My F1 car according 2017 regs

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
ClarkBT11

Re: My F1 car according 2017 regs

George-Jung wrote:
k.ko100v wrote:
I am really glad that you like it. It means a lot for me.
Why if I may ask?
He obviously respects turbo's appreciation of the efforts k has made. There must be a reason he's a moderator or did he win his title in a raffle...

turbof1

My opinion on this has no special value. My comments are made as a member, not as a moderator.
k.ko100v wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Very nicely done.

I saw you used a quite modest outwash design. Are you thinking about the larger bargeboards requiring less outwash/flow control from the wings?
Thank you.

Actually no. I really have no idea how will the bigger bargeboards affect the front wing design. I make that wing without any flow simulations. Maybe when the car is finished I will run some simulations too see how is shaped the flow. Beside that I have further plans to upgrade that wing, and the upgrade is focused at increasing the outwash effect. The side endplate will be different. The hole wing will be with minimum 7 elements. But i want first to finish the car.

Regards,
Krasen
The outboard section of the 2017 front wings us quite a mistery given we have bigger front tyres, with the increased length of the wing not covering the full increase width of the tyres, giving the impression even more outwash is needed. However, McLaren tested a front wing with a very minimal outwash design. It could suggest the bigger bargeboards are going to have a significant role in controlling tyre wake, or that simply more downforce of the front wing is required to balance the increase in downforce at the rear. But that's not certain, so that is why I am curious at your own approach. Either way, I do think you got the inboard section spot on, as this is the design where most teams were moving towards to, being pioneered by Mercedes in 2014. It looks mighty difficult to get that curvature done in SolidWorks. Especially because I believe there is a maximum limit on surface area in the inboard section and you are designing according the technical regulations.
#AeroFrodo

k.ko100v

ClarkBT11 wrote:
George-Jung wrote:
k.ko100v wrote:
Why if I may ask?
He obviously respects turbo's appreciation of the efforts k has made. There must be a reason he's a moderator or did he win his title in a raffle...
Actually yes, Turbos point of view in many topics always matches with mine and I respect it. :)
turbof1 wrote: The outboard section of the 2017 front wings us quite a mistery given we have bigger front tyres, with the increased length of the wing not covering the full increase width of the tyres, giving the impression even more outwash is needed. However, McLaren tested a front wing with a very minimal outwash design. It could suggest the bigger bargeboards are going to have a significant role in controlling tyre wake, or that simply more downforce of the front wing is required to balance the increase in downforce at the rear. But that's not certain, so that is why I am curious at your own approach. Either way, I do think you got the inboard section spot on, as this is the design where most teams were moving towards to, being pioneered by Mercedes in 2014. It looks mighty difficult to get that curvature done in SolidWorks. Especially because I believe there is a maximum limit on surface area in the inboard section and you are designing according the technical regulations.
Yea, the tires are wider, the wing also, And the delta length between them is bigger. Since 2014 we have delta of 75mm. From 2017 the delta length will be 100mm. I think that the outwash will be more expressed than before.
As the Mclaren "new" front wing test I am also very curious what did they wanted to test actually. A wing without outwash effect, or to simulate how the flow after the wing will interacts whit wider tire surface. That somehow give me a reason to think that the inner section will be more aggressively curved.

fredtome

Do you have more pictures or a 3d file to run a CFD simulation?

Phillyred

George-Jung wrote:
k.ko100v wrote:
Why if I may ask?
Validation?

k.ko100v

fredtome wrote:Do you have more pictures or a 3d file to run a CFD simulation?
Yeah, I can make a lot of pictures from any angle that I want.
About the CFD, if there is someone who has a desire and ability to run CFD, please to PM me. I would be very happy to give him the file for tests and analysis.

A pictures with the tires.

I am continuing with the work.

Regards,
Krasen

George-Jung

Phillyred wrote:
George-Jung wrote:
k.ko100v wrote:
Why if I may ask?
Validation?
It was not me trying to be a d!ck..
I trully found it interesting that he said that Turbo's opinion means a lot to him.

But lets move on.

k.ko100v

Hello guys,

The progress so far.
Again the focus was on the front wing. I try to start building the car behind the front wheels but that wing just "pulls my eyes".
Also I had a proposal for computer simulations, and I didn't want to send it unfinished. I fine tuned every single flap. I can't believe how many hours I've spend for this, and in the end it looks like, nothing. :D
I can say now, that the developing process is a very hard and tricky job. At some point I was thinking that it will be better, if I start it form scratch.
The visible results: The last and upper flap is completely different. Extended by the limit for better outwash effect. Also the endplate is slightly different. The 3rd flap has some changes at its ending.

More developing to come, this week.

Regards,
Krasen
Last edited by k.ko100v on 19 Dec 2016, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

bidong

That is a beautiful front wing.

The next should be the nose, the FW mountings, and the front suspension. Excited to see your work.

Keep em coming.

bidong

k.ko100v

bidong wrote:That is a beautiful front wing.

The next should be the nose, the FW mountings, and the front suspension. Excited to see your work.

Keep em coming.

bidong
Thanks a lot Bidong.

Yeah, all those parts needs developing. But the nose and mountings maybe at some latter stage.
Now, the endplates :)

A little bit aggressive and unusual endplates. May be there is a reason for that we haven't seen them before. I don't know how effective they are but I like them :)

The next update will be the connections between the flaps and the endplate. It is very challenging from a design point of view.

Regards,

Krasen

Holm86

Really like your front wing, very aggressive end plate design. Mercedes and others tried something similar, not quite as aggressive though. But maybe you could use it as inspiration on how to fix it to the flaps.

SR71

Are your front tires 2017 spec?

k.ko100v

Holm86 wrote:Really like your front wing, very aggressive end plate design. Mercedes and others tried something similar, not quite as aggressive though. But maybe you could use it as inspiration on how to fix it to the flaps.
http://cdn-7.motorsport.com/images/amp/ ... ian-gp.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6RpP1uucYc
Thank you Holm.
Yeah, the connections will be something similar. The concept is in my head from a long ago, but it is difficult to implement it.
SR71 wrote:Are your front tires 2017 spec?
Yes, 305mm width of the contact surface and the overall width is 367mm
12.4.1 Complete wheel width must lie between 365mm and 380mm when fitted to the front of the car and between 450mm and 465mm when fitted to the rear.

Ft5fTL

Impressive work so far, i wonder what kinda numbers will that front wing give on cfd test.

From your first post you said that you started to learn how to model in SolidWorks. Did you follow any particular tutorial or just learning via poking around and searching trough web?
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

k.ko100v

Ft5fTL wrote:Impressive work so far, i wonder what kinda numbers will that front wing give on cfd test.

From your first post you said that you started to learn how to model in SolidWorks. Did you follow any particular tutorial or just learning via poking around and searching trough web?
Thank you very much!

I've watched a lot of videos and tutorials. Some of them good and explained in details, some not so good but like I said before, the most helpful tutorials for me were the videos of Peter-Vertex. He explain a lot of surface modeling techniques, which are a very good start.

I am happy to share that the second spec of the wing is ready. I will try to run some CFD simulations tonight trough SolidWorks, to see some numbers.
I've made some shots of it, with some details.
In summary - more than 450 sketches in more than 30 different planes and more than 500 features.