2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Joseki wrote:According to F1AT Zak Brown started some talks to take Allison on board but he's no longer available having signed a pre contract with Mercedes, so now he's started some talks with Paddy Lowe that should be on the way out from Mercedes searching for another team to bring to the top.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk
Paddy Lowe inherited this Mercedes Car & Team from Ross Brawn !!!

Paddy Lowe was the person responsible for McLaren's up and down performances until he left, always trying to produce a "rocket ship car" instead of building up over years like RB and Merc.

Paddy Lowe is severely overrated and must stay away from McLaren !!!! [-o< [-o<

Andres125sx

proteus wrote:
graham.reeds wrote:Button has never been a good qualifier. He was only on pole once with McLaren. To cap it off he finds it hard to go fast if the car isn't just right whereas Alonso can make any car look more impressive than it is.
Force of the Alonso fanboyism is strong in this comment. Alonso was nowhere when the car wasnt suiting him. And he did 3 rookie mistakes in this season, costing him twice of points. Button bashing is not fair at all. Button had its higher share of bad luck in this year + whole team somewhat leaned towards Alonso in the car development. Not saying that Alonso is one of best, but seriously a bit tired of praises regarding him. Truly i would be glad if he would take another seat elsewhere and having Button staying.
Force of the Alonso haterism is strong in this comment :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
proteus wrote:Alonso was nowhere when the car wasnt suiting him.
Do you mean when car wasn´t good enough to enter Q2? Then I agree, but that´s the same for any other driver. If that´s not what you mean then please clarify
proteus wrote:Truly i would be glad if he would take another seat elsewhere and having Button staying.
Strong haterism in this sentence. You must trully hate someone to hope the fastest driver leave the team and keep the one who was fairly beated

Manoah2u

Lol anyone hatin' and critisizing Alonso this season, after he crashed like crazy thanks to Guiterrez in a crash that had the potential to actually kill him right there - is out of their g*dd*mn mind.

He flew through the air hard, twisted and turned on angle, got smahsed into the ground AND the walls and limped away with rib injury and a sore feet iirc. He wanted to RACE the NEXT RACE,
but the FIA didn't greenlight him. That's how much motivation and a absolute BOSS Alonso is. Not just that, but he has not lost any of his speed and craft at all. The latter part of this season he had great battles - Brazil just to name one - which were stellar and stunning to watch.

Alonso is the best you can get - guaranteed - besides Hamilton [ and i actually concider Alonso better ].
Button is the last one left that can make a punch not the least thanks to his immense experience, but has retired.

Alonso vs Button is simple; Alonso on top. Button is a great driver and i rate him high, but Alonso is out of this world.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

nokivasara

I don't think any driver in the history of F1 has been able to extract as close to 100% of the car as Alonso. He is a freak really.
2017 will be interesting for Mclaren, with the new regs and Ron Dennis gone. It'll be interesting how they handle sponsor-negotiations from now on. Honda has nowhere to hide next year, they must be on par with the competition, and I think they will be.

diffuser

Yep, I agree. If Honda + Mclaren get him close, he'll put some hurt on the other teams.

PlatinumZealot

mclaren111 wrote:
Joseki wrote:According to F1AT Zak Brown started some talks to take Allison on board but he's no longer available having signed a pre contract with Mercedes, so now he's started some talks with Paddy Lowe that should be on the way out from Mercedes searching for another team to bring to the top.

Paddy Lowe was the person responsible for McLaren's up and down performances until he left, always trying to produce a "rocket ship car" instead of building up over years like RB and Merc.

McLaren always alternated their technical directors year by year. You had tim goss and paddy lowe... Guess who was repsonsible for the quick cars? Paddy. As for Goss he is no good. His cars were always slow out of the box (2009,2011) and by shear luck or maybe paddy intervening the team somehow managed to make those Goss cars work.

After paddy left all the cars were Goss' and we know how that ended..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zeph

nokivasara wrote:I don't think any driver in the history of F1 has been able to extract as close to 100% of the car as Alonso. He is a freak really.
Yup. I think Button's 21 points more realistically indicate how good the McLaren-Honda was this year. That is also why I'm not that optimistic about their prospects for next season.

Alonso's 54 points was just Alonso doing what he does.

proteus

Do you mean when car wasn´t good enough to enter Q2? Then I agree, but that´s the same for any other driver. If that´s not what you mean then please clarify
Agreed, i meant exactly that. When the car was not up to pace, he didnt/couldnt deliver. But some people still write he is like a superman, adding 30 hp to the engine with just sitting in the car. I tried to prove this point and aparently failed to do so (u were the only one recognizing my intention, so points for u :wink: )
Lol anyone hatin' and critisizing Alonso this season, after he crashed like crazy thanks to Guiterrez in a crash that had the potential to actually kill him right there - is out of their g*dd*mn mind.
Im not hating, but i highly dislike him, because of his diva persona and his demand he is the only violin in the team. His attitude is the cause of lower total performanses of the teams he was driving in. What happened when he didnt get what he demanded in 07? Rookie got him matched on the track, and what did he do? He intentionally ratted out its own team for imunity and somehow he wasnt in the justice mood in the next season, getting victory with a Piquet piruete. Ok, Mclaren cheated in 07, all fair they got penalised, but his twofaced and hipokritic attitude was shown in that two seasons.
Alonso is the best you can get - guaranteed - besides Hamilton [ and i actually concider Alonso better ].
Alonso is the best what u can get - YES, but he is the worst u can get for a team effort, because he will demand all the attention for himself and himself only, leaving the other guy fighting for the scraps which affects the team standing at the end of the season.

Not fair to judge me being out of my g*dd*mn mind only for not smiling and notting to the general publics opinion. I dislike arogant and selfish people. He is both of that, and he is bad for the team im rooting for. Thats what i feel and i believe. No need to be rude for it.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Mansell89

PlatinumZealot wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

McLaren always alternated their technical directors year by year. You had tim goss and paddy lowe... Guess who was repsonsible for the quick cars? Paddy. As for Goss he is no good. His cars were always slow out of the box (2009,2011) and by shear luck or maybe paddy intervening the team somehow managed to make those Goss cars work.

After paddy left all the cars were Goss' and we know how that ended..
The presence of Tim Goss severely worries me. I seriously hope Prodromou has won the battle of influence there.

This is more aero formula, and that's what Prodromou was brought here to do.

I also have doubts about Paddy- that Mercedes car had such a head start on everyone with the way they nailed that engine (thank Ross Brawn for getting that developed early) that we don't really know how good Merc will be in an Aero battle once the power unit performances begin to converge.

I think Paddy inherited a great situation there.

McLaren showed genuine pace when he was there yes, but reading between the lines it sounded like they never really understood their own performance hence the up/down years. I'm sure there's a quote somewhere about 2011 or 2012 where they said they were quick but had no idea why?!

And then 2013 testing they were quick but realised they had some parts fitted incorrectly or something like that? (Then discovered it was an absolute dog of a car)

Joseki

I think more than anything Paddy Lowe has a great knowledge on the mechanical side of the chassis and on the Pirelli tyres.

Andres125sx

proteus wrote:Im not hating, but i highly dislike him, because of his diva persona and his demand he is the only violin in the team. His attitude is the cause of lower total performanses of the teams he was driving in. What happened when he didnt get what he demanded in 07?
Nothing, maybe you can´t remind but he accepted equal treatment with a rookie despite being the current two times world champion, and the unquestionable evidence is the alternating strategy priority the got from first GP

How many WDC would accept that? Fair question, please reply

Then there was all sort of problems inside the team, including preferential treatment to the rookie showed in Monaco, when Lewis put a claim agains Alonso, and Dennis did NOTHING.

What sort of team principal accept one of his drivers claiming against the other and ruining a 1-2 for the team? Only one who paid Lewis career since he was 12. Any other would have stopped that claim and solve it internally, but Dennis didn´t and they started the race 1-5 instead of 1-2. BTW, that claim was caused by an incident caused by Lewis, he didn´t let Alonso pass when he was asked to do so by the team (alternating strategy priority). Then Alonso kept stopped 10 seconds more than neccessary while asking the team the reason they put used tires to try the pole and Lewis didn´t have time for a second attempt for the pole, and put the claim.

Incident initially caused by Lewis, Lewis put a claim, and causes a harm to the team who did nothing to stop it.

Heck you just need to look at wall reaction when Lewis made a pole or when it was Alonso, Lewis was team favourite by far, but some people still insist saying Alonso didn´t accept equal treatment. Alonso did accept equal treatment as first third of the season proves, it´s favouritism to the rookie driver what he didn´t accept.

Alonso moving from best team to a poor Renault next season, despite there was a valid contract with McLaren, is another unquestionable evidence. Who would be so stupid to change a winning car with a midfielder at best if he was receiving equal treatment? None. In F1 (confidentiality clauses all around) you can´t get a more solid evidence than this. Nobody can tell us the truth, but facts are facts, a top driver with a valid contract with best team will only move to a midfielder if he´s receiving a very unfair treatment in that team

ALO_Power

proteus wrote:
Agreed, i meant exactly that. When the car was not up to pace, he didnt/couldnt deliver. But some people still write he is like a superman, adding 30 hp to the engine with just sitting in the car. I tried to prove this point and aparently failed to do so (u were the only one recognizing my intention, so points for u :wink: )
Im not hating, but i highly dislike him, because of his diva persona and his demand he is the only violin in the team. His attitude is the cause of lower total performanses of the teams he was driving in. What happened when he didnt get what he demanded in 07? Rookie got him matched on the track, and what did he do? He intentionally ratted out its own team for imunity and somehow he wasnt in the justice mood in the next season, getting victory with a Piquet piruete. Ok, Mclaren cheated in 07, all fair they got penalised, but his twofaced and hipokritic attitude was shown in that two seasons.
Alonso is the best what u can get - YES, but he is the worst u can get for a team effort, because he will demand all the attention for himself and himself only, leaving the other guy fighting for the scraps which affects the team standing at the end of the season.

Not fair to judge me being out of my g*dd*mn mind only for not smiling and notting to the general publics opinion. I dislike arogant and selfish people. He is both of that, and he is bad for the team im rooting for. Thats what i feel and i believe. No need to be rude for it.
Honestly man, I had a different opinion of a user like you but now you destroyed everything. You just talk over extremely high emotion charge and huge fanaticism, and obviously you're just another Alonso hater. Why? Because all the arguments you gave are invalid by facts and history itself.

1) When the car is not up to pace Alonso can't deliver.
Biggest joke on the planet. Alonso is famous for delivering even with a very poor car ! What you want to remember? Ferrari? With which he lost many championships over few points while not being the best car ???? Or McLaren-Honda ? McLaren, a car that struggles to get even into the midfield and he scored 54 points (10th) while Button scored 21 (15th). And by the way, in any season he demolished any of his team mates by much! Just go find where Massa finished in 2010 or 2012 or whatever. So ye, Alonso is always giving the 120% of the given car and he's still on it even being much older than anyone! Why you think everyone believes it and why you think he is the highest paid driver on the grid?

2) He is a diva.
He's definitely a famous diva but that's not bad at all. He just helps marketing that way.

3) He doesn't accept an equal car.
Another huge joke, check Anders' summary because I'm not gonna retype it. He accepted equal treatment after being 2 time world champion with a rookie and McLaren did everything to protect Lewis and sabotage Alonso. Very proven. So he had the balls to leave for an inferior team and don't just get treated like an idiot. And remember! I don't mean treated as equal or no.2 I mean DELIBERATELY getting sabotaged ! So he never had a problem with it. These are the fact of that year and not the blackmail stories...

4) Worst in team effort.
Where we sum this up? Let me catch, you will say 2007 again, another joke, while we told what happened in 2007. He's fine in team effort and fully passionate to win. Always, every Alonso hater brings back 2007 only (because they can't find something else), and 2007 was again proven not to be his fault but the truth is that he was the victim that year.) Is this bad? Hamilton is like that, too. He's also a diva and also wants attention but still, what?

Please don't spread nonsense, you can express your opinion but not give wrong facts. And Alonso (as well as Hamilton) got even more mature now and an even better package. So, if Merc gets him in 2017 we will see awesome racing and also some light will be thrown too...

DFX
DFX

Sorry for going a bit off topic

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/209845/1/s ... acter.html

“I think he's pretty coherent in his views and he knows what he wants, but most people who are very good at their job do and I think that's a strength as well. He doesn't waver from what he wants, he's mentally very strong, able to adapt to whatever the regulations are; he'll get on top of it and he'll ring 100% out of the car, if not more. I think he tends to amalgamate people just because of how good he is.”

"I have often gone on record as saying I think Fernando is the very best driver of his generation. I'm a massive fan of his, I would go as far to say if not ever, he's that good. He brings so much performance to the team."

"I think by pure proxy of his talent he tends to motivate people. When you're at the absolute top of your game, when there's not many people who can come near you that's just motivation in itself. If you're very excellent at what you do, in whatever walk of life or guise within Formula One – be it driver, engineer, technician, anything – I think if you work with people with very, very high talent, what it does is forces everyone around you to raise their game as well. I think that's where the motivation of working with Fernando comes from.”

Yes, this is Massa's former race engineer at Ferrari and Williams, he probably knows what he is talking about.

Craigy

Ekrem Sami has apparently stepped down from the board at McLaren.