2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FrukostScones

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Thunders wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 12:39
Why worried? It's good publicity for McLaren in America, Fernando is kept happy and McLaren isn't in the run for the Championship anyways.

Plus we maybe get a Monaco Farewell Race for Jenson. =D>
Well for the wellbeing oft this former champ. Oft course it is a great opportunjty for him to prove himself and keep the Honda relationship intact, but Ovals are dangerous. Especially when you want prove the world that you are the greatest, and you never have driven in this Kind of envirement.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

BosF1
BosF1

I genuinely hope Button will get to drive in Monaco!

Chene_Mostert

Since Indicar is more a entertainment Show than a sport event, do you think the organisers, Honda,Liberty & Zack cut a deal to make Fernando win...

The publicity potential will be huge for F1, Honda, Indi and Mclaren.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Sonador
Sonador

BosF1 wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 13:10
I genuinely hope Button will get to drive in Monaco!
+1

superdowg316

This is absolutely incredible. I know there's always been talk of drivers making the switch, but for Fernando to do it is huge. It will be as big as Mansell-mania was in 1993.

I think this is probably Honda going to Fernando and saying "Look, the car is going to be awful for the next while until we know the updates are good, we'll put you in one of the top IndyCar teams powered by a competitive Honda and you go nuts at Indy as a sorry gift".

Can you imagine if he wins? It is a possibility thanks to Rossi winning for the same team last year.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

BosF1
BosF1

Chene_Mostert wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 13:11
Since Indicar is more a entertainment Show than a sport event, do you think the organisers, Honda,Liberty & Zack cut a deal to make Fernando win...

The publicity potential will be huge for F1, Honda, Indi and Mclaren.
Are you really stating that the winner of an event like the Indy 500 is determined beforehand? A race where always many cars drop out due to crashes, mechanical failure and what more. Highly unlikely they are even able (!) to determine who is going to win, let alone they would not do this.

FW17

The livery is more suited for Indycar than F1

ChrisM40
ChrisM40

I'd love it if he won, it would prove the point that F1 is the pinnacle, although its not like that hasn't been proven before.

BosF1
BosF1

If I think about the vacant seat for Monaco, I reckon:
- That you would want an experienced driver, since it is a one of.
- Monaco is, as we all know, a one of a kind track: very narrow and tight. You would want a driver who has driven here in the past, especially since the 2017 cars are significantly wider, hence less room for error.
- As mentioned, the cars are completely different this year from previous years. Ideally you would want a driver who is familiar with the current (concept of the) car. Since all drivers, which are known with the current cars, are already driving for the different teams, this isn't possible. In my opinion, the second best thing is to give the seat to a driver familiar with the cars right before this new era of rules.
- A bonus would be if the driver knows the team already.

These things considered, I really see no other option than Button. What do you guys think?

diffuser

mclaren111 wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 09:00
I really hope Honda can have one "new" engine ready for Friday and use the FP's to make sure everything "fits" and thus ensure we have a good test next week.
It would count towards the year's allotment of PUs for the year.

santos
santos

BosF1 wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 13:36
If I think about the vacant seat for Monaco, I reckon:
- That you would want an experienced driver, since it is a one of.
- Monaco is, as we all know, a one of a kind track: very narrow and tight. You would want a driver who has driven here in the past, especially since the 2017 cars are significantly wider, hence less room for error.
- As mentioned, the cars are completely different this year from previous years. Ideally you would want a driver who is familiar with the current (concept of the) car. Since all drivers, which are known with the current cars, are already driving for the different teams, this isn't possible. In my opinion, the second best thing is to give the seat to a driver familiar with the cars right before this new era of rules.
- A bonus would be if the driver knows the team already.

These things considered, I really see no other option than Button. What do you guys think?
Maldonado... :D Nico Rosberg, just for one race at home.
Now, really, i only see Button. Or Oliver Turvey.

Thunder

diffuser wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 13:52

It would count towards the year's allotment of PUs for the year.
Another good Point against testing it on Friday.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Redragon

It would be nice to give it to Nico Rosberg, he will be racing at home and would have the opportunity to race just once with number 1 on the car

OneAlex

Everyone...

It has to be Button in the seat though surely? What's the point of having him on the payrole with his "everybody wins" contract if the first time they need an experienced driver (to race around one of the most prestigious circuits on the calendar, too) they give it to an ex-Mercedes driver or the guy who ran Cloud City?

CBeck113
CBeck113

This could be a desaster for Liberty though - wait until Fred praises the V8 engines ... unless it's all part of their plan to get NA V6 / V8 engines back in F1.... :D
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail