2017 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 14-16

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phil

Re: 2017 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 14-16

I think we must be careful not to over observe these things. The margins are so tight that they are not only skill dependent, but include part of luck as well. The driver may judge the biting point of the clutch perfectly, but he can not gauge the grip levels and tire temperature perfectly. Also, the grip levels are not equal on both sides of the track (outside/inside), so the perfect biting point of the clutch may vary.

Example:
P1 on the potentially clean side of the track vs P2 on the potentially dirty side. Equal perfect starts by identical cars would in theory yield an advantage to the car starting on P1 (plus a sizeable chunk above).

In 2014, 2015, I felt Lewis was nigh on perfect, even when starting on P2. The Mercedes showed a clear tendency to weaker starts when sitting for too long on the grid, so usually when Lewis started on P2, he took his time while Rosberg was already lined up at the start. This meant that Rosberg had a longer 'wait' and potentially a slightly warmer clutch at that point, changing the biting point.

2016 was a bit of hit and mix for both Rosberg. Yes, Rosberg edged it there, but he had his fair share of 'bad starts' too, which led me to believe that the new starting regulations just made things impossibly hard for both Mercedes to the point it was less a skill based challenge but one with a certain element of luck.

Having said that, Lewis has dialed it down quite a bit to when you look at his 2011 season. Part of that IMO stems from the fact that he has had a very good car in recent years so playing the 'long game' has become more important than ever. In 2014 to 2016 he only faced his team-mate as a WDC challenger and at such, mistakes were very costly (potential DNF vs 25 point deficit). In 2010, 2011, 2012, the point loss was smaller because we had more different race winners and in those years he had a bigger backing by the team due to the fact that the WDC challengers were spread across different teams (Alonso / Ferrari, Vettel / RB etc).

I think this confidence and playing the "long term game" has helped Hamilton in becoming more consistent in his performance. By not being too aggressive at the start of the race, there is less risk of "throwing it all away" by a badly timed maneuver. In Bahrain, he was on the inside with less grip. He decided not to overcook the brakes (e.g. he braked earlier, fully aware he would probably need a longer braking distance being on corner inside) and that is where Vettel gained the position by braking later. At that point, keeping your nose in the corner would only result in a potential DNF for both cars, a broken front wing. By not being too aggressive, he kept himself inside the race.

There are times when to be aggressive and there are times where not to be. More often than not, I think he gets it right, even if it means he loses a place here and there. You're not always dealt the best cards. Starting on the off position sometimes means that you are at a disadvantage vs the cars on the cleaner side of the track and you do what you can.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

sAx
sAx

Wass85 wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 22:50
dans79 wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 20:21
Wass85 wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 20:03
Hamilton definitely needs to work on his first corner approach because it's been shocking for the last few years.
Seriously, what are you talking about?

He didn't have a good turn 1 because he was on the inside with a car to his out side.

Would you prefer he just drive into the side of Vettel so he has a good entry and exit to turn 1?
Seriously what I said, he's been terrible at the first corner for a good few years now. Not all the time but most of the time he brakes way too early compared to the cars around him. He needs to be more assertive now the cars are evenly matched and overtaking is more difficult.
Trying to out brake eveyone and win race at first corner was perceived historically as his weakness....not trying to out brake everyone and win the race at the first corner is now perceived as his weakeness! No greater definition of a cognitive dissonance!!
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

komninosm

basti313 wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 22:35
komninosm wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 17:12
lks wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 18:02
The only rule i can find is :

"No car may be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed
potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person at any time whilst the safety car is
deployed. This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the
pit lane.."

Don't se how Hamilton broke that rule. I can't fint a rule regarding blocking.
Yeah, vague rules only seem to favor Ferrari like in China when Vettel wasn't penalized for his starting off his grid box.
AMG.Tzan wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 19:46
What an utter nonsense penalty to Hamilton! Not only did it destroy the Hamilton vs Vettel battle we've been waiting for, but also we've seen many times drivers slowing down the others behind when they stuck up behind their teammate in the pitlane...I remember Raikkonen at Spa in 2005 slowing down the whole field just to let Montoya do his pit stop and not stuck up behind him! Other than that the race was spectacular with great overtaking moves...specially at the end of the pit straight we saw who's got the balls to brake late!! I really think the new Tilke-droms will suit these new cars so much better...so nicely done there Formula 1...faster cars, beautiful cars, much better and braver overtaking moves!! =D>
FIARRARI at it again it seems.
I do not know what is vague on "No car may be driven unnecessarily slowly". Did I overlook any necessary reason to slow down for Ham?
What is vague about Vettel not starting in his box? Nice bias there FIArrari fan