2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Starscreamer

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Joseki wrote:Who knows what livery will they use next year. I think they'll use the current black base with more red stuff.
Hope to see the Castrol livery.
Mutch better then the ugly 2016 McLaren livery.
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

Thunder

Too much Italy in that Livery.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

diffuser

Didn't Wazari suggest that Mobil didn't make their fuel ?

If so, they're just another stick on the car.

bauc

diffuser wrote:Didn't Wazari suggest that Mobil didn't make their fuel ?

If so, they're just another stick on the car.
He confirmed that Mobil 1 was a supplier, go few pages back or do a direct search on his posts. However, I still think that the Castrol BP deal will happen, now its just a matter on what scale.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

shotzski

This is an excerpt from Joe Saward's article regarding BP.
am still expecting to hear that Renault has done a big deal with BP, as the McLaren deal announced some weeks ago seems to be only a fuel and lubricant partnership and not a sponsorship. I believe the proposed BP-Renault deal will be for about $35 million
Last edited by shotzski on 06 Dec 2016, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

mrluke

Rethinking it, Wazari didnt actually say that BP would just be a sticker, he said it was possible that the stickers on the car didnt match the products actually used on it.

That could be interpreted to mean that Mclaren haven't been using Mobil products and have actually been with BP for a while anyway..?

Thunder

Unlikely, wasn't there even on of the Top Development Guys of Exxon holding a Press Conference about the Fuel and Lubricant development this Season? More likely they will keep using Exxon Products while having BP/Castrol on the Car.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Big Mangalhit

I really can't see McLaren advertising BP and using exxon fuel. It made sense in Williams and FIndia since the engines come from merc and they used the fuels that were designed to go with the engine, then they just put stickers and pronto.
It also makes sense that RB will still use total fuels even with exxon partnership, same idea, engines come from Renault together with their engineers and their fluids.

Now why would Mobil keep making improvements and developments and supplying McLaren/Honda without the pub of it. If there was a Honda engine on another car maybe, but since there isn't I find it highly unlikely.

diffuser

Thunders wrote:Unlikely, wasn't there even on of the Top Development Guys of Exxon holding a Press Conference about the Fuel and Lubricant development this Season? More likely they will keep using Exxon Products while having BP/Castrol on the Car.
Wouldn't they be the only ones allowed to make such Press conferences ?

For me the only thing I take from this is that no matter what the sticker is on the outside it will have no effect on what's inside.

I also don't get really excited about which stickers and quantity of stickers on the car.

I also feel that Honda is the dog and the fuel and lubricants are the tail. Honda wags the fuel and lubricants(aka they dictate the requirements). So whether they're asking Castrol to make them BP or Mobil...it doesn't make much difference. That being said, I'm way out my element and firmly into my ARM chair on this one!

mrluke

I think it comes down to the knock resistance and combustion speed of the fuel, as I understand it these are the primary limiting factors on PU total power. A "new player" isn't going to be able to just deliver a fuel that has the same properties straight away.

I think that the fuel Mercedes, Honda, Renault, Ferrari would really like is not yet available, therefore they are dependent upon the research and development undertaken by their fuel partners.

Daliracing

Vandoorne has choosen number 2 as his racenumber

Manoah2u

Daliracing wrote:Vandoorne has choosen number 2 as his racenumber
clear nr.2 driver it is then :mrgreen:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

dr.chaos

Let's not underestimate Vandoorne. He'll be 'learning' for sure (and for a while now), so he'll be up against other greats in no time.

Manoah2u

We'll find out soon enough whether he's a next 'hamilton' or a next 'kovalainen'. I think he's the latter, but i'd like to see some quality drivers in the field, so i hope he's great.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Joseki

Everything Vandoorne did until now was stellar, how could you be so sure he's the next Kovalainen? I'm pretty sure he be closer to Alonso than Button.