Red Bull RB13 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Red Bull RB13 Speculation Thread

This is the speculation thread about the 2017 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.

Topic will be unlocked after the season finisher in Abu Dhabi.
#AeroFrodo

lio007

Re: Red Bull RB13 Speculation Thread

ENGINE TUNER

So what is the lowdown on this massive downforce production that RBR is rumored to have found for 2017? Many rumors regarding a long wheel base but not much other than whispers.

With a wider track, huge tires and a long wheel base these 2017 cars are going to be land yachts, about the same footprint as a current LMP1?(and almost as heavy)

Just_a_fan

I would guess it's RedBull pulling their usual mind games to try to put off the opposition. If they had found massive downforce they would keep it very quiet. They'd just turn up at the first test (or even leave it to the first race) and blow everyone away.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SR71

Just_a_fan wrote:I would guess it's RedBull pulling their usual mind games to try to put off the opposition. If they had found massive downforce they would keep it very quiet. They'd just turn up at the first test (or even leave it to the first race) and blow everyone away.
Red Bull hasn't played any mind games. All whispers are from outside sources. It's not like Red Bull is known for bragging about development or lying about performance, they leave those sorts of things to Mclaren.

ME4ME

I think most speculation comes from simulation data provided by the teams to Pirelli, leaked by the FIA. AMuS had an article about it which indicated one team to be ahead:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 79894.html

However more recently Pirelli have stated that 2017 predictions are converging towards a much smaller range of laptimes:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/teams ... li-847584/

djos

Just_a_fan wrote:I would guess it's RedBull pulling their usual mind games to try to put off the opposition. If they had found massive downforce they would keep it very quiet. They'd just turn up at the first test (or even leave it to the first race) and blow everyone away.
Even Williams sources have been making noises about amazing aero gains being made on a frequent basis.
"In downforce we trust"

Formula Wrong

djos wrote:
Even Williams sources have been making noises about amazing aero gains being made on a frequent basis.
Massive Aero gains compared to this year, as far as i know. It doesn't necessarily mean massive gains compared to other teams :wink:

I do think that Red Bull will build a great car, given that they've often had the best aerodynamics.
ME4ME wrote: However more recently Pirelli have stated that 2017 predictions are converging towards a much smaller range of laptimes:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/teams ... li-847584/
That'd be awsome but i'm not sure the article refers to the gap between lap times of different teams but rather the gap between lap times now, the start of 2017, and the end of 2017 in genereal?
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

Blackout

lol
-RBR is one of the designers of these rules
-they know their stuff regarding aerodynamics
-and the new rules should somehow Image suit their aerodynamic philosophy with their love for super-large FWs (Newey absolutely wanted the FW to be as large as possible and refused any narrowing) and their raky car which will continue to generate a lot of DF at the front and the centre too and might be more naturally 'balanced' than many other cars.

Juzh

Blackout wrote: -and the new rules should somehow http://www.rf1-forum.com/phpBB3/images/ ... histle.gif suit their aerodynamic philosophy with their love for super-large FWs (Newey absolutely wanted the FW to be as large as possible and refused any narrowing)
Source on this?
It would make sense though, as red bull is the only team left not to fully commit to the aggressive outwash FW design. They tried it a few times this season but it quickly disapeared off the car. Having a wider FW would make their job easier in that area as less wake management FW elements would be required for the same effect (aka similar to what they're already doing).

Pierce89

Juzh wrote:
Blackout wrote: -and the new rules should somehow http://www.rf1-forum.com/phpBB3/images/ ... histle.gif suit their aerodynamic philosophy with their love for super-large FWs (Newey absolutely wanted the FW to be as large as possible and refused any narrowing)
Source on this?
It would make sense though, as red bull is the only team left not to fully commit to the aggressive outwash FW design. They tried it a few times this season but it quickly disapeared off the car. Having a wider FW would make their job easier in that area as less wake management FW elements would be required for the same effect (aka similar to what they're already doing).
I was also wondering about a source on the claim about Newsy.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Blackout

The sources are two articles from AMuS and Speedweek from 2015 or 2016 AFAIR but I couldnt find them.

lio007

2017 mockup by @seanbulldesign

I like it!

DiogoBrand

lio007 wrote:2017 mockup by @seanbulldesign

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cy_xok0WgAAgeID.jpg:large

I like it!
Just forgot the beam wing there.

Scuderia1967