Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Mr.G

Re: Honda Power Unit

1 - I don't know what you want to mark
2 - it is some kind of sesnsor (temperature, presure or rpm), that CF structure can be some sort of pump or gear cover...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

glenntws

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure the first thing you highlighted is the fuel pump. At least it looks like one. Maybe it's electrically driven.

Singabule

1. From the appearance, this could be fuel pump or part of injector
2. It is censor for air
3.Coil plug is vertical to the piston
It is CVCC style i guess, their TJI May not vertical. Good spot FW17!

JonoNic

All this talk of Honda not having enough testing done then I hope that Honda keeps updating their PU and take penalties every race at least until mid year. That way they can build on their performance and increase their reliability (They will be able to see if they are able to catch other manufacturers or not). Once that PU is optimal on performance (hopefully) then they can try to run it until to the end of the season or breaking point. That last of the season will hopefully peak the interest of big investors. Alonso would most likely stay if he sees the improvement during the year.

Other teams can't really do this, except maybe Sauber. However, Ferrari is not willing to give them this year's engine...
Always find the gap then use it.

mclaren111

JonoNic wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 11:29
All this talk of Honda not having enough testing done then I hope that Honda keeps updating their PU and take penalties every race at least until mid year. That way they can build on their performance and increase their reliability (They will be able to see if they are able to catch other manufacturers or not). Once that PU is optimal on performance (hopefully) then they can try to run it until to the end of the season or breaking point. That last of the season will hopefully peak the interest of big investors. Alonso would most likely stay if he sees the improvement during the year.

Other teams can't really do this, except maybe Sauber. However, Ferrari is not willing to give them this year's engine...
Totally agree.

mclaren111

Motorsport.com
As well as focusing on the cause of its reliability dramas in testing, Honda has spent considerable focus on improving its engine mapping for the start of the season.
It is understood that problems with the mapping were the root cause of the vibrations that led to some of the issues in Barcelona testing.
Honda’s F1 chief Yusuke Hasegawa has said that progress has been made with mapping plus in other unspecified areas.
Positive news.

wuzak

JonoNic wrote:
Incorrect.

Sauber chose to stay with last season's PU.

This was for a couple of reasons - so they could work with a PU with known parameters, and not have to change details later in the design process, and to save money.

dren

mclaren111 wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 12:41
Motorsport.com
As well as focusing on the cause of its reliability dramas in testing, Honda has spent considerable focus on improving its engine mapping for the start of the season.
It is understood that problems with the mapping were the root cause of the vibrations that led to some of the issues in Barcelona testing.
Honda’s F1 chief Yusuke Hasegawa has said that progress has been made with mapping plus in other unspecified areas.
Positive news.
I was just going to post the same thing. Positive news if true. I wonder if it was ignition timing.
Honda!

fellowhoodlums

That'll not be the first time Honda has come to test with immature mapping. Was it 2015 that they came with no setting for pit or something so it sounded awful whilst it left garage.?

Jef Patat

I find it rather strange that a mapping issue that would cause that much trouble is not detected earlier on the bench. To me that sounds more like an issue that can be solved through mapping.

JonoNic

wuzak wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
Incorrect.

Sauber chose to stay with last season's PU.

This was for a couple of reasons - so they could work with a PU with known parameters, and not have to change details later in the design process, and to save money.
Fair enough. However, I do think that Honda should aggressively test their PU for the first few races even if it uses their allocated number of PUs early in the season. They can only start from the back and the team can no longer introduce multiple engines at a single race weekend.
Always find the gap then use it.

hudnut

dren wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 12:49
mclaren111 wrote:
Motorsport.com
Positive news.
I was just going to post the same thing. Positive news if true. I wonder if it was ignition timing.
I hope so! I posted on 9th March...

"I dunno, when I heard the video, first thing I thought was it sounded like an ignition issue"

I'm not right very often, and I'd like to be able to claim this one. :)

GoranF1

Dont get your hopes high...Honda themselfs don't think reliability will be sloved for AUS.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

mwillems

GoranF1 wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 14:19
Dont get your hopes high...Honda themselfs don't think reliability will be sloved for AUS.
No but if it has helped, it will push Honda on to the next steps in evaluating Reliability and Performance, for what is a relatively painless fix. With some luck they will be able to develop this area further during the race weekend.

Remember the engine doesn't blow, it just shuts itself down, so can be used again. This only becomes really problematic in the race, but the rest of the time they can test and develop to their hearts content.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

fellowhoodlums

mwillems wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 14:45
GoranF1 wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 14:19
No but if it has helped, it will push Honda on to the next steps in evaluating Reliability and Performance, for what is a relatively painless fix. With some luck they will be able to develop this area further during the race weekend.

Remember the engine doesn't blow, it just shuts itself down, so can be used again. This only becomes really problematic in the race, but the rest of the time they can test and develop to their hearts content.
it shuts down, ok. And how long before it's back up and running? Once the session is over. IF....IF it's like testing we'll get 15laps before shutdown.