Suggestion: Completely hide posts by 'ignored' users

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
George-Jung

Re: Suggestion: Completely hide posts by 'ignored' users

Perhaps if one is only or most active in the race threads... that is a good indicator?

dans79

wesley123 wrote:
01 May 2017, 21:50
imo the line between troll and sincerely not knowing(or having wrong information) is a rather gray area. Describing this, or acting on this essentially becomes people filling in what they think the other is doing, based on them having a different, controversial and/or incorrect opinion.
People get the label "troll" way too quickly these days, it has become a really easy way to kill any discussion you do not agree with.

And regardless of them being a troll or not, many ideas come out of failure and incorrect assumptions. Someone saying something stupid might just be the thing that sends the whole discussion on the right path.

I don't think it is very healthy for the forum if there is the constant fear of you being penalized because someone else who does not know you nor has ever met you concludes that you were "trolling". It will just block a discussion to anything even slightly controversial.
Personally I don't consider someone a troll because they have a differing opinion, or are incorrect about something.

To me a troll is someone who does one of two things.
  • Routinely posts with the sole intent of irritating other members. It could either be their tone, or the content of their post as Just_a_fan said.
  • Continues to be hostile and belligerent even after being given cold hard facts like rules or timing data.
I'd say we have no more than 10 active trolls on the forum. The ones I'm thinking of, have all either been around long enough or have enough post under their belts to know whats acceptable behavior and whats not.

I have a personal distaste for the ones who think its cute to skirt around the forum rules with heavy amounts of passive aggressive sarcasm. where I'm from and how I was raised It's ok with someone you know well, but to act that way with a complete stranger is a good to end up in a physical altercation.
197 104 103 7

The_table

Maybe those really intense arguments that usually happen in race threads should be moved to their own thread, that way the race thread stays clean but those arguments aren't just buried? (I think those arguments are ugly but valid.)

Users usually know what threads are toxic so they can actively avoid them and since the scope of such threads would be narrow there would be no reason to visit them UNLESS you want to argue, unlike a race thread which has a very wide scope.

Question:Is there a way to appeal against down-votes, because it's actually a very good system but you feel kind of powerless when something gets down-voted and you feel it was unjustified?

Sevach

I agree that the current system isn't very good at letting me forget a certain person exists, furthermore it should act like a twitter block, not letting him see your stuff and quote you.

krisfx

I've sometimes noticed these sorts of people have quite high rep, that always baffled me!

wesley123

dans79 wrote:
01 May 2017, 23:42
Personally I don't consider someone a troll because they have a differing opinion, or are incorrect about something.

To me a troll is someone who does one of two things.
  • Routinely posts with the sole intent of irritating other members. It could either be their tone, or the content of their post as Just_a_fan said.
  • Continues to be hostile and belligerent even after being given cold hard facts like rules or timing data.
I'd say we have no more than 10 active trolls on the forum. The ones I'm thinking of, have all either been around long enough or have enough post under their belts to know whats acceptable behavior and whats not.

I have a personal distaste for the ones who think its cute to skirt around the forum rules with heavy amounts of passive aggressive sarcasm. where I'm from and how I was raised It's ok with someone you know well, but to act that way with a complete stranger is a good to end up in a physical altercation.
I do agree that people consistently posting such things can be considered as "trolls".

However, an issue I increasingly see with this is that person X has an opinion, a valid opinion and person X is certain this is factually true, and has valid arguments to back this up. Person Y on the other hand does not share this opinion, but has equally valid arguments for having this different opinion. After a discussion of a few posts they still do not share the same opinion, even though they are equally well argumented, and person X will consider person Y to be a troll, because person X will consider his opinion absurd as person X is convinced of his opinion and is convinced that he has proven his views to be factually correct.

On forums there is a fine line between factually proven and thinking it is factually proven. People clashing over something is inevitable, and that is why there are moderators. I don't think giving people tools to label someone based on what they themselves believe to be true is very healthy for a forum and it's discussions.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Greg Locock

It seems odd to me that the voting on a board that thinks it is /Technical/ is so much dominated by the fanboi threads. Would you like examples?

McL-H

This thread shows how toxic the community is. I have started to only read comments on F1T (which I enjoy), but stopped thinking about posting any opinion or question I might have, as you get attacked as soon you say something 'stupid' or give an opinion people don't agree with. And moderators are part of the club sustaining this behaviour.

A system like this, will only result in the ppl with long toes, dominating the forum. As a McLaren fan, you already can't go to the team thread to give a critical opinion, as fanboys will disagree and 'ignore' you because of trolling. I like to stress that yes, this is a technical forum, but since 90% of the car is under the hood, most of the comments are highly speculative (with factual information coming from a few members). But I've seen it many times, that once anyone dares to speculate negatively (by someones opinion) the person gets downvoted and called for speculating. Once speculation sheds a more positive light, he gets pluses. He gets a discussion underway.

This is why the forum is a highly toxic community imo, because you can have nice discussions with everyone, unless you have a different opinion.

Greg Locock

I can assure you that on the scale of toxicity this board rates about 'bee sting' compared with many others which are well past arsenic and up near plutonium. Admittedly i don't go in for the ping pong opinion threads, here or anywhere else, so i don't get the full dose.

RZS10

This forum is really civil compared to many others.

@McL-H: I don't think people will see you as a 'troll' if you disagree on certain points.

They will however if you constantly bring up some points you can't back up or if you post the exact same driver/team bashing on several threads hoping to get a rise out of others.

As Steven said, there's only a few people that are ignored by 5-10 so most are willing to engage even the most annoying users.

(this is obv. not directed at you personally)

SectorOne

It really does feel like two different forums, General Chat vs almost every category below it.

Maybe try and introduce the voting system for race threads. But with downvotes only.
Perhaps that´s why there´s so much crap there, it´s like a safe zone.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

dans79

SectorOne wrote:
08 May 2017, 21:16
It really does feel like two different forums, General Chat vs almost every category below it.

Maybe try and introduce the voting system for race threads. But with downvotes only.
Perhaps that´s why there´s so much crap there, it´s like a safe zone.
I agree with this. So many of the troublesome members have like 90% or more of their posts in the race threads. I'd add most of the time they are doing nothing but trolling other members with passive aggressive and sarcastic remarks. You can see it already on the Spain thread and it's only the beginning of the week. I should add I reported it, and it was closed with no action taken.
197 104 103 7

coaster

I enjoy 3d cad, machining metals, reading about design. Just like at school, the subjects i enjoy, dislike and then the human matter of classroom alpha trumpeting the popular opinion and shaming, humilating anyone opposed to them.

This forum kills me every time.

Sevach

It doesn't help when it seems that some guy who seemigly got banned can pop back up by making a new account with just a space between the letters of his name.

Ignored should be improved, how can i ignore someone when he quotes me and it appears on my notifications.

subcritical71

Sevach wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 07:44
It doesn't help when it seems that some guy who seemigly got banned can pop back up by making a new account with just a space between the letters of his name.

Ignored should be improved, how can i ignore someone when he quotes me and it appears on my notifications.
We need a reciprocal ignore... an option to not let certain users see our own posts, this way they do not get replied to by that person. I know this is impossible to implement (not from a programming standpoint though). It would be nice as sevach mentions to be able to totally ignore a particular user.