2018-2020 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PlatinumZealot

2018-2020 Tyres Thread

Well founded or not, there have been complaints about the new Pirrelli tyres lasting too many race laps this year. There are different views on this. Still, some tracks could definitely use a tyre that is one step softer. Especially tracks where the step between ultra-soft and super soft is just not big enough to matter, and the soft is too slow compared to super soft so it's ignored. To inject some excitement into the mix, I propose that the tyre selection is shifted one step softer so the prime is the super soft, the option is the ultra soft and the qualifying tyre would be the HYPER-SOFT.

Let's see what designs you have in mind.

Visual and technical: colour, compound, construction, heat range, profile.. you name it! 8)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SR71

Re: Design the Hyper-Soft tyre!

I heard that Pirrelli had an alternative compound tire group waiting in the wings should the launch compounds had not worked out.

My guess is they are actually a harder series other than soft, but if they are soft we could actually see this happening.

All the tires 1-2 steps harder than current is almost unbelievable though. They really have no clue if that was their back up.

zac510

It's called the Super-fun-happy-SOFT! It doesn't need to be put into a tyre warmer. It is just constantly warm due to the addition during the construction process of tears collected from online forum Pirelli-haters.

DiogoBrand

I think they should actually have tyres ranging from Super Soft to Super Hard instead of Ultra Softs to Hards. Otherwise they'll soon run out of superlatives to call the softer compounds.

hollus

Color: yellow.
Shape: conical section.
Compound:
Rivals, not enemies.

CBeck113

Ludicris soft, and it's plaid
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

mertol

They don't need softer tires. They need tires with wider operating windows.

marmer

They need a different manufacture lets get a tyre war back

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

dans79

mertol wrote:
17 May 2017, 14:08
They don't need softer tires. They need tires with wider operating windows.
I agree, tires that can't even handle one qualifying lap with out giving up the thermal ghost are ridiculous!
197 104 103 7

ripper

I would just ditch the current hard tyre, move the current medium to hard (and every subsequent tyre) and introduce a new softer compound as the new ultra soft.

No need to make new color and name, it would just create confusion.

torpor

Please just design a tire that works so that we can stop discussing about tires for all times
Is Formula 1 an engine formula or an aerodynamics formula? No. It's a tire management formula since Pirelli is the tire supplier. Teams spend millions to design cars that pamper several sorts of impractical tires.
I'm so tired of it.

The_table

I'd argue that tyres are perfect this year...

godlameroso

Ultra, Super, and Soft should just be re-named soft, medium, and hard, just bring those 3 compounds to every track and if we have 3 stops or 4 stops or 1 stop so be it. Let teams pick their compounds for the weekend like we did last year and are starting to this year for Monaco. Leave the tires purple red and yellow as they're easily distinguishable, and leave the gap in compounds as it is. Their performance will be different race to race, on some tracks the soft will be good, on some the hard will be good. Leave the two compound rule, and take away 1 set of tires for the weekend.
Saishū kōnā

BanMeToo

torpor wrote:
17 May 2017, 17:58
Please just design a tire that works so that we can stop discussing about tires for all times
Is Formula 1 an engine formula or an aerodynamics formula? No. It's a tire management formula since Pirelli is the tire supplier. Teams spend millions to design cars that pamper several sorts of impractical tires.
I'm so tired of it.
But there has been way less pampering this year. In Spain we heard many 'drive faster' calls to the drivers.

torpor

BanMeToo wrote:
17 May 2017, 20:56
torpor wrote:
17 May 2017, 17:58
I'm so tired of it.
But there has been way less pampering this year. In Spain we heard many 'drive faster' calls to the drivers.
Yes it got better this year. But everybody's cheering on Wehrlein for pampering his tires so great...