Red Bull RB13 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Robbobnob

Re: Red Bull RB13 Speculation Thread

Highly doubt that any team has a fully assembled prototype let alone painted in livery yet.

based on the curved steering wheel its some sort of mutant unless that is a factory gig for testing suspension geometry.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

SR71

My guess is Red Bull trolled pretty well on this one.

RB11 or 12 with 2016 wing sitting on the ground behind the car.

Holm86

Robbobnob wrote:Highly doubt that any team has a fully assembled prototype let alone painted in livery yet.

based on the curved steering wheel its some sort of mutant unless that is a factory gig for testing suspension geometry.
Or it's just for pit stop practice

Just_a_fan

Or it's a show car. They're often made up to look like a current car but are old chassis etc.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

lio007

From Autosport International 2017, some quotes from Adrian Newey:
http://www.autosport.com/live/commentar ... 1413568705

On crash tests:
Newey confirms the 2017 Red Bull has passed its crash test, about the earliest the team has done that, he says.
And presumably on the Renault PU:
"This last year, they made very good progress through the season. Still behind Mercedes and Ferrari, but closing the gap rather than the gap widening," Newey says. "I know the numbers for this year, it's a good step forward. What we don't know, it's the same for us, is what our rivals have been up to."
And some not car-related quotes:
Newey says Max Verstappen's driving style reminds him of Nigel Mansell. "With Nigel, you knew it was him in the car. Max is the same, it's exciting television."
"The big teams have more facilities so stand to do better with the regulation change, the grid will be wider apart this year."
"Fast corners are simply bends on the straight now," he says, "But the cars will be more physical to drive now, which I think is a good thing."

FrukostScones

Thank God Newey clears it up: VES is the new Mansell and not the new Senna
(that was HAM anyway :mrgreen: , wasn't he?). sry for OT.
Seems to me that the RB 13 will be the most quickly maturing F1 car of 2017.... they will outdevelop everyone.

only the all-new Renault PU could spoil the party.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

giantfan10

FrukostScones wrote:Thank God Newey clears it up: VES is the new Mansell and not the new Senna
Seems to me that the RB 13 will be the most quickly maturing F1 car of 2017.... they will outdevelop everyone.

based on what excatly?

FrukostScones

giantfan10 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:Thank God Newey clears it up: VES is the new Mansell and not the new Senna

based on what excatly?
Newey 'excited' by new 2017 technical regulations
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125153
Team RedBull had started to work on 2017 project well in advance so that, after a careful and final inspection of parts by Adrian Newey in person, most of the new car parts had already been sent into production in the last ten days of November.
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

from above post
From Autosport International 2017, some quotes from Adrian Newey:
http://www.autosport.com/live/commentar ... 1413568705
On crash tests:
Newey confirms the 2017 Red Bull has passed its crash test, about the earliest the team has done that, he says.
So they are ahead of schedule probably, max development time because from their 2017 regs. proposal a lot was realised, like 1850mm FW, huge barge boards etc.

Regs changes favor nearly always Newey 1998, 2009 especially... he is excited, he is heavily involved and RB has endless $$$

and Merc is worried:
http://www.f1technical.net/news/21117

So if Renault PU is a winner, RB13 will win WDC and WCC.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Ayrtonx100pre

namao wrote:https://s29.postimg.org/796eftpuf/image.png

First pic of the new car. See the rear wing.
New car? ... I dont think so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k01UOvXluXM

Ayrtonx100pre

New Car? ... I dont tink so.

domh245

This is an interesting development? https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/821750586165133313
Red Bull unsuccessfully tried to find support among teams to ban huge engine cover fins (sails) in yesterdays strategy group meeting.
Are we to take it then that RB haven't got one and are thinking that they've missed a trick, or something else?

roon

Might just be an aesthetic consideration. The engine cover fins in F1 & LMP1 seen in the past decade have been a polarizing addition. RB usually seem keen on improving spectacle. Faster cars, better looking cars. They pushed for the aeroscreen rather than the halo, for example. That they wouldn't want a return to billboards-on-wheels seems to follow.

djos

roon wrote:Might just be an aesthetic consideration. The engine cover fins in F1 & LMP1 seen in the past decade have been a polarizing addition. RB usually seem keen on improving spectacle. Faster cars, better looking cars. They pushed for the aeroscreen rather than the halo, for example. That they wouldn't want a return to billboards-on-wheels seems to follow.
I have to agree, they look awful and should be banned.
"In downforce we trust"

Juzh

domh245 wrote:This is an interesting development? https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/821750586165133313
Red Bull unsuccessfully tried to find support among teams to ban huge engine cover fins (sails) in yesterdays strategy group meeting.
Are we to take it then that RB haven't got one and are thinking that they've missed a trick, or something else?
This was discussed some time ago. It's not that red bull have missed the trick, but rather due to their rake setup they are in a position to gain the least from this concept, whereas mercedes are supposed to gain the most. So it was an attempt to hurt mercedes more or less.
The reason for the return of the sails are the new rear wing regulations. The 2017 rear wing is just 80cm instead of 95 cm above the reference plane. It's also 95cm instead of 75cm wide. Because of its position the rear wing gets hit by the turbulent air from the front axle. With the current wings the turbulent air passes under the wing. This is less of a problem for cars running with high rake angles like the Red Bull, Force India, or McLaren, than it is for a Mercedes, Renault, or Sauber, which are running with just half as much rake. This is because depending on the rake angle the turbulent air reaches the rear at a different height relative to the rear wing. With 1.9° of rake the wing sits higher above the road than with exactly one degree. This makes it easier to push the turbulences under the wing as before.
The airbox sail helps to push the turbulences away from the rear wing while cornering. We are hearing from teams that practically all teams will use this airbox variant in 2017. It will certainly be used on those cars, which don't run with as much rake as Red Bull. As everyone is aware of the issue, Red Bull tried to convince the FIA of banning the sail for aesthetic reasons during a meeting of the technical working group. This was obviously just a pretext, because in Milton Keynes they knew very well that a ban would hurt their main rival Mercedes the most.
Last edited by Juzh on 18 Jan 2017, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.