[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

I think we have more efficient aerodynamics (JJR and TF) but less engine power. It should be interesting to compare the telemetry, but it is difficult to find data about the physical cars.

LVDH

Ok guys, I have all parts together to get going again. However, a huge thing happened: My workstation blew up. I cannot compile the software on my laptop because something with the graphics will not work....
Tomorrow I will be out of office, so I cannot do much. I will relaunch the homepage with the new rules and parts this weekend. The software will probably take a few additional days until I get my workstation fixed. If someone has a rev3 mainboard for a HP Z800 laying around you would make me very happy.

Also as we had to send Matteo some information about his intro class car I want to make you all aware of the fact that the heat exchangers now only have to be 60mm thick. For now no rotation allowed.

rjsa

Any change on min/max sizes for the HX?

LVDH

No, but for the rotational aspect I am considering to only allow simple box shapes. But with all the issues that have been holding everything back I have not been able to work on this for a while, so it is not clear yet.

rjsa

I think the rectangular shape is fair enough, it's how it's done for real. Now about the measures, can we review them if rotation comes to play? The 450mm height limit will need at least 400mm width to meet minimum area. That's not leaving too much room for improvement taking advantage of rotation if we want to rotate it along Y. Can't we just define a maximum overall size and a maximum area and then a maximum aspect ratio?

720mm max length, 270,000mm2 maximum area, 2:1 maximum aspect ratio and rectangular shape for example?

CAEdevice

I would agree with your proposal

LVDH

Lets put it like this: I do not see why not. I will discuss it with the others.
As you can see I am up early. Yesterday I possibly fixed my workstation. I will go there now and see if I can finish up the software.
The new online CAD generator is done. I think esp. the intro class guys will like it.

CAEdevice

I was wondering if thinner (100mm >>> 60mm) heat exchangers will have a reduced internal resistance if the porous media properties will remain the same.

AratzH

If I remember correctly in OF the losses in a porous region are calculated per unit of length, so I would assume that a thinner core with the same porous coefficients as last year should have proportionally less pressure drop.
MVRC -> TF

CAEdevice

AratzH wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 22:02
If I remember correctly in OF the losses in a porous region are calculated per unit of length, so I would assume that a thinner core with the same porous coefficients as last year should have proportionally less pressure drop.
I think so, it works like this with many CFD tools, but I was not sure about OpenFoam.

LVDH

In the OF code you will somewhere find this:
\Delta p = -(D \mu U + 0.5 I \rho |U|^2 )L

where

p | pressure [Pa]
\rho | density [kg/m3]
\mu | laminar viscosity [Pa s]
D | Darcy coefficient
I | inertial coefficient
L | porous media length in the flow direction
So yes, you are right, I had to adjust the coefficients. I have done that and am happy with how everything works. My workstation is still broken though, so I do not know how to compile / package the software. Everything else is ready now. I am just waiting for Chris to read my last email and start the MVRC 2017 season. I will find a solution to my big issue and supply you with the software very soon. The calender I once posted will get delayed a bit to make sure you have enough time as soon as you get everything.

CAEdevice

Hi LDVH, your plans are about a new software or about an update of WFlow? WFlow was almost perfect last year, I would only suggest more sections for the post processing (or section plans customizable with a txt files) and a special folder (or subfolder or suffix in the stl name) to identify closed volumes and compute specific df and dr (about the same as what the software does woth flow and "monitoring surfaces").

About compiling on Windows: are considering the possibility to provide a VBox virtual machine woth everything pre installed? A shared folder with the host OS would make the stl (and post processing files) transfer from Win to Linux very simple (and we already use a vbox vm to run OF1606+).

LVDH

Hi,
the software contains many updates and as far as I can see no features have disappeared. The main new feature is the GUI. After HP Racing created the cool GUI for Windows last year, I asked them to help me on one for the main software that runs on Windows and Linux. Also the name changed to MantiumFlow. The features you asked for will soon be included. I had many computer issues the last three months which delayed a lot of things for me.
For now the setup will be exactly as last year. You are responsible to install OpenFOAM v1606+ on your own. MantiumFlow only sets up the case, can execute it if you like and then takes care of post-processing.
For the future I want a better solution as the OF Windows installation is an obvious bottle neck of this whole system. As soon as I find a simpler solution it will get integrated.
Today my plan is to finish up MantiumFlow MVRC edition.