12.42.268 (10th)
Quickest time: L. Hamilton 1:40.861

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: In general, we can be quite happy with today’s running. We ran a complex test programme in FP1, predominantly for next year, and have got some really interesting test results, which we’ll be carrying into the winter. FP2 was more concentrated on this weekend’s grand prix; running low and high fuel, both of which looked good. We tried two different set-up directions on the car, which has helped us understand and identify the clearest direction to work on for tomorrow. The high fuel on the ultrasoft tyre looked really good, and on the prime and option tyres we look reasonably competitive so, whilst we have a little bit of work to do on the car set-up and configuration tonight, overall we are looking in pretty good shape.

Valtteri Bottas: As a Friday, everything went well. In FP1 we were doing some pretty specific tests with the engine and aerodynamics so, from the lap times, it’s difficult to comment. But FP2 felt a lot better and it looks like we are where we have been at the last few races. Once again, we’re battling with Force India. But I know there are improvements we can make to the car and there’s plenty more to come tomorrow.

Felipe Massa: It was my last Friday so I would have loved to finished in first position! In fact, I’d like to do that on my last Saturday and especially my last Sunday too! Today we were trying to find out as much about the tyres and the car as we could, particularly on long runs. It won’t be an easy race, but I will definitely do everything I can to have a good result here in Abu Dhabi for my final grand prix. I will try to enjoy it as much as I can – but the best enjoyment will come from a good race result, so that’s what I’m hoping we can achieve on Sunday.

LookBackTime

26 NOV 2016
Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi
5.554km / 3.45 miles

Temperature: Air 26-27°C / Track 28-30°C

Q1
F. Massa 1:41.157 (9th)
V. Bottas 1:41.192 (11th)
Quickest time: L Hamilton 1:39.487

Q2
F. Massa 1:40.858 (9th)
V. Bottas 1:41.084 (11th)
Quickest time: L Hamilton 1:39.382

Q3
F. Massa 1:41.213 (10th)
V. Bottas -
Quickest time: L Hamilton 1:38.755

Qualifying Notes
• Felipe Massa qualified 10th and Valtteri Bottas 11th for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
• In Q1, both drivers were in the only cars on track running the supersoft tyres. Valtteri went out first for his one and only run and was initially P5, but dropped to P11 as others set their Q1 times. Felipe ran twice; once on the supersoft tyre for P11 and again on the ultrasoft tyres for P9 with a 1:41.771. Both drivers progressed to Q2
• In Q2, both drivers completed multiple laps on the ultrasoft tyre and the session ended with Felipe securing P9, whilst Valtteri struggled with grip throughout and was knocked out in P11 as the chequered flag fell. He now has a free tyre choice for tomorrow’s race
• Felipe set a single lap on ultrasoft tyres in Q3 of 1:41.213 for a P10 start in his final Formula One race

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: Felipe was more comfortable on the ultrasoft tyre than Valtteri today. It’s a shame Felipe wasn’t able to repeat his Q2 time to get himself into ninth rather than 10th. In Valtteri’s case, he just couldn’t get the qualifying tyre working. So, we’re 10th and 11th and that’s not where we want to be, but we won’t give up. We will keep pushing and do what we can. We’re in a position to get some points tomorrow and finish the season on an upward trajectory.

Felipe Massa: It definitely was not a very easy qualifying today, but I was happy with the result. To be honest, I wasn’t happy with the tyres but I just tried my hardest to set a good lap. I had a very good time in Q2, which was important. I definitely expected a bit more from my lap in Q3, but maybe I didn’t have as much grip in the tyres as Q2. We’re not far from where we expected to be and we will see what we can do compared to the other cars.

Valtteri Bottas: Obviously I would have liked to have been in Q3, but for some reason I couldn’t get any extra grip from the ultrasoft tyre compared to the supersoft. The car felt very good with the supersoft tyre, but I don’t feel like we got the most out of the qualifying tyre. However, tomorrow is a different game. P11 gives me a free choice of tyres for the race, so that can open up opportunities. Lately, Force India have been finishing races ahead of us so it would be nice to end the season with a good result for the whole team and for Felipe. There’s obviously a title battle on the line up at the front, so that could create quite an exciting race ahead.

LookBackTime

Williams gives Massa Brazilian GP car as leaving gift

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/willi ... ontent=www

bill shoe

Wow, tough year. Hoping to improve on 2014/15 result of 3rd Constructors, and ending up 5th. And realistically only 6th fastest by end of year. At least Massa finished his season and career with a couple points.

As always, Williams seem to have avoided the political melodrama that engulfs other teams during downturns, see Ferrari for example. The future at Williams looks relatively solid in terms of funding and people.

LookBackTime, thanks much as always, and hopefully you have more positive moments to post on next year.

Can't wait for 2017 pre-season!!

LookBackTime

ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

27 NOV 2016
Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi
4.309km / 2.677 miles

Weather: Warm and dry
Temperature: Air 25-27°C Track 27-30°C

Race Notes:

• Felipe Massa finished the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix ninth while Valtteri Bottas retired due to a suspension issue

• Both cars had a clean start on the ultrasoft tyre, moving up to ninth and 10th after a spin from Max Verstappen

• After battling teammate Felipe for ninth, Valtteri came into the pit with a rear suspension issue, which could not be resolved and resulted in retirement

• Felipe’s race got off to a strong start and he pitted from P10 for a new set of soft tyres, coming out P13. He made good progress from there, overtaking Romain Grosjean and ran as high as seventh before making his second pitstop for another set of new softs on lap 31

• He soon made it up to ninth, and was gaining on Sergio Perez in the closing stages of the race, taking the chequered flag in ninth

• The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix marked Valtteri’s 77th and Felipe’s 250th and final grand prix

• WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING has finished fifth in the 2016 Formula One Constructors’ Championship.

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: It was a tough race, as we expected it to be. Unfortunately, Valtteri went out with a rear suspension failure so we will look into that. Felipe drove a really good race in the car that he had and it was a fitting end to his career. Fernando Alonso gambled on a different tyre strategy but Felipe was able to hold him off until the end and finished ninth. It’s not where we really want to be but it was a good job by all the guys.

Thank you to all of the race team for the brilliant job they’ve all done. We know the car pace isn’t quick enough but they’ve never given up, always strived to get more performance and, between them all, they’ve done a really good job.

And of course, thanks to the two drivers.

Then there’s his family, who have supported him throughout his career – I don’t think he ever does a race without one member of his family – and they deserve some credit for that. I wish him all the best for his life in the future.
Felipe Massa: Well, I’m really proud to have been fighting up to the last lap of the race in the same way I fought in the first lap of my career! I want to say thank you to everyone – everyone who has been with me all the way, racing together. Thank you to the fans and to Williams, who I will keep supporting in the future! Thank you to everyone who has been part of everything I have been through. I have finished my career with my head up, the same way I started my career. I also took a little extra care with the car seeing as it will now be my car – thank you again to Williams for that gift!

Valtteri Bottas: It is disappointing to finish the race after only a few laps. When I was running P9, I felt something suddenly break in the rear of the car with the suspension and the car was pretty undriveable after that. We tried to fix it in the garage, but it was not possible so we had to retire. It is a shame to end the season like this, but it does mean that I’m now very much looking forward to next year.

LookBackTime

Tough season for Williams fans !!!

Now I am waiting for the new FW40 car !!!

Facts Only

So when will WF1 start making some changes? Perhaps the "head of vehicle performance" should be looking over his shoulder seeing as how there performance has now dipped below FIF1.

Williams seem to have completely lost the momentum they started the 2014 season with and failed capitalise on any of the opportunities they had when Merc floundered (unlike RB and Ferrari).

Will be interesting to see where they are next season, I see a monster fight in the midfield between a confident and financially boosted FIF1, an imporved Mclaren, Renault with their first 'poper' car, HAAS with a years learning and Williams. I think who comes 4th will (again) be a bigger fight than who comes 1st.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

bill shoe

Facts Only wrote:Will be interesting to see where they are next season, I see a monster fight in the midfield between a confident and financially boosted FIF1, an imporved Mclaren, Renault with their first 'poper' car, HAAS with a years learning and Williams. I think who comes 4th will (again) be a bigger fight than who comes 1st.
Generally agree. But why do you think FI will be financially boosted next year? And don't forget that Toro Rosso will have a current engine instead of the year-old lump they suffered in 2016!

But your bigger point is spot on. I think the final order of the top three teams will probably be clear after the first few races, but the midfield battle will be tooth and nail for every point all year long. Bernie should package and sell a second TV channel devoted only to the midfield fight.

Facts Only

Well FIF1 will have a little more prize money for 4th (although I'm not sure when they get that), but also a higher championship position and a couple of podiums will mean they can charge more to sponsors (all those images of Perez on the podium are what Mr Marketing wants to see). Also I assume (but not certain) that the switch from Hulkenburg (salaried driver?) to Ocon (Merc Funded?) will mean less money out and either some money in or an engine discount.

As for TR, I did think about that. They will be there-or-there-abouts but the big change in rules will (I believe) help those with a stable engine platfrom and more resources. FIF1, WF1, Mc, HAAS & Renault all have bigger budgets and are keeping the same engine supplier. TR will be designing a new car and (re)fitting a renault engine, so there resources will be spread more thinly.

My Guess for 4th-11th

Mc/WF1/FIF1 (huge battle)
Renault
HAAS
TR
Manor/Suber
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

LookBackTime

F1 - Williams must not lose Rob Smedley - boss
"Perhaps this year has forced us to wake up again"

29 November 2016 - 14h10, by GMM
Claire Williams says the British team she leads does not want to lose Rob Smedley.

In the past decade, British engineer Smedley’s career has been intricately linked with that of Felipe Massa, who headed into retirement at the chequered flag in Abu Dhabi.

And recently, Smedley indicated that he might follow his friend’s lead by easing off the F1 throttle.

"I’m thinking that in two or three years I’ll want to slow down a little," he said. "For professional reasons, coming to the races is the right thing, but on the personal side, I really miss my family."

Smedley’s comments come at the end of a solid but also difficult year for Williams, with founder Sir Frank Williams unwell and the team even falling behind Force India in the championship.

"When we started out restructuring, we said we would no longer tolerate our decline in results," team deputy boss Claire Williams said. "Then we had several successful seasons.

"Perhaps this year has forced us to wake up again."

Claire said the Grove based team had already identified the reasons for its problems in 2016 and would implement fixes for 2017.

"I don’t want to discuss in detail the causes of our problems — that would be wrong," she insisted. "But I know that we can solve them."

Asked if Smedley will be at the heart of those fixes, Williams answered: "Rob has done a great job since he joined the team and I do not expect any changes.

"He is an important part of the team, not just as a talented engineer, but also a very passionate person and that is what the team needs."

Told, however, that Smedley has mentioned easing off the throttle, Claire responded: "We can discuss that with him.

"He himself has to decide where his technical capacities will be most useful. Someone like Rob wants to progress and do more, and it’s not always just associated with work on the track. So we’ll see," she added.

LookBackTime

Autosport Williams Engineer of the Future 2016 - Autosport Awards

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... r-revealed

turbof1

We are closing the 2016 team threads. The 2017 Williams team thread can be found here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 15&t=25523
#AeroFrodo