Will the 17' cars rev higher or be louder?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
F1SC

Will the 17' cars rev higher or be louder?

I can't see anything in the technical regs that would suggest they would, fuel flow is unchanged - anything to suggest we may get a bit closer to 15000 rpm this season?

mclaren111

Re: Will the 17' cars rev higher or be louder?

I heard they (FIA) were working on some kind sound generator to increase engine "noise"

Lets hope it works. The current lawnmower sound is terrible :( :oops: :(

F1SC

Unfortunately I haven't read anything about that for some time, it seems it will be a 2018 initiative.

krisfx

mclaren111 wrote:I heard they (FIA) were working on some kind sound generator to increase engine "noise"

We still get these kinds of comments?

I watched in 2015 at Silverstone and believe me, the cars are still pretty damn loud, and the sounds are much more interesting than the drone of the V8, which I also watched in 2013 at Spa. #-o

Juzh

Revs will remain more or less the same.

Jolle

That the ICE revs so low (relatively speaking) has nothing to do with the max rev limit but with when the fuel flow is 100%, at 10.500 revs. For efficiency the engine must rev as little as possible (because of the turbo icw the fuel flow) so the power band used is from 10.500 up to around 12.000 rpm. The more revs you make, the leaner the burn will be, or if the turbo is at max at revs at 10.500 rmp as well, the boost is less as the engine speed goes up.

technically the fuel flow makes PU management quite interesting.

Silent Storm

krisfx wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:I heard they (FIA) were working on some kind sound generator to increase engine "noise"

I watched in 2015 at Silverstone and believe me, the cars are still pretty damn loud, and the sounds are much more interesting than the drone of the V8, which I also watched in 2013 at Spa. #-o
No they aren't!! I watched the 2015 Australian GP and found the V8 supercar sound much better with the crackle and all. And it was proper loud and you could feel that sound and its vibrations while the F1 sounded dull like it had no soul, like a industrial machine just going on with the work. Not as loud as V8 supercar too.

I enjoyed the sound of those V8 supercars more than F1 and IMO F1 should sound like that. The race start of those V8 engined cars was in a different league compared to these turbocharged engines. Comparing the sounds of these two you would feel F1 is running with diesel engines.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

krisfx

Silent Storm wrote:
krisfx wrote:

No they aren't!! I watched the 2015 Australian GP and found the V8 supercar sound much better with the crackle and all. And it was proper loud and you could feel that sound and its vibrations while the F1 sounded dull like it had no soul, like a industrial machine just going on with the work. Not as loud as V8 supercar too.

I enjoyed the sound of those V8 supercars more than F1 and IMO F1 should sound like that. The race start of those V8 engined cars was in a different league compared to these turbocharged engines. Comparing the sounds of these two you would feel F1 is running with diesel engines.
Well, in my opinion it didn't matter, the sounds were still interesting to me. They're also much more powerful and much more an engineering marvel, but that's okay, because pushing the technical limits of what engines can achieve is still not enough for some people. =D>

Silent Storm

krisfx wrote:
Silent Storm wrote:
krisfx wrote:

Well, in my opinion it didn't matter, the sounds were still interesting to me. They're also much more powerful and much more an engineering marvel, but that's okay, because pushing the technical limits of what engines can achieve is still not enough for some people. =D>
That is a different matter. I never said anything about the power or that the engines aren't a technical marvel #-o
I just commented about the sound compared to V8 Supercars which I enjoyed more than the dull F1 engines.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Just_a_fan

If you stick a big turbo in the exhaust stream and extract massive amounts of energy from that exhaust stream, then you'll get a quieter engine. They're quiet because they work so well. Ironic, eh? :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Ferraripilot

I thought I read the goal for 2017 was to have higher revving engines. I see this is possible via a couple ways: 1) raise max fuel from 10,500 to 12,500. 2) limit turbo spooling so to not lean out the mix so quickly. The bigger issue teams will see is the engines will be stressed more and I understand they are only allotted 4 this season.

Holm86

Just_a_fan wrote:If you stick a big turbo in the exhaust stream and extract massive amounts of energy from that exhaust stream, then you'll get a quieter engine. They're quiet because they work so well. Ironic, eh? :wink:
It's true, that why I believe the most simple way to get more sound out of the engies, is by reintroducing refueling.
Because im sure teams will start dumping fuel into the exhaust to get more energy out of the MGU-H, if they didnt have to save fuel.

mclaren111

Holm86 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:If you stick a big turbo in the exhaust stream and extract massive amounts of energy from that exhaust stream, then you'll get a quieter engine. They're quiet because they work so well. Ironic, eh? :wink:
It's true, that why I believe the most simple way to get more sound out of the engies, is by reintroducing refueling.
Because im sure teams will start dumping fuel into the exhaust to get more energy out of the MGU-H, if they didnt have to save fuel.
I think they must drop this 100kg/h (Fuel Flow Limit) nonsense. Make it unlimited and the manufacturers can find the right balance between power and efficiency and the negative effect of carrying too much fuel in the race.

Holm86

mclaren111 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
I think they must drop this 100kg/h (Fuel Flow Limit) nonsense. Make it unlimited and the manufacturers can find the right balance between power and efficiency and the negative effect of carrying too much fuel in the race.
The flow limit makes perfect sense IMO, thats the reason why these engines have extreme efficiency numbers, and from a technical perspective thats very interesting.

Andres125sx

OMG, F1 fans rooting for this?

:wtf: #-o

We´re just a step from getting this route

What IMHO is unbelieveble, F1 used to be a technical sport, but lately it´s becoming a joke. If now fans start asking for gimmick things like those, then maybe I´m done with F1

Sincrerely, Liberty is my last chance, they must change F1 route drastically or I´ll stop watching. DRS ruined F1 on a big percentage to me, as they managed to ruin the most exciting part of F1, overtaking. Now there are a lot more ovetakes, but sterile overtakes with no fun at all, now not even overtaking is exciting. I did prefer 4 overtakes per GP, but real overtakes, to 100 DRS overtakes. F1 without ovetaking excitement, or track position battles, easily becomes boring. If they start adding tunning sh#t to F1 cars, I´ll definitely stop watching :cry: