2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diego.liv

Re: 2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Could have been smart to plan 5 PUs, hope that reliability/casualty force you to change an entire PU in just one GP and exploit the advantage of squeezing some more performance out of the PUs (although I don't believe that 5 PUs instead of 4 allow you the expected 20-25% increase in performance)

adrianjordan

Well done to Bottas for his maiden win, it was only a matter of time.

He's now said that he's not the number 2 driver that people were saying he is...what do people think? Personally he strikes me as a Barrichello type, fast and consistent, but not quite at the same level as the Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, Schumachers of this world...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

digitalrurouni

adrianjordan wrote:
01 May 2017, 04:51
Well done to Bottas for his maiden win, it was only a matter of time.

He's now said that he's not the number 2 driver that people were saying he is...what do people think? Personally he strikes me as a Barrichello type, fast and consistent, but not quite at the same level as the Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, Schumachers of this world...
I have to disagree with you. I think Bottas has that determination that will place him above Barrichello. But yeah that remains to be seen to get my theory proved right but the rest of this year will tell. I am a huge Hamilton and Vettel fan and this year has been amazing. We have 4 races and 3 winners which is great!!

torpor

They just thrown an old tradition overboard. The numbers wheren't red because they are matching with the union jack. They where red because all race numbers on Mercedes formula 1 cars where red.
It's a pity that Bottas' is now blue.

Image[/img]

And I'm also afraid of how it will look next year without a fin.

Gilles27Kimi7

torpor wrote:
10 May 2017, 11:16
They just thrown an old tradition overboard. The numbers wheren't red because they are matching with the union jack. They where red because all race numbers on Mercedes formula 1 cars where red.
It's a pity that Bottas' is now blue.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HdspvPpx72s/U ... z_Benz.jpg [/img]

And I'm also afraid of how it will look next year without a fin.
At least the fin served a purpose.
But why did they drop the white circle around the number (they used it until the W04)
It made the number more recognizable

ME4ME

So what's the conclusion on Bottas so far?

His win in Russia was immensly populair, but Barcelona was the 2nd or arguable 3rd race that he was off the pace so far in 2017. I'm not too impressed tbh.

SparkyAMG

ME4ME wrote:
15 May 2017, 17:01
So what's the conclusion on Bottas so far?

His win in Russia was immensly populair, but Barcelona was the 2nd or arguable 3rd race that he was off the pace so far in 2017. I'm not too impressed tbh.
Barcelona shouldn't be used for/against Bottas in my opinion. I read that his car may have had a bit of damage following the collision with Kimi, and his strategy and pace was compromised later on in order to slow Vettel.

He looked unbeatable in Russia and we may see glimpses of that again later this year, but he's yet to show the same consistency of some of the other top drivers. It's still early days though so I'm not passing judgement yet. At the very least I like the way he handles himself both on and off track and will be easy for Mercedes to manage. I think he'll get a contract extension based on that if nothing else.

adrianjordan

I personally think that he's in the same mould as Webber, Barrichello and Button, amongst others. Unbeatable on his day with everything going how he wants, but struggles to produce that pace on a consistent basis or when there's something not quite right with his car.

Could he be a WDC? Yes he absolutely could if he gets a really good run of form (see Button 2009 or Webber 2010), but it will be a very big ask while he's partnered with Hamilton!! All just my opinion of course, yours may vary...

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Webber2011

So Lewis has said he doesn't carry a drink bottle anymore to save weight.

That the funniest thing I've heard in years !

What a load of horseshit !

If he was that concerned about the weight of the car, then why wouldn't he lose 500gm himself, and have half a litre to drink and keep hydrated during the race ?

adrianjordan

I know. How long before he makes a mistake during a hot race due to not having a drink... Quite worrying actually... Ask any endurance athlete and they will tell you the importance of staying hydrated...

ME4ME

Webber2011 wrote:
16 May 2017, 11:58

If he was that concerned about the weight of the car, then why wouldn't he lose 500gm himself, and have half a litre to drink and keep hydrated during the race ?
I totally disagree with what you said here, I think it makes perfect sense. Hydration can be managed through preperation pre-race. Hamilton will likely already be very close to the lower limit of his weight without risking his health.

Let's go back to a quote from Rosberg this winter:
"I stopped cycling in the summer to lose one kilo," Rosberg told the Daily Mail. "The next race I was on pole in Suzuka by one hundredth of a second. One kilo is worth three hundredths per lap. So I was on pole thanks to losing my leg muscles. It got me the win. Those were the small details I went into."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1 ... es-9792209

It just goes to show how crucial it is to have a car-driver package that is at minimum weight and well balanced, when competition is that close.

WaikeCU

ME4ME wrote:
16 May 2017, 12:19
Webber2011 wrote:
16 May 2017, 11:58

I totally disagree with what you said here, I think it makes perfect sense. Hydration can be managed through preperation pre-race. Hamilton will likely already be very close to the lower limit of his weight without risking his health.

Let's go back to a quote from Rosberg this winter:
"I stopped cycling in the summer to lose one kilo," Rosberg told the Daily Mail. "The next race I was on pole in Suzuka by one hundredth of a second. One kilo is worth three hundredths per lap. So I was on pole thanks to losing my leg muscles. It got me the win. Those were the small details I went into."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1 ... es-9792209

It just goes to show how crucial it is to have a car-driver package that is at minimum weight and well balanced, when competition is that close.
If 1kg is worth 0.3s a lap and if the Merc really is 6kg overweight? Then that means it's actually running around 1.8s off pace? :wtf:

ME4ME

WaikeCU wrote:
16 May 2017, 12:28
If 1kg is worth 0.3s a lap and if the Merc really is 6kg overweight? Then that means it's actually running around 1.8s off pace? :wtf:
Normally 10kg -> 0.3 sec/lap.

WaikeCU

ME4ME wrote:
16 May 2017, 12:29
WaikeCU wrote:
16 May 2017, 12:28
Normally 10kg -> 0.3 sec/lap.
I am a math idiot #-o