[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
rjsa

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

LVDH wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 21:09
rjsa wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 18:14
Thanks, I'm testing it on the bad Y=0 stuff.

Two things:

1-Command line # of CPUs dead here.

2-Line 4 of runCase.sh in windows:
. C:\Program Files (x86)\ESI\OpenFOAM\OpenFOAM-v1606+\etc\bashrc - now with "(" that breaks it for linux. But ok, it's needed. Then I switched to linux and got this:
. /opt/OpenFOAM\OpenFOAM-v1606+\etc\bashrc
Didn't run this yet, but will it be ok in Linux?
For the command line thing in Windows with the nCPUs I have a fix that seems to work. I will upload it tomorrow morning.
How you manage to have forward and backward slashes in the source command in Linux is beyond me. Did you write strange things into your default_settings file?
I just did what you suggested. Edited the ini and changed the OS to Linux and replaced the OF path for the Linux install location (that is, /opt/openfoam). MF appended the "\OpenFoam-v1606+\etc\bashrc". I guess the windows version is not considering the ini file and always using back slashes no matter what OS we specify there.

Ft5fTL

Yep i can confirm that got a syntax error on line 4.

runCase.sh: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `('
runCase.sh: line 4: `. C:\Program Files (x86)\ESI\OpenFOAM\OpenFOAM-v1606+\etc\bashrc'
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

LVDH

OK, before I send the cpu update maybe we can fix this one as well.
Try removing that line with the brackets. I am not sure why it is in there. Then use MantiumFlow and hit the Run Case button. If you hit build first then remove the line again.

CAEdevice

Hi, sorry for my previuos inaccurate reporting.

Code: Select all

This is the correct error message (MFlow 2017.3):
reading new config settings: S:\OpenFOAM_WorkingDirectory\Software\MantiumFlow_default_settings\default_settings.ini
Loading template settings for : mvrc
reading new config settings: S:\OpenFOAM_WorkingDirectory\Software\MantiumFlow_default_settings\mvrc.ini
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "MFlow_MVRC.py", line 4634, in <module>
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: 'mvrc'
Failed to execute script MFlow_MVRC

Edit: I noticed that, using the GUI, no error messages are generated.

LVDH

You might have this issue because one of the fixes I made for windows included checking if you are using either c:,d:,e: and it seems that you are using s:. I will improve that. Did anyone see if it works to remove the line starting with the dot and then running the case. The line is wrong and was not there last year. Why it is now is hard to understand as it is in the main software and that works. It would be good if someone could check.

CAEdevice

Yes, my working directories are all in disks named s:

I am leaving for at least a couple of weeks, I need to be far from computing and everything related to engineering for a while. LDVH has some pictures of my car and (if possible) he will show them before the first race (around July 20th). It looks I will not be present when my car will be revealed :) Bye!

rjsa

Deleting that line makes everything ok in linux if the environment is properly set.

BUT having runcase setting the environment would be fine. I'm currently prepending a 'source /opt/OpenFoam/...' line to it from my batch processing script

LVDH

In Linux that line is necessary. Are you creating it in Windows with the ¨hack¨ I suggested a while ago?

rjsa

The back/forward slash mixup comes with the hack, I didn't try running it. I'm just deleting the line and adding this within my batch shell script in linux:

echo Prepend Environment: "source /opt/OpenFOAM/setImage_v1606+"
echo -e "source /opt/OpenFOAM/setImage_v1606+\n$(cat runCase.sh)" >runCase.sh

Like this everything works just fine.

Below what I'm setting up to automate multiple cases:
export MyCaseName=$1

echo "Unpacking Case: " $MyCaseName

unrar x /srv/samba/share/$MyCaseName.rar .

echo "Case Folder: " $MyBasePath/$MyCaseName

cd $MyBasePath/$MyCaseName

ls -ls

echo Prepend Environment: "source /opt/OpenFOAM/setImage_v1606+"

echo -e "source /opt/OpenFOAM/setImage_v1606+\n$(cat runCase.sh)" >runCase.sh

echo -e "cd $MyDockerPath/$MyCaseName\n$(cat runCase.sh)" >runCase.sh

echo -e "$(cat runCase.sh)\n\n#Appended by Idadox\n\n" >runCase.sh

echo -e "$(cat runCase.sh)\n\nreconstructParMesh -constant\n\n" >runCase.sh

echo -e "$(cat runCase.sh)\n\nreconstructParMesh -constant\n\n" >runCase.sh

chmod +x runCase.sh
echo "<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< runCase.sh here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"

cat runCase.sh

echo "<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Excution starts here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"

touch $MyBasePath/$MyCaseName/00startTime.txt

docker exec -i of_v1606_plus bash < runCase.sh

touch $MyBasePath/$MyCaseName/01processedTime.txt

cd $MyBasePath
pwd

tar -czvf /srv/samba/share/$1_return.tgz $MyCaseName

pwd

Ft5fTL

Here goes nothing:

Still on development obviously but this is the base im working on atm.

variante

Wow! That looks awesome! Everything seems to be properly thought and well developed.
I'm curious to see how that layout performs. I think the performances will converge even more than last year... More fun!

Hopefully I'll be more into the championship this year. Can't wait to show my car (but that will happen no sooner than a couple of weeks...)

Ft5fTL

Thanks for the compliment. Still need a lot of work for getting to top 5. At least i have a good cooling this year so i can develop the car without having multiple headaches.

rjsa

That's looking neat.

rjsa

I figure out my crazy buffeting intake. Haven't reached 4.5 yet though.

But I'm not seeing a difference in lap times using 3.73 instead of 4.5. Should I???

LVDH

Very good looking car. I hope you did not forget the air intake.

I have uploaded a new version of the software. As I hope it now concludes the teething issues it is time to think about new features. The top three on my list are, streamline visualizations, forces per part and adding AWS to the HPC tab, you might have noticed. As rsja is trying to use MantiumFlow on Windows to create a Linux case, this feature would be at least useful to him but probably also to others and that is what that tab is made for.
Does anyone know if we can run a poll on this forum? If someone has a good recommendation for a Wordpress plugin we can also do it on the Challenge page and decide there what comes next.

rjsa wrote:
01 Jul 2017, 02:55
I figure out my crazy buffeting intake. Haven't reached 4.5 yet though.

But I'm not seeing a difference in lap times using 3.73 instead of 4.5. Should I???
On the intake you only have to be above 0 or am I wrong? Try using a negative value. Machin is currently updating the software, it will soon as work for the intro class cars.
How did you solve the buffeting issue? Was it the car or the software? I have not had time to look into it yet.