2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ripper

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

bonjon1979 wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 10:25
I do feel we saw drivers making the difference today. Great job by grosjean and clearly a good lap from ham. Could vettel have got more? Perhaps, but looks like a good start to the season to me.
Vettel said that he wasn't very satisfied with his S1 of his best lap, but he also said that pole wasn't possible. So there's still a little margin to gain, but Hamilton still has an edge

Schuttelberg

ferkan wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 10:29
Vettel should have taken a pole. He had big moment in S2 and made mistake in S1.

Personally think Ferrari is slightly better car this time around. Hamilton is a beast here though
I understand everyone has favourites but I've rarely seen desperation to prove their driver is godlike to this extent on this board.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

atanatizante

From the all teams there was an odd or interesting note to mention: Ferrari was the only team who used one set of SS tyre in Q1 ! Nobody did that in all the Qualy sessions? Maybe they try them to see had they could qualy in Q2 on them?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

GPR-A duplicate2

Schuttelberg wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 10:59
Mercedes massive advantage in the last 3 years often sold the illusion of Rosberg being neck and neck with Hamilton. While that always remained true in terms of points because the worst a Mercedes driver could finish was second, the real exciting races only happened when Hamilton was behind Rosberg, for whatever reason.
I always wanted to see a situation like that of today, when Rosberg was there with Mercedes. Another team within 3 tenths of Lewis' pace. On too many occasions, Nico trailed Lewis by more than 3 tenths but still stood 2nd and in situations like today, Nico would have been starting outside of top 2 or 3. And because there was no one within 6 tenths of Mercs for the last 3 years, it allowed Rosberg to take advantage whenever Lewis slipped at the start and from there onwards, it was rules of engagement. In last few years, had there been two more cars within 3 tenths, Nico wouldn't have had a chance to jump Lewis on his bad starts. Well... Nico called it quits at the right moment I guess. :)

Where are those 4 second faster cars, that we were expecting to see, gone?

Schuttelberg

GPR-A wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 11:10
Schuttelberg wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 10:59
Mercedes massive advantage in the last 3 years often sold the illusion of Rosberg being neck and neck with Hamilton. While that always remained true in terms of points because the worst a Mercedes driver could finish was second, the real exciting races only happened when Hamilton was behind Rosberg, for whatever reason.
I always wanted to see a situation like that of today, when Rosberg was there with Mercedes. Another team within 3 tenths of Lewis' pace. On too many occasions, Nico trailed Lewis by more than 3 tenths but still stood 2nd and in situations like today, Nico would have been starting outside of top 2 or 3. And because there was no one within 6 tenths of Mercs for the last 3 years, it allowed Rosberg to take advantage whenever Lewis slipped at the start and from there onwards, it was rules of engagement. In last few years, had there been two more cars within 3 tenths, Nico wouldn't have had a chance to jump Lewis on his bad starts. Well... Nico called it quits at the right moment I guess. :)

Where are those 4 second faster cars, that we were expecting to see, gone?
In all honesty, I enjoyed qualifying today, even though the result was expected. May be it comes naturally being a hardcore fan and the excitement will subside as the season progresses. I must say though that I did wonder twice about Alonso being in the second Mercedes/Ferrari seat.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Shrieker

3jawchuck wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 09:19
Shrieker wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 09:18
Wow, Bottas and Hamilton not really giving a sh!t about each other when they were next to each other !
Cue the talk of mind games, friction, psychological advantages and so on.
They looked very uneasy next to one another, especially Bottas.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Blackout

Speed trap Q 2017
Williams STROLL 328.6 MASSA 324.3
Force India PEREZ 328.1 OCON 324.4
Renault HULKENBERG 326.2 PALMER 325.4
Mercedes HAMILTON 325.5 BOTTAS 321.1
Ferrari RAIKKONEN 322.8 VETTEL 322.0
STR KVYAT 322.3 SAINZ 322.0
RBR VERSTAPPEN 321.8 RICCIARDO 318.0
Haas GROSJEAN 321.6 MAGNUSSEN 320.5
Sauber ERICSSON 317.4 GIOVINAZZI 315.9
Mclaren ALONSO 316.6 VANDOORNE 314.4

Vmax Q 2016
Force India Hulkenberg 330.3
Williams Bottas 329.8
Mercedes Hamilton 328.4
Ferrari Vettel 325.9
Manor Wehrlein 325.8
Haas Gutierrez 325.3
Sauber Ericsson 322.7
Renault Magnussen 321.4
Toro Rosso Sainz Jr. 320.9
Red Bull Ricciardo 320.8
Button 320.4

Only the Renault powered cars gained straight line speed?
Last edited by Blackout on 25 Mar 2017, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

Restomaniac

Juzh wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 11:36
Mercedes vs Ferrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AV6KRnz4Uc
One thing that struck me on watching that is that Vettel seems to be having to do a lot more steering wheel inputs than Hamilton.

ferkan

Juzh wrote:
Mercedes vs Ferrari

Either Ferrari went with a bit more DF setup therefore resulting in a bit faster cornering and lower straight line speed, or Merc still has 10-15HP more. Maybe both.

f1316

I'm surprised everyone isn't a little bit more excited (including the commentators).

Here's a list of all the exciting things from qualifying:

- finally we have a car that's capable of fighting the Mercedes; it's clearly not quite as good (look no further than Bottas vs Kimi) but it's close enough for a fight - exactly what we've all been waiting for for years!!

- as a result of which, we have the two most successful drivers going head to head; a fight between Vettel in Hamilton in two different cars is like the Schumacher/Hakkinen years

- this is also linked to the fact that the drivers are now clearly making a difference; you can see much more where a driver is doing something dramatic and finding time as a result (see Grosjeans's lap or lots of what Alonso was doing)

- for all the talk of 'just' 1.7 secs faster, these were the fastest laps ever turned at this circuit and it's visible. The temps and nature of the track mean we'll be faster elsewhere (vs 2016 - and lest we forget that the target 5 secs is vs 2015) but still, fastest ever laps is still cool

I'm psyched for tomorrow and think we'll see a race where drivers are pushing throughout, which we'll be great; even if there's less overtaking, it'll be great to see them going for it and trying throughput (and bet you the lap record goes or is close towards the end) which in itself is likely to contribute to mistakes and incidents.

Jester Maroc

f1316 wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 13:02
I'm surprised everyone isn't a little bit more excited (including the commentators).

- finally we have a car that's capable of fighting the Mercedes; it's clearly not quite as good (look no further than Bottas vs Kimi) but it's close enough for a fight - exactly what we've all been waiting for for years!!

- as a result of which, we have the two most successful drivers going head to head; a fight between Vettel in Hamilton in two different cars is like the Schumacher/Hakkinen years

- this is also linked to the fact that the drivers are now clearly making a difference; you can see much more where a driver is doing something dramatic and finding time as a result (see Grosjeans's lap or lots of what Alonso was doing)

- for all the talk of 'just' 1.7 secs faster, these were the fastest laps ever turned at this circuit and it's visible. The temps and nature of the track mean we'll be faster elsewhere (vs 2016 - and lest we forget that the target 5 secs is vs 2015) but still, fastest ever laps is still cool

I'm psyched for tomorrow and think we'll see a race where drivers are pushing throughout, which we'll be great; even if there's less overtaking, it'll be great to see them going for it and trying throughput (and bet you the lap record goes or is close towards the end) which in itself is likely to contribute to mistakes and incidents.
These are very good points. I am super excited to see that the emphasis has ever so slightly shifted to the drivers.
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

3jawchuck

FIA document 27 says:
The Williams Martini Racing team has changed the gearbox of car number 18, driver Lance Stroll,
after P3 without informing the FiA.
I would like to refer this matter to the stewards for their consideration.
The FIA Formula One Technical Delegate
So, this is a grid penalty right? But, he starts from the back, so do penalties get rolled over this year or is it the same as before?

ferkan

f1316 wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 13:02

I wouldnt really look at Kimi as he was solid untill Q3 where he has been very hit and miss last 2 years. Put Ric or Verstappen in that car and suddenly you have 4 cars all under 3 tenths of each other.

ema00

Juzh wrote:
Mercedes vs Ferrari

does anyone know why hamilton's speed becomes cyano sometimes (very often indeed)? is that related to energy recovery?