2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Stalker1

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

I did not know that Paffett have any relations with Williams! I thought he is still with McLaren...

LookBackTime

The message should come back !!!

LookBackTime

Williams Advanced Engineering gets $125 million to build EV battery factory in the UK
Fred Lambert - Apr. 14th 2017 9:50 am ET @FredericLambert

https://electrek.co/2017/04/14/williams ... actory-uk/

LookBackTime

BAHRAIN TEST – DAY ONE
18 APR 2017

Driver: Lance Stroll / Felipe Massa
Chassis / Engine: FW40-01 / Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+
Weather: Warm and Dry
Maximum air & track temps: 35ºC / 41ºC

Rod Nelson, Chief Test & Support Engineer: We had an interesting day. It is very different running continuously in the heat of the day rather than under the floodlights, as we do for qualifying and the race. One issue today was the very strong wind, which was blustery so it was stronger at some times and weaker at others, and the track temperatures were in the mid to high forties which makes life a little bit tricky for us. In the morning we focused on performance based runs with Lance, before moving on to a series of longer runs with Felipe in the afternoon, looking at car setup and aero configuration. Despite the problems we had with the weather conditions, it is actually nice to do some testing on a hot track, and it is the first time this year we have had that so we have got plenty to work on now. Tomorrow Gary is in the car and we will continue our aerodynamic tests before moving on to both tyre and mechanical set-up work later in the day.

Lance Stroll: Today I have used multiple sets of tyres trying different little things, nothing special, just tweaking bits and more driving for myself, which is always good. I need to try small changes to see how the car feels. It really is about the simple stuff. For me all the seat time I can get is good, as there is always something I can gain from being in the car. With tests like today, when we are not limited on what we can do, it is just good to experiment. That is something Williams knows I have to do and also I know that myself. For sure I am out there competing and trying my best, but it is also about understanding and learning before I can reach the maximum of my capability as a racing driver.

Felipe Massa: Well, it was only a half day today! To be honest the track was very windy. It’s never really easy to understand all the changes that you make with the car, because the track conditions seem to change on every run. So it wasn’t an easy test, but that’s the way it is. Overall we did some good laps and I hope we can use that to understand more and continue to improve the car.

LookBackTime

Massa column: Bahrain confirmed we're best of the rest
By: Felipe Massa, Driver columnist

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mass ... st-895727/

In his latest Motorsport.com column, Felipe Massa says the Bahrain Grand Prix confirmed Williams' status as best of the rest in F1 - and further clarifies the situation with Max Verstappen.

I think I can sum up the Bahrain Grand Prix as a good weekend for Williams Martini Racing. At the end of the race, I had the feeling that we had done the best we could throughout the weekend.

Since the free practice sessions, the feeling with the car was very good, even in the considerable heat we faced in FP1. The positive results also came from the race simulation we completed in FP2, and after the long-run I realised that we had some good chances in Sunday's race.

Saturday’s performance confirmed those feelings – including the one that Renault currently has a very good performance in qualifying. In China, I had been able to get in front of Nico Hulkenberg at the last minute, but in Bahrain he came out on top of our battle.

However, after a good start, I was able to get past the Renault and our race pace proved to be competitive – although not enough to fight with Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull.

Even so, there were two times I was fighting with Kimi Raikkonen and I enjoyed it a lot. In the end, though, when the tyres started to degrade, we saw the difference between us and the top three teams.

Finishing sixth was an important achievement, as it confirmed again that we are best of the rest behind the top three teams. But the other good news from the Sakhir weekend was the absence of the problems that hurt my race in China. I am also pretty confident that we won’t suffer a repeat of those when we return to low-temperature conditions.

One other big positive – and one I want to thank the team for – is that our pitstops remain the class of the field. Even in Bahrain, as we were in Melbourne and in China, we were the fastest with our tyre changes – which confirms the great work done by everyone at Grove over the winter months.

Development race

After the race, all the teams and many drivers stayed at Sakhir for the in-season test, as the development war begins to ramp up. I do not think that Williams will lose ground on this front.

Everyone in the team, from me to Paddy Lowe and all the aerodynamicists, we are focused on bringing forward a development programme different to that of 2016. In Bahrain we tried some things which worked well, and there will also be further developments in Sochi and Barcelona.

We will see during the year if there's a chance to give a little annoyance to the top teams, but in the meantime I think it's already very good to see that Formula 1 has again got two teams fighting for victory. It is something we got used to seeing for many years.

When there is the unpredictability about the result, the audience is passionate about things a lot more. And it would be even more interesting if there were more teams fighting for the victory. We hope that can happen in the future…

Verstappen situation sorted

Before we get to Sochi, also, I want to send a greeting to Max Verstappen.

During the Sakhir weekend things got a bit intense between us after he made some comments. But then we talked and got things sorted.

He is a good guy and a great driver – and I’m sure that many Brazilian fans will support him at Interlagos later this year after the great race he gave us in 2016.

LookBackTime

BAHRAIN TEST – DAY TWO
19 APR 2017

Bahrain Test Three – Day Two

Driver: Gary Paffett
Chassis / Engine: FW40-01 / Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+
Weather: Warm and Dry
Maximum air & track temps: 37ºC / 40ºC

Rod Nelson, Chief Test & Support Engineer: It’s been a very productive day. The morning was mostly spent undertaking aero investigations, and in the afternoon we covered some chassis and tyre work. It’s really interesting to get another driver’s point of view and look at the differences in driving style from someone so experienced. It was really useful feedback for us moving forward. We finished off the afternoon with some more aero runs, race starts and set-up. We really covered everything in the plan over the 126 laps that we completed. So it was a very good session.

Gary Paffett: It’s been a while since I’ve done a full test in a Formula One car! It’s really good to be back in the car, really good. The cars this year with the increased downforce, and more grip in the tyres, are really nice to drive. We’ve had a really good day. We’ve done a lot of laps, which is really good, and we got all of our testing done. That’s the purpose really, to get all the testing done, and then for me to go back and validate the simulator. So overall it was really nice to drive the car and I’m very happy with how the day went.

LookBackTime

Stroll still learning despite "annoying" DNF streak - Lowe

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/stro ... we-896586/

Stalker1

LookBackTime wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 13:48
Stroll still learning despite "annoying" DNF streak - Lowe

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/stro ... we-896586/

There was interesting conversation going on below the article. Some say that Stroll has been the victim of others agressiveness towards a newbie. Other say that Strolls situational and spatial awarenesses are poor...

edu2703

Renault brought updates to Russia. Williams, updates? :oops: :oops:

It's expected that Renault will perform better than the Williams in qualifying and race. Something I said it would happen because Williams has no competence in updating the car throughout the season. And it's no use blaming the lack of budget because this does not stop Force India from updating its car.