Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
langwadt

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

I can imagine it being possible to drive with one hand, but does his bad hand have enough dexterity to turn knobs on the steering wheel?

Greg_OR

langwadt wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 23:33
I can imagine it being possible to drive with one hand, but does his bad hand have enough dexterity to turn knobs on the steering wheel?
There were rumors about another surgery, anyway, IMHO his disability was responsible for some of WRC crashes, but when he appeared on SPA, last year, in Renault RS 01, there was fans posts about shaking hands with Robert, and his hand was quite ok. Next is cycling: he rides a lot - also on twisty mountain roads - can't imagine doing this with one hand on a regular bike.
And finally: RK would not attend this kind of serious test if he wasn't 100% ready for real racing, it was full GP simulation not just driving around.
ESPImperium wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 22:59
someone who has recent GP experience and can compare to data Renault have on drivers
I believe they have enough data from past seasons (with Kimi in this chassis), or maybe next test will be on GP circuit.

Vasconia

That was a nice reading. It is admirable how hard he has worked and very encouraging to see that it could be a real chance to see him back in F1.

kptaylor

I wish they'd publish the times. Many rumors he did better than Sergey but I guess we'll never know for sure...

Greg_OR

kptaylor wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 17:24
I wish they'd publish the times. Many rumors he did better than Sergey but I guess we'll never know for sure...
until first FP, we won't, and if this not happen we'll have to wait for a biography ;)
The team have all data to make decisions, as he did a lot in simulator and now in real to compare.

zonk

vantage87

Robert Kubica gets the Formula 1 feeling in Valencia - test with Renault (2017)
Robert Kubica has returned to a Formula 1 cockpit for the first time in over six years to conduct a private test with Renault Sport Formula One Team at the Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo.

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IkamVBuXf8[/youtube]

Last edited by vantage87 on 10 Jun 2017, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

zonk

vantage87

Robert Kubica was a guest at Sky Sports F1 Italia and gave some excellent and incredibly positive comments about his test. Kubica declares that he is ready to ride F1 and confirms that the test has been very good. So well that people from Renault asked him if he had any secret tests recently.

I'm feeling F1 driver, I said no to many deals, always the most important was F1, the rallies made him develop, I will not say that I'm a better driver now, but certainly different, "Kubica said.

"They asked me how I feel after the test, and I was very surprised at how my body reacted, I had the same problems as after the winter break." I made over 30 laps in a long stint so it was beautiful. "

Robert also told us about the test: "I have a character that I can not ask and I would never offer a test." Fortunately, there are people in Renault who have met and loved me, and thanks to these memories of successful cooperation, there was a test. Once upon a first trip I had the impression that I had recently traveled. I drove so that they asked me during the course, or did some other secret tests. "

"I'm glad that there is such interest in my person, perhaps more because of what happened in recent years, but given the dedication, I told myself I want to try Formula 1. It was a wonderful thing, a huge milestone.I do not intend to give up at such a moment with such good mental and physical sensations. I want to go to the whole. I do not know what will happen in the coming months, but we will see the person who worked with me during the test said "you are a Formula 1 driver".

Kubica also said that the Renault approach was a huge surprise for him, and the problem of the right hand could be solved by moving the lever to the left.

Asked if he will appear in the F1 paddock, he said traditionally: "Only in the helmet."
Last edited by vantage87 on 10 Jun 2017, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

zonk

Delete..
Last edited by zonk on 10 Jun 2017, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

vantage87

News about Kubica from Mark Hughes (https://disqus.com/by/disqus_nS498NfwOz/)
Have spoken with the team here in Montreal. It began as a nice idea from the team to help their former driver complete the circle. It was arranged months ago. The GP3 and Formula E tests were part of the preparation for the test, he trained massively hard to get fit for several months and worked a lot in the Enstone simulator (in which he was very fast). His outstanding performance in the actual test means that it has created a question which wasn't there before - about whether he does something further, with them. There is not a concrete plan yet to do so. But the next questions are obviously whether he would be ok through high speed corners for a race distance of, say, Silverstone or Suzuka, whether he could get enough steering lock on for the hairpin at Monaco. but these are questions that his performance has made suddenly of possible relevance. His performance in Valencia was quite amazing and described as absolutely consistent with the driver who last raced there in 2010. If anything happens, it's not imminent. Both sides need now to consider what they'd like to do next.

zonk

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Uc1ABkzuvbE[/youtube]

Artur Craft

marmer wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 09:20
And nothing of the speed of current f1 the car he tested was a slow lotus painted to be a Renault
The speeds of the Renault(Lotus), through Campsa, on 2012 QLF(Kimi's lap) and on 2017 QLF(Hulk's lap) was not far off from each other.

These whole week's news are so exciting. I think Kubica is a massive talent and everything I read about it seems to indicate that his return will happen as he apparently remains very quick and now is definetely able to drive a single-seater again. Hope it doesn't take too long before we see him back. Please, no later than on the start of the next season [-o<