2016 Red Bull Racing team - TAG Heuer

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ME4ME

Re: 2016 Red Bull Racing team - TAG Heuer

I think they will use Mobil1 fuel as much as they use a TAG-Heuer engine, if you see what I mean.

f1316

Right, well if that's the case, then cool.

But right now (we are at least told that) they are using total fuels and that total will come out with a new fuel to match Renault's PU updates/increase performance; if Renault continues using Total or, as the article suggests, move to castrol but RB have Mobil/Exxon all over their car, are Total/Castrol going to be happy supplying fuel to them?

What if RB are winning races with Total/Castrol fuel in their car but the winning car has a competitor's name plastered all over it? Are Total/Castrol going to be happy with that arrangement?

Seems more complicated than meets the eye and not an obvious thing to do, if you ask me.

NL_Fer

What if Renault asked Total to supply Redbull with a different spec anyway. Would'n they be better of with an own supplyer, dedicated to deliver no1 fuel?

ME4ME

f1316 wrote:Right, well if that's the case, then cool.

But right now (we are at least told that) they are using total fuels and that total will come out with a new fuel to match Renault's PU updates/increase performance; if Renault continues using Total or, as the article suggests, move to castrol but RB have Mobil/Exxon all over their car, are Total/Castrol going to be happy supplying fuel to them?

What if RB are winning races with Total/Castrol fuel in their car but the winning car has a competitor's name plastered all over it? Are Total/Castrol going to be happy with that arrangement?

Seems more complicated than meets the eye and not an obvious thing to do, if you ask me.
I fully agree, it's a somewhat weird solution. I guess the same goes for Williams and their PetroBras deal, which is purely a marketing excersise at the moment. If I recall correctly their technical partnership failed because the Mercedes PU wasn't optimized to PetroBras' fuel.

Wouldn't surpise me at all if once Red Bull are regular winners that Total will "leak" the fact that they were supplying fuel all along, and take credit for it.

lio007

lio007

A very entertaining half of an hour:
https://twitter.com/redbullracing/statu ... 1905431552

ME4ME

Red Bull extends TAG Heuer naming partnership
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-b ... ip-853877/

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Juzh

Would be pretty stupid of red bull if this now means they'll be in a similar situation to what mclaren found themselves in back in 2014. Williams went with the smart way of sticking with the petronas liquids despite being sponsored by petrobras.

Paul

Unless they are obliged to actually use Mobil liquids, they are in a good position, able to compare products from two companies and choose the best one.

ME4ME

There were also rumours of Renault switching from Total to Castrol. If thats the case, Total will be leaving F1 all together and might be willing to sell their fuel formula. I expect that whatever fuel Renault choses to optimize their PU for, will be used by Red Bull and Toro Rosso as well.

I think this is as much a marketing partnership as it is a technical partnership, but it's fine if it brings in the cash. In the end it's yet another big sponsor that Red Bull has taken over from Mclaren.

lio007

Juzh wrote:Would be pretty stupid of red bull if this now means they'll be in a similar situation to what mclaren found themselves in back in 2014. Williams went with the smart way of sticking with the petronas liquids despite being sponsored by petrobras.
It is believed that RBR tried Mobil products for quite a while on their VTT with encouraging results.

F1NAC

lio007 wrote:
Juzh wrote:Would be pretty stupid of red bull if this now means they'll be in a similar situation to what mclaren found themselves in back in 2014. Williams went with the smart way of sticking with the petronas liquids despite being sponsored by petrobras.
It is believed that RBR tried Mobil products for quite a while on their VTT with encouraging results.
wouldnt that be a bit silly? to outpreform manufacturer with different lubrication and fuel?

lio007

F1NAC wrote:
lio007 wrote:
wouldnt that be a bit silly? to outpreform manufacturer with different lubrication and fuel?
Nobody said RBR will outperform Renault. As long as they match the TOTAL products I don't think it's a silly move from RBR.
On the other hand, IMO, we (outside the team) will never know the real performance difference between TOTAL and Mobil.

PlatinumZealot

Performance should be the same. You have an ideal fuel melocule.. You cant adulterate it too much with additives because there is a flow limit. So the trick is to choose a balance between hydrocarhon and additive. And also as much as possible try to makee each hydrocarbone chain an ideal designer chain.. Of whatever length that is i have I no clue.. But there is an ideal blance and you can bet that all the fuel manufacturers know it. Just a mater of who can synthesize it closest to the ideal.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏