2017 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jolle

Re: 2017 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Renault

ME4ME wrote:
Jolle wrote:RedBull doesn't make its decisions based on public opinion or only watching a few races. They do that on basis of tons of very precise data, development projections and experience.
I looks like, from the outside, that VES, RIC and SAI are pretty close, with a slight advantage for the RBR drivers. VES has as an extra his very steep development curve. For SAI at the moment, he is more then qualified to be in a works team by now but he's kept in STR as an insurance if anything would happen to the RBR drivers. The don't want to be in the same position when Vettel left. Bit like Buttons new role at McLaren.
Any particular reason for quoting me? Anything you disagreed with? I might miss something here. I do agree with what you're saying.
Just trying to build upon your post, before all the "he is better then him and they didn't choose him" rants come along again :D no disagreements

Pierce89

To state that Sainz is more than qualified for a works drive by now is slightly overstating things. He's never been on the podium and there are a few guys in line ahead of him. Perez and Bottas come to mind.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Andres125sx

Pierce89 wrote:To state that Sainz is more than qualified for a works drive by now is slightly overstating things. He's never been on the podium and there are a few guys in line ahead of him. Perez and Bottas come to mind.
Perez is surely a very good driver, but after McLaren got rid of him he´s lost some "aura"

Bottas has proved to be very mistake prone when under pressure

Sainz didn´t do any podium yet, but he did 3 6th places and 10 GPs scoring points with a year old PU, wich is a HUGE handicap on third year of new PUs as they evolve massively from season to season. He´s proved to be fast and consistent

I´ll not argue if there are better options than Sainz or not, but he´s not that far at all IMHO.

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:To state that Sainz is more than qualified for a works drive by now is slightly overstating things. He's never been on the podium and there are a few guys in line ahead of him. Perez and Bottas come to mind.
Perez is surely a very good driver, but after McLaren got rid of him he´s lost some "aura"

Bottas has proved to be very mistake prone when under pressure

Sainz didn´t do any podium yet, but he did 3 6th places and 10 GPs scoring points with a year old PU, wich is a HUGE handicap on third year of new PUs as they evolve massively from season to season. He´s proved to be fast and consistent

I´ll not argue if there are better options than Sainz or not, but he´s not that far at all IMHO.
Several websites have rated him between the best 8 drivers of the season. I think that his work has been great and very consistent. Yes, he is not as spectacular as other drivers but his pure speed is there. And well, to reach a podium with that car would been more than a miracle.

Pierce89

I simply said "more than qualified" was a bit of an overstatement. Other guys not in works drives have done more while all the works drivers bar Renault have done ALOT more. I think Sainz is one of the best on the grid, he'll just have to prove it a little more before any works team will go after him.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

ME4ME

Crash tests done, and the team looking to rebrand the engine:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/toro- ... es-861822/

FW17

It will be fun if Infiniti moves again

Gridlock

Or another engine manufacturer enters, initially using the TAG Heuer branding to avoid "doing a Honda".

Vasconia

ME4ME wrote:Crash tests done, and the team looking to rebrand the engine:

A main sponsor is always welcome, but apart from the economic side I dont see any logic reason to rebrand the engine. The Renault PU is looking good so there is no reason to "hide" the fact that they are using it.

ME4ME

Toro Rosso F1 team planning 24/7 schedule to be ready for testing
From the production side, we will have to work 24/7 for a period," team principal Franz Tost told Autosport.

"From the middle of January to the middle of February, we will run three shifts per day.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... t-schedule

Mansell89

If I knew for sure that Toro Rosso were getting the full 2017 Renault PU, I'd be massively excited about them in an aero formula. James Key has put some smashing cars out for them and last year looked really well balanced but ended up woefully underpowered as they got left with that 2015 Ferrari PU.

They could surprise and I assume Key will be the man to fill Neweys shoes at Red Bull whenever the great man decides to hang them up?

PlatinumZealot

Vasconia wrote:

A main sponsor is always welcome, but apart from the economic side I dont see any logic reason to rebrand the engine. The Renault PU is looking good so there is no reason to "hide" the fact that they are using it.
More money probably. RedBull pay renault for the engine plus a bit more for the right to rebrand. Now the engine is pretty much another blank advertizing canvas just like a side pod or rear wing except it carries a higher profile. Big sponsor comes along and pays megabucks to name the engine after themself. Redbull makes money, renault makes money, sponsor is happy everyone is happy.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

More money probably. RedBull pay renault for the engine plus a bit more for the right to rebrand. Now the engine is pretty much another blank advertizing canvas just like a side pod or rear wing except it carries a higher profile. Big sponsor comes along and pays megabucks to name the engine after themself. Redbull makes money, renault makes money, sponsor is happy everyone is happy.
I can see the point. Lets see if TR can get a good sponshorp to make profitable this movement. I guess RC could help them to get a good one.

NathanOlder

http://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/22226 ... toro-rosso

Apparently the new car will be light blue. Like the colour of their sugar free cans of Red Bull. Will look good in my opinion.
About time they changed that dull colour scheme.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ME4ME

Sweet! Oh no, wait a sec.