2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
max_speed
max_speed

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

if anyone is still expecting any miracle from Honda then its not gonna happen. 3 years have gone and "Mclaren Honda" is still languishing in the back.
This engine "concept" is failed one. it does not matter how hard "@wazari" or some other insiders keep fueling "hope" with a new upcoming update every time.
i myself have fallen into that "optimist" trap quite often but after yesterday's race all my "optimism" is gone.
This engine is "too weak in all areas" that can not be fixed in span of few months.
i am damn sure "Honda" severely underestimated the task in hand and have employed a bunch of incapable "egocentric" engineers , who just keep "blaming" Mclaren at odd "occasions" and still basking in the glory earned by their "ancestors".

torpor
torpor

ZakB wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 03:28
Big Mangalhit wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 16:49
marmer wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 16:23

This is banned by the FIA is it not. But surely the top engineering teams would see any significant built in inefficient modes to limit them and either complain or write there own code. Mercedes might say it's against there license to use in signed code but in practice that would mean unlocking the engine properly so they wouldn't

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
No McLaren engineer will ever get to see Mercedes code. Also they can send different codes. Heck nowadays they can even have the upgrade version of an engine ready just a few GP's later.

I really don't think Findia and williams can extract the same of merc PU as Merc can. The two main reasons for that are probably the agressive code maps and the integration with the rest of the car.
I bet they can't even go with a low cooling setup as aggressive as mercedes cause mercedes wouldn't want to risk the publicity of their PU's blowing.

If you think about it there are always more problems with factory Merc PU than with the clients. I would say it's because they ran more aggressive modes and cooling
Sorry, but Williams and Force India are both small teams compared to McLaren. They don't have the same resources and with the same engine McLaren should be miles ahead of them. I'm not saying they will beat Mercedes, but they will certainly be closer than those two.
Last time we've seen Williams and McLaren fighting against each other with the same Mercedes engine McLaren was far behind.

etusch

Vasconia wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 09:10
etusch wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 01:37
Renault is not top top team now but I think they will. Their engine is very good that Ricci could save his position against FI cars.
Its clearly better and I am sure that the expected update will give them much more power. I can´t say the same with Honda though I would like to see it.

This PU is pure sh*t, even with much less power they can finisht most of the races. No additional discussion or explanations are needed, there are no excuses to justify this. They are lost, and this is the wors thing above all.
I like Renault. But Renault also will not be able to bring planned update which assumed to come with 0.3 speed gaining They will introduce a small update they assumed 0.1 gaining
I prefer to belief hasegawa than zak. Maybe Honda will not be able to bring much power as much as they had planned but I don't think they have lost. It's just a matter of time and last years show us that.

j.yank
j.yank

etusch wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 10:02
Vasconia wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 09:10
etusch wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 01:37
Renault is not top top team now but I think they will. Their engine is very good that Ricci could save his position against FI cars.
Its clearly better and I am sure that the expected update will give them much more power. I can´t say the same with Honda though I would like to see it.

This PU is pure sh*t, even with much less power they can finisht most of the races. No additional discussion or explanations are needed, there are no excuses to justify this. They are lost, and this is the wors thing above all.
I like Renault. But Renault also will not be able to bring planned update which assumed to come with 0.3 speed gaining They will introduce a small update they assumed 0.1 gaining
I prefer to belief hasegawa than zak. Maybe Honda will not be able to bring much power as much as they had planned but I don't think they have lost. It's just a matter of time and last years show us that.
I think we see something like the behavior of street dogs in a pack - when they smell blood they are becoming very aggressive staying together. This is enough to throw a piece of meet and they will become very happy again. I am sure that most of the people will forget what they are saying now just in couple of months.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Well, after the Canada GP, i think there's no way around it anymore.

Mclaren - Honda partnership #DEAD

After SPA:

Mclaren - Mercedes OR Mclaren - Renault,

OR, something unlikely but interesting for Ferrari to put someone between Scuderia Ferrari and Mercedes, Force India and RedBull;

Mclaren - Ferrari. that would be cute. season remainder exclusively i'd say so they can do something for next year, but then, if that won't be Honda (which i think is irrepairably damaged anyway by now), then why bother now.

Renault seems least likely due to

A) they're not in such fantastic shape anyway (look at RedBull)
B) RedBull will piss napalm
C) Renault surely will want their works team up in the front next year, no need for Mclaren to spoil that.

Mercedes seems most likely due to:

A) they had a perfect past
B) they can pitch Mclaren in to annoy Ferrari and RedBull
C) if the rumours of Mercedes stepping out again as a works team, then they could sell Mercedes team and return to Mclaren as a prime provider - essentially works team.
D) it's the only logical choice for a 1 year or 1 1/2 year fix.

BMW or Audi surely won't jump in next year or in 2019, especially seeing Honda's mess. So something MUST change in regulations, OR Honda MUST do magic and deliver.
Oddly enough, they're not that far off somehow. I mean they were running betwen P5 and P10 more or less, DESPITE a non-upgraded engine.

But really, all hopes and moreale must be 6 feet under now.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Thunder

Manoah2u wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 12:36

That is a given in any Outcome other than McLaren staying with Honda. Oh how they lobbied for that Merc Engine just to be denied by Toto quickly signing that Manor deal, and now Mclaren comes around the Corner and just grabs it? Horner and Marko will be slightly 'not amused'.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

kaepernickus

Manoah2u wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 12:36
Well, after the Canada GP, i think there's no way around it anymore.

Mclaren - Honda partnership #DEAD...
I don't think the Canada GP with the old PU spec is/was a decisive race.
McLaren will most definitely wait for the new spec PU before deciding anything.

Thunder

Depends on when the big Update will show up. Zak's Deadline ends by Monza, Fernando's somewhen in the Summer break.
#aerogollum

marmer
marmer

Manoah2u wrote:Well, after the Canada GP, i think there's no way around it anymore.

Mclaren - Honda partnership #DEAD

After SPA:

Mclaren - Mercedes OR Mclaren - Renault,

OR, something unlikely but interesting for Ferrari to put someone between Scuderia Ferrari and Mercedes, Force India and RedBull;

Mclaren - Ferrari. that would be cute. season remainder exclusively i'd say so they can do something for next year, but then, if that won't be Honda (which i think is irrepairably damaged anyway by now), then why bother now.

Renault seems least likely due to

A) they're not in such fantastic shape anyway (look at RedBull)
C) Renault surely will want their works team up in the front next year, no need for Mclaren to spoil that.

Mercedes seems most likely due to:

A) they had a perfect past
B) they can pitch Mclaren in to annoy Ferrari and RedBull
C) if the rumours of Mercedes stepping out again as a works team, then they could sell Mercedes team and return to Mclaren as a prime provider - essentially works team.
D) it's the only logical choice for a 1 year or 1 1/2 year fix.

BMW or Audi surely won't jump in next year or in 2019, especially seeing Honda's mess. So something MUST change in regulations, OR Honda MUST do magic and deliver.
Oddly enough, they're not that far off somehow. I mean they were running betwen P5 and P10 more or less, DESPITE a non-upgraded engine.

But really, all hopes and moreale must be 6 feet under now.
Just on the BMW or Audi links. They are big enough to have a fairly good computer model designed of the current regs most likely they would just need to build it and hope they haven't made any major errors and they would be at the same level as honda. The issue would be cost for them to produce an engine which they have said they don't particularly like as it's expensive and for 1-2 years and then the regs change. We won't see another engine until the regs change. It's too late to jump in even if you think your engine is good

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Vasconia

If I am not wrong teams have already confirmed their PU supplier for 2018. So theoretically they can´t change it. Is it right?

Thunder

No that was just the Date when the FIA could Force a PU manufacturer to supply a Team that is currently without a PU. If a Team looks for an Engine by itself and signs a contract they can change their PU supplier anytime they want.
#aerogollum

Squid
Squid

GoranF1 wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 15:43
Mclaren mechanic:
https://twitter.com/gsep123/status/874113436602568704
If this is the kind of relationship McLaren wants to keep with Honda, then they might as well split. Fail as Honda might, they are shouldering the blame and accepting responsibility. The least McLaren could do is not publicly humiliate them at every opportunity possible.

Vasconia

Thunders wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 15:53
No that was just the Date when the FIA could Force a PU manufacturer to supply a Team that is currently without a PU. If a Team looks for an Engine by itself and signs a contract they can change their PU supplier anytime they want.
Thanks Thunders, so the PU change could happen. :?

bauc

Vasconia wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 16:20
Thunders wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 15:53
Thanks Thunders, so the PU change could happen. :?
Yes it can, but I think that if it happens, it will not be mid-season with some kind of B-spec car as some speculations are circulating.

On the other hand, I know understand Alonso's ''ultimatum'' for Mclaren to win by September, it means get the Merc PU back in that car
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg