2017 tyre testing cars

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
djos

Re: 2017 tyre testing cars

Manoah2u wrote:so wait, let me get this straight;

http://www.newsf1.it/wp-content/uploads ... 2W4282.jpg

the front wheels aren't alligned with the outer part of the rear wheels, but with the inner part?
meaning, the rear wheels stand outside of the front wheels? that can't do well for handling?!

i mean, i can see the rear wheels sticking out compared to the front wheels.

or is this just optic illusion?
not an illusion, you are correct. This isnt new to F1 tho at all.
"In downforce we trust"

Thunder

@Manoah2u: If you look at the Pictures on Page 10 it seems like the outer edges are alligned. So i would go for "Optical Illusion" although even in the Pic you posted it seems more like the outer edges are alligned than the inner ones.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

timbo

IMO this is to do with the fact that new tyres are fitted to the old suspension/hubs. It may be different on "real" cars.

djos

timbo wrote:IMO this is to do with the fact that new tyres are fitted to the old suspension/hubs. It may be different on "real" cars.
good point, although many F1 eras have had asymmetric track widths.
"In downforce we trust"

Tim.Wright

Manoah2u wrote: the front wheels aren't alligned with the outer part of the rear wheels, but with the inner part?
meaning, the rear wheels stand outside of the front wheels? that can't do well for handling?!
Why?

Just means you need different springs and bars to get the same roll stiffness.
Not the engineer at Force India

Manoah2u

the wider the front wheels are positioned, the more stable you can 'slam' the car into a corner.
offcourse different springs and bars will influence roll stiffness, but i personally would prefer having the wheels as far out as possible to 'allign'.
curious on how the cars will corner next year. will we get more 'rallying'?

either way, i'm happy the way the looks are going.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Henk

Manoah2u wrote:so wait, let me get this straight;

the front wheels aren't alligned with the outer part of the rear wheels, but with the inner part?

i mean, i can see the rear wheels sticking out compared to the front wheels.

or is this just optic illusion?
If the theory of old suspension new tires holds, the front and rear tires aren't aligned with the inner or the outer part. The current rears are wider than the fronts and the alignment is on the outer part.

I just had to be nitpicky. I think the new regs state a singular track width. So the outer parts will be aligned if my understanding of the relationship between track width and grip is correct.

Postmoe

Those cars are way too fat for some tracks. Don't get me wrong, I'm like Sir Mix A Lot, likin'em with back. But some GP's are going to bee dull.

Tim.Wright

Manoah2u wrote:the wider the front wheels are positioned, the more stable you can 'slam' the car into a corner.
Based on what exactly?

The response of the front and the rear axles depends on dozens of things of which many create redundant effects. In other words a change of track width can be compensated for using springs, arbs, roll centre heights, ackerman geom etc to reproduce the original behaviour (if you really want it so bad).
Not the engineer at Force India

zac510

manoah2u, go have a look at a Ferrari 360 (or similar) and you'll see the rear track is narrower than the front. It's different to F1 again. Vehicle dynamics is weird (and hard)!

Holm86

zac510 wrote:manoah2u, go have a look at a Ferrari 360 (or similar) and you'll see the rear track is narrower than the front. It's different to F1 again. Vehicle dynamics is weird (and hard)!
Track is measured from center to center of the wheels, so you need a wider track at the front, if you have wider tires at the rear, if you still want the outside of the tires to be aligned.

I really really wish they could enforce a maximum wheelbase which would be shorter than today. It looks terrible, and make the cars too stable.

Formula Wrong

Postmoe wrote:Those cars are way too fat for some tracks. Don't get me wrong, I'm like Sir Mix A Lot, likin'em with back. But some GP's are going to bee dull.
They aren't. The narrowest part in Baku, which is 7.6 meters, would in theory be enough for 3 cars (while still having some space between them).

In Monaco, too, the track often seems narrower than it actually is:

It's further explained in this article.

So the width shouldn't cause any concerns about that.
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

Manoah2u

lol, how can we talk about wide cars being a problem, did people forget the pre '98 era so fast?

and really, it ain't that huge a difference, it's more visually impacting then actual measurements - though offcourse it will also have great performance results.

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Blackout

Thunders wrote:whoever thinks next Years Cars will look like A1GP's needs some serious Glasses.
I meant the rear wing (endplates) and I wrote RW but when I edited the link later, I inadvertently deleted 'RW' :P

Postmoe

[quote="Manoah2u"]lol, how can we talk about wide cars being a problem, did people forget the pre '98 era so fast?

/quote]

Because it's far away, and you are older than me. My memories of F1 start a couple of years after Senna's death and then everything was magical, no tech involved for a kid. 2000's as a starting point for a more in depth understanding, although very basic. And the first cars I started to understand were the infamous turbulent masters, the likes of Toyota "follow me" diffuser-cars...

So, perhaps irrationally, when I consider those cars plus some wider track I get concerned.