Suggestion: Completely hide posts by 'ignored' users

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
RZS10

Suggestion: Completely hide posts by 'ignored' users

There should be an option to have those posts not show up at all instead of the " XX who is currently on your ignore list, made this post." message - ideally even hiding replies to those posts which quote them.

With the current system a lot of threads end up being pointless discussions between a bunch of (really poor) trolls with people who for some reasons unknown to me do not have them on their ignore list, meaning that one ends up reading the mindless drivel anyways - it's very hard to find the very little useful information (in the race threads for example).

Should the above not be a viable solution how about race threads similar to the "F1 2016 vs 2017: mathematical/statistical comparison" viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26028 thread? Just race strategies, laptime comparisons, vids of overtakes, graphical analysis of collisions etc
Last edited by RZS10 on 01 May 2017, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

dans79

Re: Suggestion: Completely hide posts by 'ignored' users

Personally, I'd prefer we just crack down on the trolls so that they don't post anymore in general.
197 104 103 7

RZS10

that would be the easiest solution but where do you draw the line between trolling, fanboyism and being misinformed?

dans79

RZS10 wrote:
01 May 2017, 17:08
that would be the easiest solution but where do you draw the line between trolling, fanboyism and being misinformed?
That would be for the moderation staff to decide. Something definitely needs to be done though, because the race threads are ripe with trolls and fanboys this year, spewing the same stupidity over and over even when presented with cold hard facts.
197 104 103 7

The_table

dans79 wrote:
01 May 2017, 17:14
RZS10 wrote:
That would be for the moderation staff to decide. Something definitely needs to be done though, because the race threads are ripe with trolls and fanboys this year, spewing the same stupidity over and over even when presented with cold hard facts.
Maybe limit the amount of times you can post in a race thread in X amount of posts? (So if you have posted, you must wait X posts before being allowed to answer, that could prevent endless flame wars?)(So ONLY for race threads, in other threads it's less of a problem.)

Just_a_fan

Better yet, if someone gets ignored by, say 10 people, they get excluded from the forum until a mod has a chat with them.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 May 2017, 17:48
Better yet, if someone gets ignored by, say 10 people, they get excluded from the forum until a mod has a chat with them.
I've seen something similar to this on a different forum. The forum in question is no longer around but from memory each user had a rating or whatever you want to call it per thread. if a users rating dropped below a certain level they could no longer post on that thread.
197 104 103 7

Steven
Owner

Interesting suggestion indeed. I just ran a DB query to see which users were most ignored. There is only one that was ignored more than 10 times, and 4 more between 5 and 10 times.
I'll share the list among the mods. Something for us to keep in mind then.

Generally though, it doesn't hurt to use the report button, to help draw attention to things...

TAG

Just found this, after making some comments on the Russian GP thread. It's not fanboyism or general enthusiasm that bothers me, it's the position that a handful of people take that facts don't matter and their opinion "trumps" :twisted: all opposing viewpoints even after being presented factual data.

The life blood of a forum is the discussion and arguments, it would be boring without it, but they have to be based in reality otherwise, it's just all pointless and will drive people away.
The amount of energy nessesary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

hollus

I think I speak for many people when I say that many of us have already been driven away from the race threads. They are becoming cumbersome and brain dead.
Rivals, not enemies.

dans79

Steven wrote:
01 May 2017, 21:04
Generally though, it doesn't hurt to use the report button, to help draw attention to things...
I don't want this to come off the wrong way, but some times I don't think their are enough moderators to handle the race threads fast enough. The recent Russia thread is a good example. When I woke up this morning and checked it their was and entire page of fairly ludicrous back and forth between two users. it has since been removed, but I'm willing to bet a substantial number of users still saw it in all its horrendous glory.

TAG wrote:
01 May 2017, 21:18
It's not fanboyism or general enthusiasm that bothers me, it's the position that a handful of people take that facts don't matter and their opinion "trumps" :twisted: all opposing viewpoints even after being presented factual data.

The life blood of a forum is the discussion and arguments, it would be boring without it, but they have to be based in reality otherwise, it's just all pointless and will drive people away.
I 100% agree with this.
Last edited by dans79 on 01 May 2017, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

Steven
Owner

TAG wrote:
01 May 2017, 21:18
Just found this, after making some comments on the Russian GP thread. It's not fanboyism or general enthusiasm that bothers me, it's the position that a handful of people take that facts don't matter and their opinion "trumps" :twisted: all opposing viewpoints even after being presented factual data.
Again, report when observed. Such behaviour, when proven, is worthy of warnings, repeated warnings and bans.

wesley123

dans79 wrote:
01 May 2017, 17:14
RZS10 wrote:
imo the line between troll and sincerely not knowing(or having wrong information) is a rather gray area. Describing this, or acting on this essentially becomes people filling in what they think the other is doing, based on them having a different, controversial and/or incorrect opinion.
People get the label "troll" way too quickly these days, it has become a really easy way to kill any discussion you do not agree with.

And regardless of them being a troll or not, many ideas come out of failure and incorrect assumptions. Someone saying something stupid might just be the thing that sends the whole discussion on the right path.

I don't think it is very healthy for the forum if there is the constant fear of you being penalized because someone else who does not know you nor has ever met you concludes that you were "trolling". It will just block a discussion to anything even slightly controversial.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Steven
Owner

I agree wesley, which is why I mentioned "when proven". Insisting is one thing, but refusing to accept facts is something else. The latter makes for a tedious read through some threads, and warrants an alert from the mods to the members in question, hoping the situation improves.

Just_a_fan

The "troll" moniker is easy to apply when a particular user just turns up and says "driver/team X is rubbish". They then get in to an argument and constantly change their argument when presented with facts. I can think of a user in the race threads who says he is a fan of the driver and then every post is how rubbish that driver is. That's trolling. He's looking for the argument from the start.

I think "ignore status" along with low / negative personal score is a fair indicator of the type of user we don't need. Someone being wrong isn't a reason to ban, someone being a troll or otherwise objectionable is though.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.