2017 tyre testing cars

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1316

Re: 2017 tyre testing cars

Equally though, don't they need to have a tyre that doesn't spit the car off the road, even at 5 degrees ambient? Surely it's conceivable that we have a race - maybe in Canada (edit: or the British summer!) - where temps drop that low?
Last edited by f1316 on 11 Feb 2017, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

Eddie_Temple

timbo wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:
SR71 wrote:Warm up lap I believe...

Something like 5c track temp.

Everything way out of spec.
There is absolutely zero point testing tyres in these conditions. What were they thinking?? 5 degree track temperature is so far out of the operating window. For some of the 'best minds in motorsport' they seem to be entirely brainless.
Xcept this not the first lap and they did quite some running before that happened.
And there are things you still can test even if the temps are not in the window.
One source says it was a warm up lap....

https://www.autosport.com/news/report.p ... -tyre-test

Do you have a source for your version of events?
Welcome to the layer cake, son.

Pierce89

timbo wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:
SR71 wrote:Warm up lap I believe...

Something like 5c track temp.

Everything way out of spec.
There is absolutely zero point testing tyres in these conditions. What were they thinking?? 5 degree track temperature is so far out of the operating window. For some of the 'best minds in motorsport' they seem to be entirely brainless.
Xcept this not the first lap and they did quite some running before that happened.
And there are things you still can test even if the temps are not in the window.
There are things you can test with temps way out of the window, but, on that list, you wouldn't normally find "tires".
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

timbo

Eddie_Temple wrote:
timbo wrote:Xcept this not the first lap and they did quite some running before that happened.
One source says it was a warm up lap....

https://www.autosport.com/news/report.p ... -tyre-test

Do you have a source for your version of events?
You can have more than one warm-up lap during a day :)
For example here
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38931000
About 40 laps before the crash.

timbo

Pierce89 wrote:
timbo wrote:Xcept this not the first lap and they did quite some running before that happened.
There are things you can test with temps way out of the window, but, on that list, you wouldn't normally find "tires".
As for wet tires the anti-aquaplaning properties should not depend too much on temp. And it's relatively easy to get heat into wet tires, e.g. leave a piece of track dry. Also, I imagine wet-compounds should be able to cope with wider range of conditions than slicks.

Gridlock

5deg would be marginal for summer road tyres...