2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Here is the driver 61 video.

Ferrai more downforce. Vettel could brake up to 20m later. But more ustable car.

Merc less drag or more power. Earlier braking. Earlier on throttle. Stable rear.

This could be all down to setup folks. vettel!! Race will be tougher than Ham's with keeping that ferrari's tyres cool that' for sure.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TAG

Good side by side comparison commentary there from D61. I hadn't seen a Vettel onboard but the glimpses I did see were that he's pushing as hard as that car can go. Hamilton by comparison was silk with his inputs and the Merc accelerates out of corners way ahead if the Ferrari.

I think tomorrow we'll see the gap even clearer.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

dans79

Having seen that, it looks like Hamilton was close to the edge, but wasn't on it. Vettel by contrast seems like he was over the edge.
197 104 103 7

giantfan10

TAG wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 20:47
Good side by side comparison commentary there from D61. I hadn't seen a Vettel onboard but the glimpses I did see were that he's pushing as hard as that car can go. Hamilton by comparison was silk with his inputs and the Merc accelerates out of corners way ahead if the Ferrari.

My opinion is that its a difference in driving style and slight car handling differences.
Vettel is consistently later on the brakes and as a result later on the throttle at or before the apex.
Hamilton is earlier on the brakes and earlier on the throttle.
That accounts for hamilton being faster on corner exit "slow in fast out"
its interesting to see the laps side by side and the obvious mistakes vettel made.
Does a full load of fuel at race start magnify the slight oversteer that vettel has or does it cure it?
does car length have anything to do with vettels oversteer and Hamiltons slight understeer?
is it down to hamilton having a better setup?
Hamilton had a more balanced car which in turn makes it look as if he wasnt pushing...trust me he was, he just didnt make any mistakes and vettel made a few which accounts for a quarter of a second.

casper

Is that the list for the DNF's?[/quote]
Never undereatimate Fernando Alonso, the walking God![/quote]

No, it is KEK who is the god of truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

casper

ferkan wrote:I
Interesting, as full analysis of their lap by driver61 came to conclusion that Vettel constantly break later, but Hamilton was earlier on the throttle. Merc also had ever so slight understeer while Ferrari was a bit tail happy.
It was RIC who diid not brake, which breaks his RB car.

This talk about breaking and braking confused me for a while there.

FrukostScones

giantfan10 wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 21:45
TAG wrote:

My opinion is that its a difference in driving style and slight car handling differences.
Vettel is consistently later on the brakes and as a result later on the throttle at or before the apex.
its interesting to see the laps side by side and the obvious mistakes vettel made.
Does a full load of fuel at race start magnify the slight oversteer that vettel has or does it cure it?
does car length have anything to do with vettels oversteer and Hamiltons slight understeer?
Hamilton had a more balanced car which in turn makes it look as if he wasnt pushing...trust me he was, he just didnt make any mistakes and vettel made a few which accounts for a quarter of a second.
sounds like Sirotkin observations
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/test ... in-883483/
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

giantfan10

FrukostScones wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 22:22
giantfan10 wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 21:45
TAG wrote:

sounds like Sirotkin observations
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/test ... in-883483/
lol no i didnt plagiarize Sirotkin

renatope

Grosjean lap was awesome. Haas seem to have very good aero through 11 and 12, maybe they can fight for the top of the midfield, impressive.

henra

Restomaniac wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 11:55
One thing that struck me on watching that is that Vettel seems to be having to do a lot more steering wheel inputs than Hamilton.
What I noticed most is that the Merc was 3-5 km/h faster at the end of each straight, even short ones (Short ones 3, longer ones 5 km/h). Apex speeds were identical +/- 1 km/h.
There still seems to be a certain PU advantage (would it be just drag there would be less difference at the end of short straights, where drag is not a dominant factor) although much less than before.

atanatizante

1. 2015 pole was 1:26:3 and 2017 pole is 1:22:2 so there is a 4.1 sec/lap improvement ... had there was a warmer day I think it could have been over 5 sec. difference

2. Commentators on RTL said that the new colored dot timing system represents 212m for one dot

3. Niky Lauda said on RTL that tomorrow we should see a one stop strategy, so 22-25 laps on US a then 33-36 laps on S tyre ... but I can see Vettel doing something different like 28-30 laps on US and then 2 stints with SS and US at the end had he lose the start ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Manoah2u

I think Ferrari is going to actually win,
and Hamilton will have a battle with Bottas
which Verstappen will be eager to jump into.

Matter of fact, i think Vettel is going to dive into the first corner in front of Lewis, causing Lewis to brake extra,
And then Bottas will go side to side with Lewis and think he'll be able to beat Lewis, but they'll run out of track,
and Bottas will make contact with Lewis, pushing him into the runoff area, and Verstappen then passing both Mercs,
and then will see the rest of the race Bottas in battle with Massa and Lewis on the hunt back to P1, whilst Max is
also smelling Victory, but not able to fend off the faster Mercedes of Lewis and then also pass Seb at the pitstops,
as they get delayed a bit by error and delay from a passing competitor in the pitlane,

but then a Safety car situation neutralizes all of that and at the restart Lewis outbrakes himself due to colder tires
and Seb jumps him in a corner and then Lewis has to fend off Max for the remainder and Seb then winning the race.

Ferrari fans go crazy but don't realise that will be the only win of the season :D
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

Anyway, it was mentioned that drivers and teams - and spectators - expected the cars to be faster than they were today.
Then again, i also heared that by the end of the season the cars should be 1,5 second faster, which would rather correct that.

overly enthusiastic on the theory of being a full 4-5 seconds faster or is it something else?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

SectorOne

Mercedes chassis looks super nice. No funny stuff going on and Hamilton seems to "know" what it will do whereas Vettel is not entirely sure what the car will do, hence the jerky reactions on turn-in and snap oversteers on exits.

Like Giantfan said, maybe fuel on the car sorts the Ferrari out. Either way, it looks like we have a proper race on our hands here.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Phil

Everyone is talking about the starts going to be more difficult this year. Will they, given the tires are this much wider?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter