2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
TAG

Re: 2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

RZS10 wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 20:58
So i hope this clears things up and there won't be another few pages with unnecessary discussions ...
I hope so as well, thank you for visuals.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

ripper
ripper

Bottas is only 15 pts behind his teammate right? If he manages to score more points in next race it's going to be interesting to see what will happen in Mercedes

TAG

ripper wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 21:10
Bottas is only 15 pts behind his teammate right? If he manages to score more points in next race it's going to be interesting to see what will happen in Mercedes
It's entirely possible, what other mechanical issue do you think Hamilton will see keeping him scoring less points than his teammate in Silverstone?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Wass85
Wass85

TAG wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 21:08
Schuttelberg wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 20:59
In my opinion, Austria was another exclamation mark to what I've believed in since 2016, which is Lewis is on the slide. His 'off' weekends are getting more and more frequent while he retains his usual untouchable brilliance on others.
Are you factoring in his replaced transmission and subsequent grid penalty on the slide? It's a long season, don't worry he'll pull it out with plenty points to spare, especially now that Ferrari is beginning to falter on the development front, Vettel will feel the effects of grid penalties soon enough, he'll be sliding as well.
No he's factoring in Hamilton only doing enough for 3rd on the grid when he has the car to get pole. In the races nowadays he's super cautious which costs him potential podiums when there's the opportunity. He's been driving like this for a couple of seasons now.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

getting driven off track by kvyat offcourse.

then, the next gp, kvyat gets replaced by gasly and kvyat gets back into GP2.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Treble
Treble

RZS10 wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 20:58
Alright, this is from info on AMuS:

The reaction time is completely irrelevant for a jump start, a reaction of 0.0s would be perfectly legal - the 0.2s shown was not from official FIA data but just shown by the FOM.

There's a loop in every starting box, every car has a sensor, that loop is in front of the senser and is measuring the signal strenght over time, since the sensor is not in the same place on every car it will be different every time, but every car has a "zero" distance strenght.

The data produces a graph, signal strenght on y, time on x - there's a red and a green line, one for the 5th red, one for 'green' - the car is not allowed to move before the vertical green line.

The car starts moving towards the loop, when the sensor is above the loop the graph will have it's peak and then the strenght goes down to 0.

The system has not once failed in over 20 years.

Ideal start:
http://i.imgur.com/lFqjPPg.png

Bottas did indeed move 0.06s before 'green' BUT there is an error of margin for the system and a tiny allowed movement (both a secret so that teams don't optimize their starts for it) - Bottas was within the tolerance.

http://i.imgur.com/HT5WCIU.png

So i hope this clears things up and there won't be another few pages with unnecessary discussions ...
"there is an error of margin for the system". Exactly. And is this "tolerance" included in the FIA rules?

Any forward movement before the lights go out is not legal as is moving when the start signal is given (as stated by the FIA International Sporting Regulation Art. 8.6.1.b & c)
Last edited by Treble on 09 Jul 2017, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

matt_b wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 20:37
I mean, if Hamilton, and Mercedes end up losing this championship it will be embarrassing. I think Mercedes have made big improvement, even if that's not clear because of all the problems in recent race, Ferrari are slightly behind in term of race pace now even on a track who was more suited to the qualities of the red cars. We've seen this since the Spanish GP I would say.
Furthermore, in qualifying it's quiet clear that Merc are better on a regular basis (that was not so obvious at the start of the season).

So, everything is in the hand of Hamilton, Bottas and Merc, if next week they bottle it again at home it would be a disgrace and Ferrari would be really lucky.
Its already getting embarrassing, they've given Ferrari 2 open goals in a row with the headrest and gearbox. Their only saving grace is that Sebs road rage cost him the win in Baku and that Austria was 71 laps instead of 72. They really need to turn up next week.
Yes, I couldn't agree more. In a way, Mercedes can thank Bottas because it's been now three times (Russia, Baku, Austria) he contain Vettel, and stop him from earn vital points.

But I can't agree with the people above who complain about Lewis inconsistency. If you don't take into account the Russian GP, were does Lewis was inconsistent ? The Merc were both nowhere in Monaco. I think everyone know Lewis was the quickest two weeks ago, and today, +35 laps on ultra-soft almosg catching Ricciardo. It was certainely not the "super Lewis" you can see sometimes, making some "remontada" (i.e Monza 2014, Hungary 2014...) but he was not so much off the pace...

ripper
ripper

I don't see why Bottas can't beat his teammate, it's not easy, but I think he's able to do it. I consider Hamilton a better driver, but the Finnish can beat him sometimes

ThumbsUp
ThumbsUp

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 15:44
Not a great weekend from HAM, poor qually, barely any cars passed on track, should have been able to pass both RAI and RIC on track.

Good drive and tire maintenance by VET/Ferrari

Good drive by RIC

Great start and drive by BOT, what is this nonsense about a jump start, they have an electronic system and even if he moved .001 after the lights went out, he is good to the regs.
GRO & PER with good drives, The Williams able to scrounge some points after a horrible qually.

KVT needs to be penalized heavily.

What happened to VER?
VER was having clutch issues before the start. So gutted he has had yet another technical failure. How is it even possible to have such bad luck.. 5 DNF's in a row.

Is it possible that his crew fails to deliver?

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

TAG wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 21:08
Schuttelberg wrote:
In my opinion, Austria was another exclamation mark to what I've believed in since 2016, which is Lewis is on the slide. His 'off' weekends are getting more and more frequent while he retains his usual untouchable brilliance on others.
Are you factoring in his replaced transmission and subsequent grid penalty on the slide? It's a long season, don't worry he'll pull it out with plenty points to spare, especially now that Ferrari is beginning to falter on the development front, Vettel will feel the effects of grid penalties soon enough, he'll be sliding as well.

Exactly, I am writing here: It will not be even close at the end of this year. Mercedes will win this by a healthy margin ~2 races.

Edax
Edax

ThumbsUp wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 21:34
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Not a great weekend from HAM, poor qually, barely any cars passed on track, should have been able to pass both RAI and RIC on track.

Good drive by RIC

Great start and drive by BOT, what is this nonsense about a jump start, they have an electronic system and even if he moved .001 after the lights went out, he is good to the regs.
GRO & PER with good drives, The Williams able to scrounge some points after a horrible qually.

What happened to VER?
VER was having clutch issues before the start. So gutted he has had yet another technical failure. How is it even possible to have such bad luck.. 5 DNF's in a row.

Apparently RIC had the same problem during the weekend but they replaced his clutch for the race. Overall it seems to me that they have a similar amount of mechanical troubles, but RIC has been lucky so far that they did not occur at critical moments.

RB13... lucky fore some.

SameSame
SameSame

Spoutnik wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 21:31
But I can't agree with the people above who complain about Lewis inconsistency. If you don't take into account the Russian GP, were does Lewis was inconsistent ? The Merc were both nowhere in Monaco. I think everyone know Lewis was the quickest two weeks ago, and today, +35 laps on ultra-soft almosg catching Ricciardo. It was certainely not the "super Lewis" you can see sometimes, making some "remontada" (i.e Monza 2014, Hungary 2014...) but he was not so much off the pace...
The Mercs were both nowhere in Monaco? :shock: Not sure we saw the same qualifying where Hamilton was 1.2s off Bottas in Q2 on such a short lap...

Today he did as much as he could, he was fortunate about Max retiring and Kimi having a poor day.

Vettel having penalties is going to make for an even more interesting championship, surely he will take penalties with the rumoured Silverstone PU upgrade?

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

SameSame wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 21:55
Spoutnik wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 21:31
The Mercs were both nowhere in Monaco? :shock: Not sure we saw the same qualifying where Hamilton was 1.2s off Bottas in Q2 on such a short lap...

Today he did as much as he could, he was fortunate about Max retiring and Kimi having a poor day.

Vettel having penalties is going to make for an even more interesting championship, surely he will take penalties with the rumoured Silverstone PU upgrade?
Yes, Lewis without the yellow would be in Q3 and would have started between 10 and 5th place. During the race they were more or less on the same pace, both of them with tires problems.

Yes, he was fortunate in a way, but what about Vettel ? Hamilton penalty, Ves out, his teamate off the pace and the "slowest" Merc in front of him (like in Russia and Baku)

ThumbsUp
ThumbsUp

Edax wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 21:52
ThumbsUp wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 21:34
ENGINE TUNER wrote:

Good drive by RIC

What happened to VER?

Apparently RIC had the same problem during the weekend but they replaced his clutch for the race. Overall it seems to me that they have a similar amount of mechanical troubles, but RIC has been lucky so far that they did not occur at critical moments.

RB13... lucky fore some.
A Dutch reporter asked Max about that and he said it was a different issue. Hope that Max can have a normal weekend at Silverstone without technical gremlins.

fiohaa
fiohaa

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130639

So it WAS a judgement call - and they will never reveal the data behind it either.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130639