Mercedes W08 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
roon

Re: Mercedes W08 Speculation Thread

Regarding oscillation, or what I might call passive correction, I watched a video on youtube recently which was about cube-shaped shotgun slugs. When fired, they flew like a spherical slug, pretty straight & true. They tumbled about their centers, and this imparted stability. Seems like an analogue to the feather example, or wobbly wings. Inefficient but self-correcting.

GPR-A duplicate2

Link -> F1 suspension row brews ahead of 2017 season
Leading Formula 1 teams could be forced to revise their suspension systems on the eve of the 2017 season amid a row brewing following a Ferrari query over trick technology that Mercedes has pioneered.
https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/8 ... 4473475072

Morteza

Mercedes to unveil new car at Silverstone
Formula1.com wrote:Mercedes will unveil the car with which they hope to defend their world championship crowns at the UK's Silverstone Circuit on Thursday, February 23.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

MacX

whose some rumors about W08 ???

De Jokke

Kinda love the silence about the W08. Have merc built another beast? I sure hope so! [-o<
Certainly a front running car.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

PABLOEING

Just_a_fan

The chap with the little bag of spare washers - that must Lewis's car then with the bits left out to help Bottas. :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :oops:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

domh245

Looks to me like the plenum chambers are much the same as in previous years. Might be imagining things though.

Video Still

2015 engine

SR71

Just_a_fan wrote:The chap with the little bag of spare washers - that must Lewis's car then with the bits left out to help Bottas. :lol: :lol:

Getting our excuses prepared already. Very good.

Sorry, couldn't resist..

Seriously though, in 2015, it seems everyone was running the Merc 2014 nose. When Merc went thin in 2015 I expected at least one front runner to have something similar but they seemed unique in that regard for 2 years in a row which is quite amazing given their domination.

Are we expecting a 3rd year in a row with the ultra thin nose?

Is it a crash test issue that precludes teams from copying?

SectorOne

Red Bull style exhaust tip where the main exhaust and wastegate exhausts are held together with a piece of metal.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

basti313

SR71 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:The chap with the little bag of spare washers - that must Lewis's car then with the bits left out to help Bottas. :lol: :lol:

Getting our excuses prepared already. Very good.

Sorry, couldn't resist..
Please, this is not the Ying Yang thread.
SR71 wrote: Are we expecting a 3rd year in a row with the ultra thin nose?

Is it a crash test issue that precludes teams from copying?
I think we can believe in the words of many designers, that the shape of the nose is not a game changer but rather the area. Might be even the other way round if the others can get a lower area or less turbulent flow with the penis nose.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Sevach

SectorOne wrote:Red Bull style exhaust tip where the main exhaust and wastegate exhausts are held together with a piece of metal.

djos

Sounds pretty good, not sure how well that'll translate to an open racing circuit or FOM's dynamically compressed (read rubbish) audio stream tho.
"In downforce we trust"

roon

That second fade-in sounded like guitar distortion.

thedutchguy

djos wrote:
Sounds pretty good, not sure how well that'll translate to an open racing circuit or FOM's dynamically compressed (read rubbish) audio stream tho.
It won't be much louder (you can see several people in de garage without hearing protection in the garage), and the sound is really hard to assess from a video like this, recorded in a closed room. I'm not holding my breath though.

I really hope they fix the engine formula asap. To me, this is not the sound of a racecar.