Haas VF-17 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tok-tokkie

Re: Haas VF-17 Ferrari

That picture of the end plates of the rear wing is so appropriate for Haas. They make cnc machine tools so to have done it like that is great.

Enstone

roon

Identical, of course, to Ferrari.

With the car up on jacks, the suspension in full droop, we can see the ARB blades angling up, unloaded. I've never noticed such a simple roll mechanism before—Ferrari have reduced it to two blades/leaf springs.

bill shoe

This car and its Ferrari engine are solid contenders for points here. Car has been very low-key (only on page 4 in the threads !!!) but it will get the job done. Toro Rosso has prettier car, but this Haas will get the job done.

RZS10

this cannot be helping the airflow can it?

both fin and wing are supposed to create a cleaner airflow towards the rear wing

giantfan10

RZS10 wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 03:41
http://i.imgur.com/Acx0Ae5.gif

both fin and wing are supposed to create a cleaner airflow towards the rear wing
Several aero pundits along with team personel have stated that the little wing is for downforce alone and does not condition flow to the rear wing.

PhillipM

In terms of cleaner airflow a shark fin doesn't really do that bar at relatively high yaw angles, in fact in a straight line they can be worse, which is why we didn't see them with the high rear wings.

roon

It's like a horizontal tuned mass tamper. Perhaps I'm being optimistic...

proteus

RZS10 wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 03:41
http://i.imgur.com/Acx0Ae5.gif

If anything this "device" at the back should be illegaal due to the fact it is way too flexible. atleast on the Haas. Williams on the other hand is probably capable of reaching the American TV signal with their setup.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

continuum16

I don't know the official reason, but they have taken off the T-wing after FP1. Either they felt it wasn't working or the FIA took it off on safety grounds.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

theWPTformula

Slightly revised front wing main plane. More sinuous...

Old

New

NormalChris

The front wing is pretty unique. The main and first element are very close but the gap from the first to the second is big.

continuum16 wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 07:14
I don't know the official reason, but they have taken off the T-wing after FP1. Either they felt it wasn't working or the FIA took it off on safety grounds.
Following Friday’s FP1 session in Melbourne, the Haas F1 team was ordered to remove the T-wings from its VF-17s after it was seen flexing on TV images.

The team took the wing off for FP2 in the afternoon but its team principal Guenther Steiner is unsure if the American squad will be allowed to re-fit the device later in the weekend.

He said: “We ran this wing in the whole Barcelona test and never had a problem with it breaking or anything. In FP2 we had to take it off because of the moving, so we need to see what we do in FP3.
Bottom part of of the article: https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/03/ ... ng-is-bad/