2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 14:28

It was Alonso's arrogance that put him in a battle with his own team! Same happened at Ferrari...it was always someone else's fault...not his!! After all there's not much in getting the only driver with a WDC back then into your team and not support him! Had Alonso put his head down and did not crash at Fuji for example he would have won it! Not only that but had he kept a good relationship with his team he may had also won the 2008 WDC since McLaren were frontrunners then! I imagine that had he been in Hamilton's seat in 2016 (with the same mechanical problems) and lost the WDC he would have left the team again! =D>
Anyway...it's just sad and frustrating that McLaren are not frontrunners today with Alonso fighting with Hamilton, Vettel and the RBs!! Sad and frustrating for Formula 1 itself!! :?
He is indeed not 100% innocent of what happened in McLaren but the most responsable ones(by fare) where Dennis and others who should have managed that situation.

Going back to the race I wanted to watch the life broadcast so I will try find a website where I can watch it later since I do not want to pay for it. (I already pay for the TV but they want you to pay an extra package to enjoy the F1 season, f*ck them)

domh245

It's a pain for those of us who want to watch it but haven't got Sky, but from C4s perspective, showing it live is a stupid idea. If they've only got a limited number of live races then they'll obviously want to use those for prime time races that'll draw in big audiences and hence revenue. The viewing figures for an early morning race like Australia will be dreadful in comparison - Australia is one of the races where a highlights package makes more sense than showing the live race.

I agree with you about the 10 live races, it's a travesty that I hope is solved in some way by Liberty, but once you accept that constraint, you'll realise that from a commercial perspective not showing Australia live is the sensible way to go.

GoranF1

the most reliable car of testing will have problems this weekend...as always.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

dans79

Vasconia wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 16:35
He is indeed not 100% innocent of what happened in McLaren but the most responsable ones(by fare) where Dennis and others who should have managed that situation.
Given how Senna/Prost was managed, it's not really surprising it was handled the way it was.
197 104 103 7

RZS10

mods really have to clean up this thread ... driver comparisons and what happened at mclaren in 2007 do not belong here (also delete this post once you're at it)

Vasconia

domh245 wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 16:38
It's a pain for those of us who want to watch it but haven't got Sky, but from C4s perspective, showing it live is a stupid idea. If they've only got a limited number of live races then they'll obviously want to use those for prime time races that'll draw in big audiences and hence revenue. The viewing figures for an early morning race like Australia will be dreadful in comparison - Australia is one of the races where a highlights package makes more sense than showing the live race.

I agree with you about the 10 live races, it's a travesty that I hope is solved in some way by Liberty, but once you accept that constraint, you'll realise that from a commercial perspective not showing Australia live is the sensible way to go.
So you can watch 10 races for free in the UK? lucky guys, here only 1 and its Barcelona. :roll:

Phil

Something like that. Though I think the exclusivity deals only apply to the English (or is it UK) market?

In German speaking Europe, at least we get to choose from RTL, ORF and SRF (Swiss Broadcast). But given the amount of commercials we have to endure or the lack of competence during the broadcast, I'm not so sure how great that is. And people complain about Ted and Eddie. :roll: :oops:
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Schuttelberg

I really hope I get the Croft Brundle coverage. I think it's Sky. I can't stand Ben Edwards!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

AMG.Tzan

What a silly idea transferring all the live races to pay TVs!! And then Formula 1 asks why audiences keep falling since 2008...just think how many countries have gone to pay TVs since 2008 and you get the point!! People that would open the TV on a Sunday afternoon and say "oh there's a Formula 1 race...let's just watch" won't go on to pay to watch it! Only hardcore fans will pay to watch Formula 1 nowadays!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Sonador

Phil wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 17:29
Something like that. Though I think the exclusivity deals only apply to the English (or is it UK) market?

In German speaking Europe, at least we get to choose from RTL, ORF and SRF (Swiss Broadcast). But given the amount of commercials we have to endure or the lack of competence during the broadcast, I'm not so sure how great that is. And people complain about Ted and Eddie. :roll: :oops:
The amount of comercials during the race with RTL is just horrible and unacceptable.
But it is free, and that mathers to people with a small income.

Ted i think is very nice to watch, but sometimes he has troubles to focus on his job and gets sidetracked easy.
But i like him, he is a good reporter imho.
And Eddie, well, he is a character on his own (understatement) we need more characters like him please.
Because he makes things interessting. Loved the Jordan f1 team btw..

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Sonador on 21 Mar 2017, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

3jawchuck

Where I live there is no free coverage, it would cost me over €200 per year.
So I use ace-tv IPTV coverage. Besides, say what you like about some of the sky guys, their coverage is the best.

Juzh

3jawchuck wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 18:29
So I use ace-tv IPTV coverage.
Smart choice.

Mansell89

If only Sky would get rid of Crofty from the commentary box, we'd be well set for a good season!

Raikonnen to win his 3rd race in Australia this weekend.

BanMeToo

Yea I wish Brundle were the lead commentator on Sky. He's muuuch better than Croft and easier to listen to.

jericho

Mansell89 wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 20:33
If only Sky would get rid of Crofty from the commentary box, we'd be well set for a good season!

Raikonnen to win his 3rd race in Australia this weekend.

Hmm, I like the commentary from Crofty! We have Olav Mol, doesn't see everything that happens and can't see the difference between the Mclarens and a Force India..