Engineering Student Resources

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Tom

For anyone studying Engineering or Technology, esspecially with an interest in racing, I strongly recommend you buy Engineer to Win by Carroll Smith, and any of his other books.

He manages to explain the most complex of metalology principles in a thorough and 'jocular' manner. A background knowledge of the subject helps alot but you'll still learn alot from it.

It was suggested to me by a lecturer who swears by the books so I bought one cheap on ebay and loved it. They can be picked up for very little if you hunt around, go find them.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

ss_collins

To your Carroll Smith I raise you Racecar Engineering and Dynamics by Paul Van Valkenburgh

MrT
MrT

Milliken and Milliken Race car vehicle dynamics IMO is by far the best. Carrol smiths second, I didn't like Paul Van Valkenburgh's book. Rowley's Race Car Engineering volume 1 is also extremley good although you have to buy it from Canada so its very hard to get hold of.

Tom

Re: Engineering Student Resources

Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

HKS

Hey anything for the differentials or live rear axles?

I'm looking out for sketches of semi floating with various loads acting on it. I would be glad if i can get it's design consideration also.
Racing cars are neither beautiful nor ugly, they are beautiful only when you win races.

PlatinumZealot

It would be good if some sample engineering Graduate application essays were posted :lol:

I don't know if it's me or other engineering students but i'm not strong at writing essays.

I would like to go to a graduate school in America but i have no idea which one to pick.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ
๐ŸŸค๐ŸŸค Coco puffs are my favourite too! ๐ŸŸค๐ŸŸค

noname

something about stochastic, optimization and robustness. I advice to use download link:
http://www.marczyk.net/

and some practical exercise:
http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelArticles/mc/index.html

Belatti

Dont know if this has already been posted, but its an incredible site:

http://www.nileengineers.com/

Any kind of engineering E-books
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Belatti

Belatti wrote:Dont know if this has already been posted, but its an incredible site:

http://www.nileengineers.com/

Any kind of engineering E-books
Did I tell they are absolutely for free? :)
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

oohlala

need help to find the CAD design of engine block...somebody please help me

Scotracer

n smikle wrote:It would be good if some sample engineering Graduate application essays were posted :lol:

I don't know if it's me or other engineering students but i'm not strong at writing essays.

I would like to go to a graduate school in America but i have no idea which one to pick.
I spent a lot of my spare time practicing and improving my writing skills. So much so that I ended up writing philosophical papers. I used to be awful at writing.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Tifoso

Good afternoon!
I was looking for a book about how a car works, mechanics basically. But in a general view, without too much maths. or equs. I mean, not a "for dummies" book but either a very very indeep research.

I came across this one:

Hilliers Fundamentals of Motor Vehicle Technology

Any advice?

Thx. in advance!

bazanaius

Depending on which area of the car you're interested in, there are a few options - in terms of how a car works generally, it's hard to find a single book that covers it all in a very general sense, because as soon as you ask a few questions you have to go into some depth, and if you did this for a whole car you have a big book!

For a very brief overview of certain areas (i'm guessing you have a general idea of the concepts involved with what makes a car work - engine, gearbox, wheels, steering etc. but are looking for specifics about each areas' design and function?) the internet is your best friend - wikipedia, howstuffworks and google all work well and often can give an overview.

For books specifically -

Vehicle dynamics (steering, suspension, ride etc) - "Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics" by Gillespie is a good book. Refers more to road cars than race cars, but the mechanics is the same.

I'm sure other people can recommend books for powertrain, gearboxes etc. basically the more specific you get the more detailed your book will be :-)