Toro Rosso STR12 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Toro Rosso STR12 Speculation Thread

This is the speculation thread about the 2017 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.

Topic will be unlocked after the season finisher in Abu Dhabi.
#AeroFrodo

theriusDR3

Re: Toro Rosso STR12 Speculation Thread

so is Total will supplying fuels and lubricants for Toro Rosso?

Vasconia

"We tentatively started the 2017 project in September 2015, so it's been 14 months so far. Back then, the chassis regulations hadn't been finalised but we thought that with any change of this nature, the sooner you start, the better."

Source: http://en.f1i.com/news/84161-2017-f1-ca ... e-key.html

Jolle

theriusDR3 wrote:so is Total will supplying fuels and lubricants for Toro Rosso?
The quite normal procedure is that the oil and fuel is custom made together with the PU and they come more or less as a package deal. So they'll go back to Total from a year of Shell.

NL_Fer

Bottom + whole rear end (except the wing), driveline, electronics fully copied from Redbull.

I wonder if they keep wide nose and no rake. The Renault pu will be smaller than that fat '15 Ferrari.

Andres125sx

It will be great to see STR competitive again with a proper PU, even if it´s Renault :twisted:

Will they manage to do some podium? They did several 6th positions this season with the big handicap of a year old PU, so I think they should be around that at some GP, at least at those where some top cars get into trouble
NL_Fer wrote:Bottom + whole rear end (except the wing), driveline, electronics fully copied from Redbull.
Is that any different from this season? Sorry but I have no idea if that´s an improvement or same as past season

ME4ME

Well the cooperation won't be fully realized until 2018:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/toro- ... 58153/?s=1
"The problem with new regulations of course is you've got nothing to discuss because you've got to go through the whole design process. In 2017 therefore, there will not be that many opportunities for synergies.

NathanOlder

ME4ME wrote:Well the cooperation won't be fully realized until 2018:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/toro- ... 58153/?s=1
And by then they will fall out with Renault and be running 2014 Honda PU's lol
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:It will be great to see STR competitive again with a proper PU, even if it´s Renault :twisted:

Will they manage to do some podium? They did several 6th positions this season with the big handicap of a year old PU, so I think they should be around that at some GP, at least at those where some top cars get into trouble
NL_Fer wrote:Bottom + whole rear end (except the wing), driveline, electronics fully copied from Redbull.
Is that any different from this season? Sorry but I have no idea if that´s an improvement or same as past season
I´m pretty optimistic, a pOdium is pretty difficult but if the chasis is as good as this year´s, why not?. An updated Renault PU will make the difference, for sure.

SR71

Many benefits from running two teams.

Of course you can pool resources - logical. However if you can afford, you can develop two different philosophies and see which one come out on top for year 1 of new regs and converge one year 2.

Guess it depends on who takes the risky development path, the team with the best Chance of winning or the team with the least to lose?

Andres125sx

SR71 wrote:Guess it depends on who takes the risky development path, the team with the best Chance of winning or the team with the least to lose?
That will depend on the level of risk, if it´s not high, RBR will use it, if it´s high, STR will be their guinea pig

Obviously it will also depend on RBR position in the WDC and WCC, if they´re fighting for the title they´ll assume as little risks as possible, but if they are clearly beaten by any other team, then assuming risks will be more feasible

PABLOEING

FrukostScones

TR with matte paint like RB:

it.motorsport.com
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

nevill3

They should be higher up the pecking order next year because they inherited some of Red Bulls "old" development tools. I think it was to do with either the simulator or the wind tunnel.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

seezung

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZiFs3gRPgU

Oh man, just a few more weeks ;) Anything we can tell from the sound in this vid?