2017 Renault Sport F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2017 Renault Sport F1 Team - Renault

So clearly it wasn't a great weekend for Renault but I think there were times when Hulkenberg put in some great laps - just couldn't make it count at the right moment in quali and didn't have much chance during the race.

We now know that Renault teams are running last year's ERS, so that can't be helping, but I think sooner or later (most likely not before Spain) they could emerge as 4th best team. There's some promise in the package, I think (although suspect mostly will come from Hulk's side of the garage).

Enstone
Enstone

Pretty agree with f1316.

Hulk was stuck behind Alonso during almost all the race, it was impossible to overtake him (same story for Ocon/FI).

Lack of luck clearly, i don't know what was the problem during quali but Hulk had set a better time during Q1 than Q2, and then was eliminated.
Melbourne is a not typical, it's an urban circuit so let's wait until the Shangai's GP to have a better idea of the package and the drivers also (lack of luck for Palmer also even is he was guilty to crash during FP2).

But there's some weak points in the team such as pitstop time and even race strategy : Ocon was behind Hulk during the first stint of both cars, but FI was able to do an undercut to overtake Hulk, cause they know he was stuck behind Alonso and that i can't pass him.
Renault should have been able to do it, but they don't.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Intersting read about F1 technology. It's more general than Renault but examples are about Renault.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/cars/2017/04/ ... echnology/

Vladimir
Vladimir

Renault Formula One Team confirm british driver Oliver Rowland as development driver.
Nice news, I hope that we will soon look at new british driver in R.S.17.

ME4ME

So, how long until Renault's patience with Palmer runs out? He is performing terribly.

stefan_
stefan_

They need to ditch Palmer. OK, last year's car was a donkey between a Merc and a Renault, but this year there aren't excuses. He was in the team last year, had the opportunity to have his input on this year's car and make sure it suits his driving style (whatever that would be), but he is missing something. Good thing that he knows how to complain and blame the team and the car for him being 1.2s off his teammate in yesterday's qualifying session.

On the other side of the garage, Nico jumped into a new team, new car, new engine and is mighty fast in quali. If they manage to unlock some race pace he will be a constant point scorer. No doubt about it.

Too bad they didn't manage to keep Kevin.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Palmer is just a complete embarrasment, for himself, but for the team too. He has managed to bin so many parts and cars it's just staggering, and he's not bringing any money and results to compensate at all, and then also is just complaining and complaining whilst having the charisma of a haystack. atleast Hulkenberg shows what the Renault is acutally capable of. Please ditch this useless seat-occupier and replace him with someone valuable. Put Sainz in there or Gasly, whoever
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Raleigh
Raleigh

I have no idea what Renault sees in this guy to give him a drive for 2 years. GP2 champion sure, but it took him 4 years in the series to win the title and even that only happened when he moved to the dominant DAMS team. 10 years in lower formula and just that one title to show for it...

stefan_
stefan_

Manoah2u wrote:
01 May 2017, 00:24
...and then also is just complaining and complaining whilst having the charisma of a haystack....
Oh my, I can't get over this part without laughing in tears :))))

"charisma of a haystack" :)))

Sorry, move on.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

everythingisawesome
everythingisawesome

stefan_ wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 09:05
They need to ditch Palmer. OK, last year's car was a donkey between a Merc and a Renault, but this year there aren't excuses. He was in the team last year, had the opportunity to have his input on this year's car and make sure it suits his driving style (whatever that would be), but he is missing something. Good thing that he knows how to complain and blame the team and the car for him being 1.2s off his teammate in yesterday's qualifying session.

On the other side of the garage, Nico jumped into a new team, new car, new engine and is mighty fast in quali. If they manage to unlock some race pace he will be a constant point scorer. No doubt about it.

Too bad they didn't manage to keep Kevin.
Not sure about Kevin, the gap between Palmer and Kev should have been much larger last year, given what we're seeing now.

marmer
marmer

They might just wait for Alonso instead of replacing mid season

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Vasconia

Manoah2u wrote:
01 May 2017, 00:24
Palmer is just a complete embarrasment, for himself, but for the team too. He has managed to bin so many parts and cars it's just staggering, and he's not bringing any money and results to compensate at all, and then also is just complaining and complaining whilst having the charisma of a haystack. atleast Hulkenberg shows what the Renault is acutally capable of. Please ditch this useless seat-occupier and replace him with someone valuable. Put Sainz in there or Gasly, whoever
I hope they bring Sainz. Palmer´s painfully bad performance is hampering Renault´s in-season development. Two drivers pushing the car to the limit will show better how they need to develop.

Nico is doing a great job, though.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

marmer wrote:
02 May 2017, 11:18
They might just wait for Alonso instead of replacing mid season

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
It would be an interesting combination, that's for sure. But then there are some issues to keep in mind;
Renault claimed they don't feel like they're able to have a 2018 WDC capable car, so that wouldn't please Alonso still.
Then there's offcourse the 'Crashgate' aftermath; it wasn't as extreme as the Spygate issue, but would there be zero hard feelings left for Alonso? I know it's long ago, but would it be a reason Renault NOT to concider Alonso out of 'pride'?
Then again, he got 2 titles with them anyway. I also feel the risk would be too high.

I think Bottas is doing a good enough job to earn a contract for next year. Why replace him with a potential less motivated - though arguably more talented - driver that could bring trouble in paradise? Least Hamilton will be moving to Ferrari next year, something i'd not be surprised of at all, and that could move Alonso to replace Hamilton.

As for Renault; Perez would be a great choice too, though it seems he prefers Ferrari - and possibly Mercedes. At this moment, he's in a good position with Force India either way. As for next year, well, he did hold his ground against Hulk, if i'm right actually beating him 'consistantly', and they were great teammates, so it wouldn't be a bad thing for Renault.

He'd be 'a safer bet' than Sainz, Kvyat, Ocon, Wehrlein, etc etc.

At the other end, Sainz has proven he's definately a strong contender, and matured enough to get into such a 'big' team - other option for him surely would be Williams, though it remains to be seen if that's wiser than going for Renault, which i don't think it is.

Either way, Palmer is such an embarrassment that i can't find any ground to keep him anymore. If next race is equally dramatic, then i think Renault MUST absolutely MUST replace him, and there's plenty to choose from. If your contracted driver bins a car every session/day, then surely a rookie atleast has the potential to outgrow that and become a stable factor.

I do wonder; Kvyat out of ToroRosso (RB) and into Renault, and Gasly into Toro Rosso? THIS year?

Let's be honest, Kvyat is bloody fast and was doing outstanding before his unfortunate Russian GP 2016.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

baybars
baybars

I think Romain may return to Renault

f1316
f1316

They would probably replace Palmer with Sirotkin if they do it mid-season - although to me that's also pretty boring and I wouldn't expect him to be close to Nico's pace.

But I think Alonso for next year is plausible. I suspect Renault will end the season as clear 4th fastest and if their pace remains close to RB it speaks of good potential. Fernando probably will have a straight choice between Mclaren and Renault, so it will likely depend on whether Mclaren make progress and /or he enjoys Indy and thinks they'll give him other options of this type going forward (e.g. le mans).