2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

Kvyat is torpedoing his own Career.

AnotherAlex
AnotherAlex

foxmulder_ms wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 17:08
Best post ever! =D>
Lol.

All the complaining about driver status at Ferrari is just an attempt to justify Hamilton's desire for official rather than de facto number 1 status at Mercedes.

If Ferrari can keep up the pressure it'll be interesting to see how long Mercedes go before officially favouring one of their drivers.

TAG

Vettel parks his car waaaay ouside the grid box, the guy's a genius, always looking for an edge. Pushing the envelope. Come to think of it, I don't recall Hamilton radioing in a complaint about Vettel's starting position and having Charlie take a look at it.

Bottas gets a superhuman start... and it's hair on fire.

Rose colored glasses rules.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

I mean, if Hamilton, and Mercedes end up losing this championship it will be embarrassing. I think Mercedes have made big improvement, even if that's not clear because of all the problems in recent race, Ferrari are slightly behind in term of race pace now even on a track who was more suited to the qualities of the red cars. We've seen this since the Spanish GP I would say.
Furthermore, in qualifying it's quiet clear that Merc are better on a regular basis (that was not so obvious at the start of the season).

So, everything is in the hand of Hamilton, Bottas and Merc, if next week they bottle it again at home it would be a disgrace and Ferrari would be really lucky.

Phil

santos wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 19:41
Please let's not spent all week talking about 0.2s of the race.
Rules are rules? I love the fact Bottas won, but if it was a jump start, it should be properly investigated, or else you will have drivers like Vettel who get every edge they can exploiting these very things next race. E.g.: slowly slipping the clutch just moments before the lights go out. Rules are rules for a reason and they should be consistent across the board, no matter who is in focus.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Treble
Treble

TAG wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 20:28
Vettel parks his car waaaay ouside the grid box, the guy's a genius, always looking for an edge. Pushing the envelope. Come to think of it, I don't recall Hamilton radioing in a complaint about Vettel's starting position and having Charlie take a look at it.

Bottas gets a superhuman start... and it's hair on fire.

Rose colored glasses rules.
"At the driver's meeting in Bahrain, Sebastian Vettel had to listen to his fellow drivers complaints for 22 minutes. Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa where the ones who had the most critique on the Ferrari driver. They wanted to know from Charlie Whiting why the action was unpunished last sunday, and whether everyone would be able to put his car where they wanted, in the future."

It's clear Bottas jumps the start. The steward made a mistake in race and now i don't want any other investigation for the same reason i didn't want one for Vettel the last week.In my opinion the stewards can make mistakes for racing benefit.

Schuttelberg

Phil wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 20:40
santos wrote:
Rules are rules? I love the fact Bottas won, but if it was a jump start, it should be properly investigated, or else you will have drivers like Vettel who get every edge they can exploiting these very things next race. E.g.: slowly slipping the clutch just moments before the lights go out. Rules are rules for a reason and they should be consistent across the board, no matter who is in focus.
Isn't that what every F1 driver is supposed to do?
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

RZS10

Alright, this is from info on AMuS:

The reaction time is completely irrelevant for a jump start, a reaction of 0.0s would be perfectly legal - the 0.2s shown was not from official FIA data but just shown by the FOM.

The ONLY thing determining whether there's a false start is the sensors.

There's a loop in every starting box, every car has a sensor, that loop is in front of the senser and is measuring the signal strenght over time, since the sensor is not in the same place on every car it will be different every time, but every car has a "zero" distance strenght.

The data produces a graph, signal strenght on y, time on x - there's a red and a green line, one for the 5th red, one for 'green' - the car is not allowed to move before the vertical green line.

The car starts moving towards the loop, when the sensor is above the loop the graph will have it's peak and then the strenght goes down to 0.

The system has not once failed in over 20 years.

Ideal start:

Bottas did indeed move 0.06s before 'green' BUT there is an error of margin for the system and a tiny allowed movement (both a secret so that teams don't optimize their starts for it) - Bottas was within the tolerance.

So i hope this clears things up and there won't be another few pages with unnecessary discussions ...
Last edited by RZS10 on 09 Jul 2017, 23:01, edited 7 times in total.

Schuttelberg

In my opinion, Austria was another exclamation mark to what I've believed in since 2016, which is Lewis is on the slide. His 'off' weekends are getting more and more frequent while he retains his usual untouchable brilliance on others.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

matt_b
matt_b

Spoutnik wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 20:37
I mean, if Hamilton, and Mercedes end up losing this championship it will be embarrassing. I think Mercedes have made big improvement, even if that's not clear because of all the problems in recent race, Ferrari are slightly behind in term of race pace now even on a track who was more suited to the qualities of the red cars. We've seen this since the Spanish GP I would say.
Furthermore, in qualifying it's quiet clear that Merc are better on a regular basis (that was not so obvious at the start of the season).

So, everything is in the hand of Hamilton, Bottas and Merc, if next week they bottle it again at home it would be a disgrace and Ferrari would be really lucky.
Its already getting embarrassing, they've given Ferrari 2 open goals in a row with the headrest and gearbox. Their only saving grace is that Sebs road rage cost him the win in Baku and that Austria was 71 laps instead of 72. They really need to turn up next week.

TAG

Treble wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 20:42
"At the driver's meeting in Bahrain, Sebastian Vettel had to listen to his fellow drivers complaints for 22 minutes. Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa where the ones who had the most critique on the Ferrari driver. They wanted to know from Charlie Whiting why the action was unpunished last sunday, and whether everyone would be able to put his car where they wanted, in the future."
In the driver's meeting yes; As they should not over the radio. The FiA also issues a clarification. The point was about fanatically excusing your own while demanding the head of someone else. I'm glad you're not one of them. Like a lot of people here, all I look for is consistency. Bad enough we don't get it from the stewards, the it's rehashed on the forums.

The only conversation about the a possibly jumped start aired was between the Ferrari pit and Vettel. Maybe Vettel could have gotten a better start himself if he wasn't watching Bottas' car?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Phil

Schuttelberg wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 20:52
Phil wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 20:40
santos wrote:
Isn't that what every F1 driver is supposed to do?
Absolutely, hence the necessity to investigate and punish where appropriate.

Ps: Hamilton on a slide? How so? I find that quite a surprising statement considering the weekend he had. If you are referring to his Q3 lap, well, it wasnt exactly easy on a car set up for SS and not "in the sweet spot"?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Wass85
Wass85

I think it's fair to say that my early opinions of Hamilton having one of his worst season to date still rings true no matter how much I get lambasted for it.

Although he had some niggles this weekend he still should have put the car on pole. Today he came alive at the end but he spent most of the race with poor pace.

The team are getting behind Bottas and both know it as both drivers have mentioned Bottas is now a serious challenger for this year's title. Hamilton needs to up his consistency if he's going to take this title but he's way behind Vettel in this department so far this season.

ripper
ripper

On italian Sky they said that also RIC told to the box that BOT did a jump start

TAG

Schuttelberg wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 20:59
In my opinion, Austria was another exclamation mark to what I've believed in since 2016, which is Lewis is on the slide. His 'off' weekends are getting more and more frequent while he retains his usual untouchable brilliance on others.
Are you factoring in his replaced transmission and subsequent grid penalty on the slide? It's a long season, don't worry he'll pull it out with plenty points to spare, especially now that Ferrari is beginning to falter on the development front, Vettel will feel the effects of grid penalties soon enough, he'll be sliding as well.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत