Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marmer

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

wrc has been uninspiring for many years. so i don't think many care about how he actually did.

won by Citroens since 2004 and the last 4 by a cheap version of a golf.

also if your not called Sebastien and french you won't win so no wonder he wants to come back to f1 and we were getting bored with Merc winning for a few years lol

BanMeToo

Fair point but WRC as a sport is pretty awesome.

ChrisDanger

http://kwese.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/196 ... ormula-one

"For sure it's kind of a new start for me," the 32-year-old told Sky Sports F1. "I don't know what it will bring, but definitely it's a nice feeling to know I can drive an F1 car after such a difficult period and having my limitations."

"To know I can drive the car on good pace and I can drive the car for an entire grand prix distance is something which makes me happy and proud," Kubica added. "Once I have done this test I would like to test more.

zonk

Google translate of interview in polish

http://sokolimokiem.com/permane-o-tesci ... ne-sprawy/

Renault sports director Alan Permane, who has worked for nearly three decades in various Enstone teams, has appeared in various incarnations - from Benetton through the previous incarnation of Renault and Lotus to the current incarnation of the French company's production team - in conversation with Eleven after the Grand Prix. Canada talked about Robert Kubica's test week at the Ricardo Tormo track near Valencia. Comment is not superfluous, I invite you to read.

An exceptional day for a Polish driver and his supporters last week in Valencia, a test drive in your car, with your team. Where did the idea come from?
It was my idea to just put Robert in the car.

That was your idea?
Something like that. It started out really nothing more than that: a day for him, a day away from us, a welcome back at Enstone. It is obvious that we have unfinished business among ourselves, broken so quickly and it is obviously a pity. He really started showing, of course he had already shown great potential, but then it was getting better and better. It's such a small collaboration to give him a day in the car.

It's a nice gift because you do not often give a driver a day in a Formula 1 car, right?
No, but it is safe to say that Robert is an exceptional driver. He was part of our Enstone family and greeted him back, organizing such a day was very nice.

Why did you keep it in such a secret?
To be honest, we did not want to create a lot of media confusion. We knew that when it came out, everyone would be interested. Everyone loves Robert, everyone feels sad after what has happened. We knew it was going to be and to be honest he came up quietly, he had no problem announcing it. I did not want to put a lot of pressure on him, and I just wanted it to be a day for him, without expectations, no pressure to just drive.

Of course you were there, in Valencia, of course Robert had the fun of the day, but you certainly liked it too. How did you do, you were surprised by what you saw in Valencia? One hundred and fifteen laps is enough.
Yes, he has done a lot of laps. I never doubted his pace, at all. I did not know and I think he either did not know whether he would be physically able to ride and most of all if he would be able to ride a lot. He drove different cars, drove simulators, drove GP3 earlier this year, in preparation for that day, but we did not really know what his limitations would be. Honestly, it went very well. He was fast, made long passes, short passes, qualification, race simulation. Everything went very well.

He later said he now knew he could work on a real return. After what you saw, do you think this is a sensible goal for him?
I think he knows better than me, but from what I've seen, the statistics, with data, then the speed is in place. It is certain. My only fear was,can he drive, because if he can, then I had no doubt that he is still fast - and is fast. I can only say that on that Tuesday in Valencia he did a fantastic job. There are many other tracks and only he knows if he has physical limitations on other objects. If all this goes on, then this will be another step.

But in Valencia there were no problems with the space in the cockpit, the steering wheel and things like that, did you have to modify something?
We made a very slight modification of the steering wheel in the shift range, we both put the blade on one side. For us it was nothing, a minor change in the software and it had no effect.

And the car itself is a five-year-old machine. Are modern cars different in a way that could hinder return?

No, I do not think the difference between Formula 1 and say Formula 2 or GP3 is that we have support. We can adjust the steering power, and in those cars, it does not work harder than that. Although that car is five years old, it's still a very fast machine. It was a good car for its time, and it is also much lighter than the present. Of course there are no hybrid systems and it has a V8 engine, but it is not slow.

You mentioned the unfinished business between Enstone and Robert. Do you think you try to finish these things, is it too early to comment?
I think it is too early to comment. We are still in touch, we even talked about the race today and everything we could do in the future. At the moment I can only say that nothing else was scheduled for this moment, but I would not say we will not do something again in the future.

Can you reveal more details about Robert's cooperation in previous months or years? How did it look like?
We have been talking about this test for several months. He appeared in Enstone
around the beginning of this season, then we were in contact, me and Robert, for the previous three or four months, talking about this day and focusing on the preparation.

Was he at the time in the Enstone simulator?
Not in Enstone. I know he rode in other simulators and maybe this is something we'll think about for the future. This may be another step, riding in the simulator.

vantage87

http://eurosport.onet.pl/formula-1/robe ... ych/4460lz

Robert Kubica: I'm in shock after these tests. I can drive a car and I have no restrictions

Robert Kubica will be racing again in Formula 1? This scenario seemd to be impossible until recently, but the interest in talking with Eleven was not hide enthusiasm. - I have never been in that form. I myself am shocked as I easily drove the car. I still have work to do, but surprisingly it is much less than I could have imagined. I am able to drive a Formula 1 car and I have no restrictions on it, "the Polish driver says, appealing not to" fire "on his speedy return.

Kubica has recently tested the Renault car during a test on the Valencia track. For the Pole it was the first contact with F1 since the unfortunate accident in one of the Italian rallies. Our competitor actually got a car from 2012, which is slightly different from this year's model, but the test results and so passed his expectations. Eleven broadly described his feelings.

Robert Kubica about ... feelings accompanying the return to the car

- I feel like a little kid, as if I started all over again. The emotions were big, the impressions from the tests in Valencia are still in me today. Last years were plentiful in various events, as far as sports excitement was concerned. Debut in the rallies was also emotional, to sing for sure were the emotions of the novel, not the science. Testing in the F1 car after six years was a concrete event. I thought that it would be harder for me in terms of emotions, but I was satisfied with the concentration I kept and the work done.

- It was one of the nicer moments. I mean, passing the first laps and feeling like there was no break. It was quite a big shock, because if it was not, after so many years I had many question marks. And here it turned out that everything I mastered very quickly, I felt very confident behind the wheel. Of course, the car was different from the one I had driven over years ago, but in Renault a lot of things were the same. Everything looked very familiar, I felt at home. I felt like this cockpit was sewn for me.

About surprisingly good form

- I've been physically preparing for these tests. I have never been in such a physical form, even in the golden days of Formula 1 racing. It turned out that it was not all that terrible and so far as it seemed. I can even say that the Formula 1 car was one of the easier vehicles I have ever driven since the accident.

- I received a lot of answers to my questions and they are positive answers. I'm doing my thing further. For example, I lost weight to the level of 2008, when I weighed very little. There is a form, there is dedication and there is a desire to continue to work.

The fact that he has much less work to do than he had expected

- There is work to do but it is less work than it seemed before testing. In the best scenario I could not imagine that the form would be so good. I learned what unlimited possibilities the human brain has. After three laps in Valencia I had the impression that my break in F1 did not last more than a month. This is one of the cooler feelings I've had in recent years.

About goals for the future

- Anyone who thinks they are on target will fall down quickly. I need to set myself sports goals and aim for them. The imagination and motivation of fans or motorsport people have been very stimulating after the tests. I am calmer, but I already know that I am able to drive a Formula 1 car and have no restrictions on it. I'm getting ready in full swing, and I'm going to do it step by step so that what I've built over the past months will continue.

- lap times are least important. I heard one simple sentence from a man who is very deep in Formula 1 and with whom I have been in contact for years: the most important is that you are running F1 again. On the other hand, there is nothing to burn and set. Time will tell what will happen. I know two years ago people gave me a minimum chance of getting back into the car. It turned out that I came back and - in my opinion - in a good way.

"I know I'm going to be prepared for the highest goals. Three months ago the goal was the same test. And a new target? It would be silly if I said I did not have one ...

Satisfaction with the words of colleagues "after the profession"

"It's very nice how people from the F1 world talk about me. Anyway, the proof of the nice memories is that these tests have taken place at all. One day spent in a Formula 1 car gave me a lot more than a long time in other series. I still hope to pick up a phone with a proposal from F1 for some time

zonk

Couldn't resist

WaikeCU

So if I understand:

Robert thought his F1 career was over after the accident, just like most of us did. He doubted himself to ever step in an F1 car again, stopped believing. But then did tests that triggered a lightbulb to others like personal trainer, engineers, Renault? So they started believing he could actually pull it off and started a program to prepare Robert for a test, a comback? All the while Robert still believed he would never perform again in F1? But then he took the gift Renault granted to him and then reality strikes after the test with that Lotus: He can still race an F1 car and be competitive?

Henne

WaikeCU wrote:
15 Jun 2017, 10:37
So if I understand:

Robert thought his F1 career was over after the accident, just like most of us did. He doubted himself to ever step in an F1 car again, stopped believing. But then did tests that triggered a lightbulb to others like personal trainer, engineers, Renault? So they started believing he could actually pull it off and started a program to prepare Robert for a test, a comback? All the while Robert still believed he would never perform again in F1? But then he took the gift Renault granted to him and then reality strikes after the test with that Lotus: He can still race an F1 car and be competitive?
Well...

That's one way to shorten his Post F1 Biography book. Won't be a sales hit since it's only one paragraph, but we can sell this... =D> :D

vantage87

Robert Kubica will fly again a F1 Renault at the Goodwood festival in Great Britain, in two weeks

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... &sandbox=1

Manoah2u

zonk wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 23:22
Couldn't resist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4EFddbHkRo&app=desktop
i'm not quick to 'raise' something with imho a better version than the original but in this case, i can't leave to do so:

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

mistrx

Don't know if it wasn't posted already, but really interesting read! :)

http://www.f1talks.pl/2017/06/15/kubica ... n-my-head/

Renault, get Robert in the car please! Palmer out.. Still can't believe Robert's comeback is actually possible. Robert driving in F1, that would be absolutely magnificent!

vantage87

Kubica: With my limitations driving in F1 is simpler than that in the WRC (Kubica also confirm back to the wheel at the Speed ​​Festival in Goodwood )

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 2C474.html

Henne

vantage87

Renault Sport Formula One Team: Robert Kubica Test in Valencia ( official ;new a little longer version)
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmxudI5OvzI[/youtube]