2017 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai 07-09 April

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wynters
Wynters

Re: 2017 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai 07-09 April

Manoah2u wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 09:55
Also, Grosjean was not really being a 'gentleman' about it, driving the racing line that made him similarly an opponent to overtake despite being lapped. You can argue he has his right to do so because of the rule change, but likewise, he had no opponent around him, and he would not gain nor lose anything. It rather makes him a annoying little *** that is living only for his own d*mn space. It would have been a 'gentleman's thing, or, the 'correct' thing, to simply move aside so the RB's could pass. he would have lost NOTHING.
They don't benefit themselves from it, they only negatively impact the cars that lap them.
The frontrunners MIGHT ruin a meager point if that same backmarker doesnt act accordingly towards their competitor closeby.
Yeah, damn everyone who isn't Merc, Ferrari or Red Bull! It's unbelievable that they don't all file into the pits after the grid lap and instantly retire. Imagine actually having the temerity to try and race for meager points! As soon as Verstappen got within 5-6 seconds of the car in front it should have pulled off the circuit and stopped! Losing the 8-10 seconds whilst Verstappen swanned by was the 'moral' and 'correct' thing to do. What's ten seconds? Personally, I couldn't believe it when Magnussen and the Force India's even had the temerity to stay out and finish the race once Hamilton got close to them! Even Sainz stayed out when it was clear that, on the long straight, some of his disturbed air had the chance to potentially move some marbles (also put down by those selfish non-Red Bulls/Ferrari/Mercs). Hamilton might have driven over those! I mean, sure, he earned his team six points by being so selfish, but that's nothing compared to the catastrophic impact his presence on the circuit would (WOULD!) have definitely had on both the WDC and WCC.

Or perhaps, just perhaps, backmarkers have a right to race too and the leaders (all of them) have to deal with the backmarkers in accordance to the rules. Being lapped without losing significant time is even a recognised skill amongst midfield and backmarker drivers.

DVB

I thought they would have standing starts in 2017 after a safety car? Does anyone know why this didnt happen?
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

nevill3

The standing starts are only after a normal start is forced to be behind the safety car due to weather. The cars would follow the safety car until Charlie decides that the track is safe to race on then the safety car pulls in and the drivers line up on the grid for a proper start. If a safety car occurs during the race there is no standing restart.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Schuttelberg

fiohaa wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 12:30
I do wonder why Ferrari didn't get kimi out the way and let vettel through. You'd think they'd tell kimi "u got 3 laps to pass him, or let vettel try ". That potentially cost vettel the win, as ham said on the podium he was having to push and trade fastest laps. Ferrari strategy still gives me concerns. It was such an obvious thing to do.
It's a risk. You're basically telling Kimi that he has to help Ferrari with the WCC and that he's Seb's rear gunner. It would shod his already brittle self confidence. But, at least it kills the number 1 and number 2 myth at Ferrari.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

pipoloko
pipoloko

Sevach wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 06:20
pipoloko wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 03:09
it grabbed my attention that mercedes qualy lap engine is always under 12.000 rpm
Just like every other engine since 2014...

YEAH but the rules permits 15.000 RPM
is 12.000 a sweet spot to fulfill the maximum fuel limit (105)?

giantfan10
giantfan10

Phil wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 10:26
wickedz50 wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 10:16
Ferrari unlucky, how do you expect a SC coming after a VSC? Gamble did not pay off but good recovery to come second, RBR screwed them pretty bad in first 20 laps...its really hard to overtake...
I did. Lots of drivers gambling for slicks on a very challenging track? Near guarantee for a crash IMO. If there hadnt been a VSC (equaling less time loss on a pitstop), most drivers would have stayed out a few more laps on inters.

Ferrari gambled, but in the end it didnt cost them much. One could say the safety car helped those drivers on slicks to get a few laps of running meaning more time for the track to dry out. It was a no brainer for all cars on inters to pit under safety car to slicks for the sane reason: get on the same tire, lower pit time loss and plenty of laps at safety car speeds while the track dries out.

Ps: The safety car didnt put them behind RedBull. It was their own pitting under VSC that set them back while the Bulls stayed out.
This is the reality of the situation period!
"The leading cars should have been in the pits changing tyres, while Vettel headed down the main straight already equipped with slicks. Instead the top five were in effect protected, so Hamilton, Ricciardo (who didn't actually change tyres until the second trundle down the pitlane), Raikkonen, Verstappen (after a brilliant start from 16th) and Bottas (having lost three places with a pitstop glitch) emerged in that order.
Vettel had no choice but to follow them out in sixth."
Yes the safety car put Vettel behind Red bull, without the safety car Vettel in all probability would be leading the race... he was 17 seconds behind hamilton(pitlane delta =20+ seconds) and even less behind the bulls after he changed to slicks.The fact that the field went through the pit lane during the safety car period screwed the perfect strategy that Ferrari had.

As far as the red bull resurgence? There is no red bull resurgence,they were flattered by the weather and the VSC and SC.. look for them to be a cool 1.4 seconds behind Ferrari and Mercedes this coming weekend.

ema00
ema00

first stint (after vettel pass verstappen)

second stint (vettel on used soft)

notsofast
notsofast

Manoah2u wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 09:55
notsofast wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 22:18
...stuff...
...cheap shotting...
Sorry, my apologies, that was a failed cheap shot at all those on this forum who prefer to complain about drivers rather than discuss technical issues. If you read the rest of my post, you'll see that you and I are more-or-less saying the same thing. It's bad enough that racing is hampered by wake turbulence, and I'm suggesting/asking if something should be done about wake turbulence from backmarkers.

hollus

pipoloko wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 14:25
Sevach wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 06:20
pipoloko wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 03:09
it grabbed my attention that mercedes qualy lap engine is always under 12.000 rpm
Just like every other engine since 2014...

YEAH but the rules permits 15.000 RPM
is 12.000 a sweet spot to fulfill the maximum fuel limit (105)?
Yes, 12000 is about the earliest you can shift up and still be at 10500 rpm in the higher gear, so the lowest possible revs for maximum fuel flow.
Rivals, not enemies.

dans79

anyone seen footage of this?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36165.html
Former F1 driver Christian Danner has raised doubts about the legality of Ferrari's 2017 car.
on-board camera footage of the red racer has shown flexibility of both the front wing elements and floor.

Danner, a pundit for German television RTL, said: "If I was one of the other teams, I would want it (the Ferrari) checked."
197 104 103 7

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 02:37
Shrieker wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 00:33

I'm +1 for not keeping Kimi (even said they should've hired Bianchi instead 3 years ago *sigh*), but to be perfectly honest they compromised his race by delaying his pit stop on the off chance that Lewis would run out of tires, pit and fall behind Kimi so he could be held up for Vettel. He was basically calling for a pit stop many, many laps in advance. If not for the intentional delay, he'd have finished ahead of the bulls.
He would fall back behind the bulls and worst case, Bottas. If he couldn't pass Dan earlier how would he pass three cars then? I can't see it. I was for Kimi staying out and defending.

??

He would have undercut everyone + wouldn't loose time behind ric that much. Everyone had 2 stops, remember? He have not needed to pass anyone at all, he would have been the 1st one to stop. Maybe towards end he might have been under pressure. People had to pass him not other way around..

marvin78
marvin78

dans79 wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 17:12
anyone seen footage of this?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36165.html
Former F1 driver Christian Danner has raised doubts about the legality of Ferrari's 2017 car.
on-board camera footage of the red racer has shown flexibility of both the front wing elements and floor.

Danner, a pundit for German television RTL, said: "If I was one of the other teams, I would want it (the Ferrari) checked."
Where is this footage?

Christian Danner... Sorry for my language but he is an idiot. You cannot watch RTL broadcast without shaking your head all the time.

That does not mean, that I think, Ferrari could not be illegal but if Danner says so, it's like a 1 year old child says something like that.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

DVB wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 12:42
I thought they would have standing starts in 2017 after a safety car? Does anyone know why this didnt happen?

That was deemed a step too far, they weren't sure if the clutches could handle so many starts

dans79

marvin78 wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 17:24
Where is this footage?
This is the only thing I've seen, it's flexing, but I don't know if its to much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pseryoyQxO8
197 104 103 7

zac510
zac510

I've just been watching the highlights. The teams really need to put some terms into the driver's contracts: "If you're being followed by your team mate and you complain about your car's performance on the radio then you must immediately cede position to your teammate."
Maybe that would finally stop the whinging on the team radio, but I'm not so sure!