Sauber C36 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Sauber C36 Ferrari

This the official car topic about the 2017 Sauber contender, the C36. This thread will handle more stringent rules:

-Absolutely no livery talk in the car topic. Liveries are by nature topics assigned to the team thread, and should be discussed there. Posts about liveries in the car thread will be removed. Livery, sponsoring and any other none-performance hardware features of the car go to the team thread.

-Discussion about the car's hardware only. No discussion about the laptimes (should be discussed in the testing or race threads; test thread is here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=25963). No speculation or rumors towards future features of the car; no speculation about the competitive performance (car beats car B but car C, etc.). Such discussions will be removed as well.

-Discussion about the Power Unit should belong in its respective PU topic. How the car's chassis and bodywork is adapted to it remains in the car thread, but pure features of the PU don't go there. Since this is quite a grey area, we will not remove transgressions on that front, but will move them when appropiate.

That might sound strict and is infact so, but this is done to safeguard the topic quality. A fair warning that we will be extremely strict this year! If you don't find anything worthwhile to post, please resist the urge and do not post. There is nothing wrong with that and is infact the better option when there's nothing new.

Topic will be opened once the car has been officially launched, which is February the 20th.
#AeroFrodo

turbof1

Re: Sauber C36 Ferrari

Open for business!
#AeroFrodo

Thunder

The "outwash Tunnel" on the Frontwing is gone.

https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/8 ... 1858924544
Last edited by Thunder on 20 Feb 2017, 12:04, edited 3 times in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

LookBackTime

RedNEO

I like the fact they launched a real car and none of that 'CGI' nonsense Williams pulled off.
Last edited by turbof1 on 20 Feb 2017, 13:56, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: No livery talk in the car topic

i70q7m7ghw

It looks so long! I thought they would look wider, but they just look longer!

Shame they dodgey noses look like they will remain. Bit strange to see the blade roll hoop reappear. Otherwise, it's fairly ordinary really.

bhall II

Carryover...
FrukostScones wrote:
bhall II wrote:Very underwhelming, frankly.
the white belly is a bit disturbing
It's not so much the appearance; I just don't see any areas where the design really digs into the new rules so, to speak.

The caveat, of course, is that I highly doubt any launch car will look much like what we see in Melbourne. For instance, the whole point of the "blade" intake concept is to lower the actual intakes in order to clean up air flow to the rear wing, which this version doesn't quite reflect (yet).

NathanOlder

Not bad at all. And I even like the shark fin, think the gold is a bit much on the front wing, but its a massive improvement on last year's livery.

Well done Sauber.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Scuderia1967

After the Manor and the Williams, another letdown...
HUGE (try saying it Trump-style) sidepods, and that Mercedes 2010-inspired roll hoop? Wasn't it relegated to the "ideas that didn't work" warehouse?
Oh, and the least said about that sharkfin the better

F1Krof

Rear Wing seems to adopt the Toro Rosso / Merc style laurels at the edges.

Front Wing looks dull, there is no way I could image this to be a starting base for their Front Wing development. Looks 2013'ysh . However, why would they spend money building a launch spec Front Wing when they're going to change it anyways (hopefully)?

The shark fin looks slick though, I like it.
Last edited by F1Krof on 20 Feb 2017, 12:08, edited 2 times in total.
Wroom wroom

Thunder

Yes these Sharkfins are hideous. Whoever voted against banning them deserves a serious Punch in the Face.
#aerogollum

bhall II

Thunders wrote:The "outwash Tunnel" on the Frontwing is gone.
Still there, just sorta buried...

I think the new designs will make greater use of vortex lift--or downforce, as it were.

Thunder

Yes it's still an outwash Design, all i said is that the exaggerated Tunnel that started on the leading Edge is gone. This one is more like the Wing McLaren tested last Year. Yes the McLaren was more extreme and got rid of the Tunnel almost (?) completely. I was just commenting on the leading Edge.
Last edited by Thunder on 20 Feb 2017, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
#aerogollum

astracrazy

Blue and gold would have worked on its own, the white looks awful - has an almost "your name here" feel to it. I almost hate the fact they have done the shark fin black then squeezed the 25 years on the engine cover. Why not keep it blue and then put the 25 years bit on there.

The car has too much of a steady steady feel to it too. Disappointing.
Last edited by astracrazy on 20 Feb 2017, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

Scuderia1967

Actually, it's a Mercedes design, from their 2010 car