Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
HPD

Re: Honda Power Unit

For Baku, HondaHier has the right product on Amazon.de! A part of the build-up in baggage that was supposed to debut in Canada. There are different statements about the scope of the package. Honda has advised McLaren 12 hp, but this could be deliberately deeply stacked, in order not to have to explain afterwards, why less than promised. From other sources, we hear that almost half of the PS's profit was mobilized, which Honda wanted to reach with the conversion to the prechamber ignition. That would be about 30 hp.

McLaren will try the modifications on the internal combustion engine, turbocharger and MGU-H in Friday training. This costs both drivers. Both have five turbochargers and MGU-H in the pool. Friday is a test "Family Safety Drive" on the Hockenheimring - join now and win !. Honda must first check whether the characteristics correspond to the operations on the engine. If the driveability suffers, on Saturday the old engine specification is backed up.

AMUS: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 86461.html

GoranF1
GoranF1

HPD wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 14:59
For Baku, HondaHier has the right product on Amazon.de! A part of the build-up in baggage that was supposed to debut in Canada. There are different statements about the scope of the package. Honda has advised McLaren 12 hp, but this could be deliberately deeply stacked, in order not to have to explain afterwards, why less than promised. From other sources, we hear that almost half of the PS's profit was mobilized, which Honda wanted to reach with the conversion to the prechamber ignition. That would be about 30 hp.

McLaren will try the modifications on the internal combustion engine, turbocharger and MGU-H in Friday training. This costs both drivers. Both have five turbochargers and MGU-H in the pool. Friday is a test "Family Safety Drive" on the Hockenheimring - join now and win !. Honda must first check whether the characteristics correspond to the operations on the engine. If the driveability suffers, on Saturday the old engine specification is backed up.

So is it going to be 30 after the pre chamber mod or is it going to be 60 after the change?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

HPD

GoranF1 wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 16:22
HPD wrote:

So is it going to be 30 after the pre chamber mod or is it going to be 60 after the change?
I think it means 30 in total.. 12 now and in the next update another 18.
I'm not sure

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

A lot will be how it's delivered rather than just the number.

godlameroso

They really should just talk about speed at end of straight, in Canada they were roughly 15kmh down, just like they were in China. So in those terms would this update close that gap by 5-6kmh?

Also does that mean the Honda engine has not been running TJI this whole time, and instead, has been using an adapted version of last year's heads on this year's engine block? That would actually explain a lot. I guess their hand was forced, and resulted in them developing TJI in the background while they adapted the combustion system of last year to this year's design.

They probably couldn't introduce TJI because it was blowing up engines, so they had to show up with something, and adapted last year's head to the completely revamped engine architecture, which naturally caused all sorts of problems. I guess finally they've gotten some sort of grasp on the system and feel they've made enough progress to race it.

Hope it works out for them, but I'm not expecting anything until the last quarter of the season.
Saishū kōnā

HPD

From @muramasa.

GP Canada
Alonso - FP1
Hasegawa:
- Hydraulic pressure has dropped, so brakes, steering, gearbox and everything has lost its control, so we had no choice but to stop the car there.
- I cannot disclose the location of the leak, but it has leaked from PU part. However the cause of the leakage itself was minor issue of loose joint rather than something broken down. Either it was loose from the beginning, or got loose in the middle.
- Oil has entered inside the V bank as well, so we had to detach induction box etc for that (cleaning) task, so it was such painstaking work. We worried it wouldn't be completed in time for FP2, but mechanics have done exceptional job.

Sunday
Hasegawa:
- In terms of performance, we were not competitive enough to fight against FI, but we've done pretty good against Williams. On the other hand, fuel consumption was severe.
- There was no prior sign/warning at all, it happened all of a sudden. It's extremely disappointing esp because we were bound to score a point.
- It's obviously engine blow. We haven't identified the cause yet, but this is the first time in a really long while that engine itself has broken down, and it's the first time ever this season.
- It must be purely about something of ICE has burnt, snapped/torn, bitten or broken etc, I reckon.
We have to bring it back to Sakura and investigate it to identify the exact cause, but it was mechanical malfunction. -
It was introduced in the afternoon of Friday, then run Monaco, and Canada here, so in terms of mileage this ICE hasnt been used much.
- ICE itself has seldom broken down so far, so we didn't really worry about its reliability. That's what's disappointing for sure, but what's even more shocking is that we lost point just before taking the flag.
- There has been no trouble in reciprocating system in engine itself until now, besides we never had such instances where we failed to score point just before we were going to due to engine trouble, so in that sense I'm shocked by the fact that we lost point due to engine trouble.

etusch

godlameroso wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 17:02
They really should just talk about speed at end of straight, in Canada they were roughly 15kmh down, just like they were in China. So in those terms would this update close that gap by 5-6kmh?

Also does that mean the Honda engine has not been running TJI this whole time, and instead, has been using an adapted version of last year's heads on this year's engine block? That would actually explain a lot. I guess their hand was forced, and resulted in them developing TJI in the background while they adapted the combustion system of last year to this year's design.

They probably couldn't introduce TJI because it was blowing up engines, so they had to show up with something, and adapted last year's head to the completely revamped engine architecture, which naturally caused all sorts of problems. I guess finally they've gotten some sort of grasp on the system and feel they've made enough progress to race it.

Hope it works out for them, but I'm not expecting anything until the last quarter of the season.
by looking hasegawa san's explanation I understand that they can't use fully efficienct ice because of ice's power income lesser than ers power loss when they get ice works properly so they dont want lost ers power.
Last edited by etusch on 22 Jun 2017, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

GoranF1
GoranF1

12 hp is a joke.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

HPD wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 16:26
GoranF1 wrote:
HPD wrote:
I'm not sure
I am reading this as Honda saying 12hp to downplay expectations but they think it's more like 30hp. And that 30hp is half what they are expecting to gain but they have held back that other part of the update.

etusch

GoranF1 wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 17:45
12 hp is a joke.
12 is if continously come along the season. Of course I wish it 30

GoranF1
GoranF1

fellowhoodlums wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 18:01
HPD wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

I'm not sure
I am reading this as Honda saying 12hp to downplay expectations but they think it's more like 30hp. And that 30hp is half what they are expecting to gain but they have held back that other part of the update.
This is how i hoped it says....someone who knows german can maybe be more precize whit translation?

HPD

The new engine will only work on Friday, with Alonso. If all goes well, it will stay.
Vandoorne: Engine will change but not evolved.
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 1618306048 https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 5209247744

HPD

GoranF1 wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 18:21
fellowhoodlums wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 18:01
HPD wrote:

I'm not sure
This is how i hoped it says....someone who knows german can maybe be more precize whit translation?
A news from Spain says that the evolution of the engine will have between 12 to 30 CV for baku

GoranF1
GoranF1

HPD wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 18:38

Vandoorne: Engine will change but not evolved.

New concept?

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

If the difference to Mercedes is 100hp - this brings it down to 70, second part of that update before summer break is another 30hp (if they can make it work) then the spec 3 engine brings it down further to....?

ok, lots of if's and but's and maybe's and if they are just 30hp down at end of season.....I'd take that as long as it's reliable.