Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WaikeCU

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

SR71 wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 22:44
With a decent understanding of F1 timelines one can deduce that he pulled out of LMP1 because he got the call to join Renault.
And seemingly Robert still does lack some mobility in his arm, street circuits such as Monaco where steering full lock is required... oh wait that race is already done. :mrgreen:

SR71

WaikeCU wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 22:54
SR71 wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 22:44
With a decent understanding of F1 timelines one can deduce that he pulled out of LMP1 because he got the call to join Renault.
And seemingly Robert still does lack some mobility in his arm, street circuits such as Monaco where steering full lock is required... oh wait that race is already done. :mrgreen:
I think we can put the "arm mobility" theory to rest (although I'm sure it will be brought up again and again, smh).
in a GP3 car at Franciacorta in Italy and a Formula E at Donington. What was significant about these earlier tests was they allowed him to assess whether the limited articulation of his injured right arm still prevented him from being able to steer within the confines of a single-seater’s cockpit. The Franciacorta circuit was chosen for the fact that it features two tight hairpins that require a lot of steering lock. Kubica was reportedly delighted to find that the arm no longer presented a problem, that it was now possible for it to function without being held out at an angle that had previously prevented it from fitting into such an enclosed space
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opini ... back-cards

superdowg316

It is being rumored that Robert can now rotate his arm without much hinderance enough to compete in single seaters again, from what Mark Hughs has written. Apparently he was faster that Sirotkin.

Also, just an FYI, once you have a super licence, it does not expire unless it is revoked for violations.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

marmer

Would be interesting to know if they needed to alter the tub for him or if he just fit

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

marmer

BosF1 wrote:If I were Palmer, I would start writing job applications. Why would Renault do this all of a sudden midseason, other than to test his physical capability? And while testing his capability he also conveniently met criteria for a super license, since 115 laps equates to 465 km.
I think the best Robert should aim for this season would be free practice sessions just to get his feet under table.
he has not done alot of racing since the accident and what he has done has been rally not racing against other people directly.
And nothing of the speed of current f1 the car he tested was a slow lotus painted to be a Renault

Sonador

marmer wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 09:20
BosF1 wrote:If I were Palmer, I would start writing job applications. Why would Renault do this all of a sudden midseason, other than to test his physical capability? And while testing his capability he also conveniently met criteria for a super license, since 115 laps equates to 465 km.
I think the best Robert should aim for this season would be free practice sessions just to get his feet under table.
he has not done alot of racing since the accident and what he has done has been rally not racing against other people directly.
And nothing of the speed of current f1 the car he tested was a slow lotus painted to be a Renault

The 2012 Lotus wasn't a slow f1 car, ask Räikkönnen or Grosjean ....

DVB

Looks good from Kubica. I wonder if his arm has enough strength to keep the car stable during a high G force turn. Especially in the new cars where it's fysical a lot harder.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

Manoah2u

Sonador wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 09:31
marmer wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 09:20

The 2012 Lotus wasn't a slow f1 car, ask Räikkönnen or Grosjean ....
True, but it's not a 2017+ F1 car. It's mentioned this year's cars are vastly harder to drive. I think what is going on now is good and smart, and vastly interesting.

They should just give him the opportunity to do some more testing in more recent F1 cars if possible, to get miles under his belt. Let him do some serious simulator work and then do some open-wheel-single-seater competition races. And i'm not talking about several years here, i'm talking several weeks. then give him a field day testing this year's Renault. Whether on a friday or in a 'filming session' doesn't really matter. Just let him do simulator work and then hand him a 2017 spec F1 car to see how he copes. Give him a friday practice (imagine the excitement and attention in the paddock, that would be like nothing else before) and let him do a full race distance. Compare it to Hulkenberg (interestingly enough i think Hulkenberg and Kubica are somewhat comparable though Kubica does have more talent in the past, he was a definate WDC contender even in less than perfect machinery, whereas i can't say that of Hulkenberg - but we must see if he's still capable after the accident and 6 years further in time).

If his times are comparable to Hulkenberg, and he will squash Palmer (i think he can do that blind, actually), he will be in that seat in no-time. this year even hopefully, but i don't think so.
Renault was doing great with his presence and capability. Would be amazing to see him return exactly there and go on a high. I would also be very interested to see how he would fare in the Mercedes or the Ferrari if he's able to compete in the tests.

However you put it, he will have a physical handicap towards the rest of the field, so that will inevitably make some things more difficult and probably will cost him.
On the other hand, he has such loads of talent that one might wonder if it compensates enough - i think it just might.

in the end though, i don't think he will have lost any talent since the accident, the only issue will be mentally, as i do think that physically, and we're talking about arm restraint, is probably not that hard to overcome ;
Fitness won't be a problem. He'll train like a beast and be fit enough. Talent he had and surely still has enough to belong in F1, and not just as field filling.
If his right hand still is proving 'difficult', the thing is, to which degree. If he is as mentioned able to use it so good in F3, then i think the biggest obstacles are gone; and would only leave the team to need to adjust some control settings to cope with the right hand -

let's assume for example his right hand is less powerful and strong to steer with. Not really a big problem, as you can see onboard that plenty of drivers steer with 1 hand whilst doing other stuff on the steering wheel. The biggest question, is he able to control steering enough with the right hand whilst going in opposite direction from where you normally only need the left hand to steer with? If that's the case, or if he can atleast go far with the left hand, then i'm sure it's rather a design excersize to place all the more sensitively operated buttons for the left hand, and leave the less 'refined' buttons for the right hand. perhaps even put some on the cockpit wall inside on the right hand side with some 'up down' switches if you may.

I would really like to see Kubica return to F1. that is legendary stuff, and would get into the history books.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Phil

I think it's too big of a coincidence that the one driver who is most worried about his seat (Palmer), is also the team that is giving Kubica the opportunity to test a F1 car.

If they give Palmer the boot throughout the season, they'd have Kubica as the perfect candidate to see out the season and test him for his fitness and ability vs. Hulkenberg. It might not work out, but could it be worse than keeping Palmer in the car?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Andres125sx

No it couldn´t Phil :twisted:

Very good news, now I guess he´ll drive some friday to see how does he perform with a 2017 car. I really hope he do it great... again

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 10:57
No it couldn´t Phil :twisted:

Very good news, now I guess he´ll drive some friday to see how does he perform with a 2017 car. I really hope he do it great... again
+1 Andres. I hope it happens, he was a gifted driver and a nice guy. Yesterdad he did an impressive amount of laps and his times seemed to be reasonably good. He just needs to run with the current cars during a few FPs in order to see if he still "has it".

marmer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40187018

he feels he has lost something

hope its not speed if it is i don't want him to come back and ruin the history by being average

FW17

marmer wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 15:06

hope its not speed if it is i don't want him to come back and ruin the history by being average
Greatest article ever, its content is half a sentence from the driver. I cant believe someone gets paid for that.

marmer

FW17 wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 15:17
marmer wrote:

Greatest article ever, its content is half a sentence from the driver. I cant believe someone gets paid for that.
i know what you mean

i am surprised they still give so much to f1 now without tv its 2nd to football on my bbc sport despite all the coverage they give athletics and others

marmer

marmer wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 15:39
FW17 wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 15:17
marmer wrote:

i know what you mean

i am surprised they still give so much to f1 now without tv its 2nd to football on my bbc sport despite all the coverage they give athletics and others
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... -have-lost

much better version