F4 crash Billy Monger

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Chuckjr

F4 crash Billy Monger

If you have not seen the recent F4 crash, here it is. It is terrible. Driver lost both legs.

Why were there no yellow flags, or had the other driver just stopped in track mere seconds beforehand? I cannot find an overhead shot to see if there were any warnings. Anyone have any information about this accident?

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Eb1k2wNfTUc[/youtube]
Watching F1 since 1986.

Just_a_fan

Re: F4 crash Billy Monger

The driver is only 17 years old. Terrible outcome for the poor lad.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Pierce89

Horrible. Poor kid.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Manoah2u

darn. that is horrible stuff
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

I happened to watch the live coverage (I don't often watch F4, but it looks like decent racing). It's one of the support races for BTCC.

He was the only car carrying onboard camera, making his way back through the field (I think he was shuffled down in the 1st lap) at the time.

I didn't notice any flags at the time, the coverage picked him up not long before the crash while he was passing other cars. No other angles shown at the time. He was looking pretty quick.

I've read comments online that the other driver (Patrick Pasma) had spun, but can't confirm - wasn't shown in the coverage. Pasma was reported to have remained conscious and been taken to the medical centre for further checks, but I've not seen any news since.

Tbh, watching it back, I don't even see a manned marshall's post on that part of the track. He had no chance of avoiding that one - so little time with the other car in view.

It got red flagged promptly and the coverage told us medical/recovery were on scene immediately.

It's reportedly his lower legs - still awful, but probably easier to get back driving (having knees) than it was for Zanardi, if he chooses to...
https://www.motorsport.com/formula4/new ... sh-895833/

Andres125sx

OMG this is shocking, poor boy

Thanks god current cars are really safe, some time ago that crash would have ended up with someone death

WaikeCU

Poor kid. Hope he'll recover well, be strong and be an example to others.

This is just my opinion, but I read they are looking for £260.000 crowdfunding to fund his recovery process of young Billy.They've already gone over that by reaching £350k. Odd to see none of the big names in F1 came out with a helping hand and fund the recovery themselves. The kid might not be able to drive a formula car ever again. I've seen football players funding ill ones all themselves. That's why it made me think.

langwadt

WaikeCU wrote:
20 Apr 2017, 11:58
Poor kid. Hope he'll recover well, be strong and be an example to others.

This is just my opinion, but I read they are looking for £260.000 crowdfunding to fund his recovery process of young Billy.They've already gone over that by reaching £350k. Odd to see none of the big names in F1 came out with a helping hand and fund the recovery themselves. The kid might not be able to drive a formula car ever again. I've seen football players funding ill ones all themselves. That's why it made me think.
from what I've read Button gave £15K, probably many other drivers and teams aswell

Phil

Jesus, that's just horrible. :( Makes you realize how dangerous motorsport is, no matter how much is done in the name of safety.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ChrisDanger

WaikeCU wrote:
Odd to see none of the big names in F1 came out with a helping hand and fund the recovery themselves.
Button and Verstappen are known to have donated £15k each. Many donations are anonymous, so we don't really know who else donated.

WaikeCU

ChrisDanger wrote:
20 Apr 2017, 14:16
WaikeCU wrote:
Odd to see none of the big names in F1 came out with a helping hand and fund the recovery themselves.
Button and Verstappen are known to have donated £15k each. Many donations are anonymous, so we don't really know who else donated.
Yeah just read it as well. I appreciate the gesture, but what is £15k when you earn millions a year.

For example I've read Cristiano Ronaldo single handed paid for a kid's expensive treatment for a serious illness.

marvin78

That's a dificult discussion. Where do you end? If you try to help everyone who suffers by accident....

Writinglife

Considering that many current drivers are at risk of the very same situation, I can understand why they don't give away that much to individuals.

You can't fault many drivers for their charitable work, and I don't see how you can faul JB or Verstappen for giving what amounts to a years salary for the average person. Don't forget that F1 drivers are in the minority for wealth in motorsport.

WaikeCU

marvin78 wrote:
20 Apr 2017, 14:45
That's a dificult discussion. Where do you end? If you try to help everyone who suffers by accident....
I know it's a difficult discussion, but we're talking about a kid that was in a life threatening / career ending accident. Nobody deserves this and certainely not a kid. I only wondered why no big name stepped up and made a big gesture. Not going to start a massive discussion lads. Not intended to. Just got me thinking. Different mentality in sports?

marvin78

Perhaps they don't care about hearing their name as donor. Than there is the fact, that there are thousands of pro football players and only 20 - 25 F1 drivers.