Future Of The British Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
adrianjordan

Future Of The British Grand Prix

Since there doesn't seem to be a thread on it already, I thought I would start one so we can avoid clogging up the race thread with talk about it.

I think it will be a crying shame if Silverstone disappears from the calendar, especially if it ends up being replaced with the mooted street race around London's Docklands (not the greatest example of our capital city!!).
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Facts Only

Re: Future Of The British Grand Prix

They'll just renegotiate now that Bernie is gone.
If they can show that even with selling every single ticket they still cant make a profit liberty will need to accept that the hosting fee is unsustainable.

Liberty seem more interested in long term health of the sport rather than bleeding everyone dry for short term gain so a healthy British GP at Silverstone is a no-brainer
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

FW17

What will be future of Silverstone without F1 GP?

Can they sustain the massive facilities?

waynes

A lower race hosting fee may mean cheaper prices and that will attract more fans who in turn will spend money at the circuit. I know i do and will do on Sunday

Currently its got a capacity of 150,000 but looking at the ticketing website yesterday tickets are still available for Sunday. I believe that the BRDC and Liberty will come to a mutually beneficial deal however they need to keep it out of the press and get on with it. Release information when the deals done.

FW17 - there is a lot of businesses around Silverstone now, the experience facilities are fantastic however the circuit usage and attendance for those non F1 meetings would not sustain Silverstone into the future in my opinion.

Simple fact is the BRDC and Liberty need to sit down, look at the numbers and get a deal done where at the very least Silverstone breaks even. If they (Liberty) are committed to keeping these historic circuits then they will get a deal signed.

NathanOlder

Its obvious the hosting fee's are too high, it seems Silverstone is one of the more expensive races (ticket prices) to go and watch, yet they have more fans across the weekend than pretty much all other tracks, if they can't afford it, it's telling me that its all wrong.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

marmer

F1 should rent the track from its owner and take all revenue from the weekend events instead of selling a race to the track. Would be a far better long term approach.
Track running costs will mostly stay the same so a set rent paid by F1 would be better for them. F1 could still make money from the event itself.

The problem at the moment is having to pay F1 and then not knowing exactly how much money they will get in revenue from the weekend.

The flexible bit should be on f1s shoulders not the track.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

TAG

In every other race event the track gets paid for track side advertising, F1 doesn't work like that. There's all sorts of reasons why the track owners and race organizers are unable to make ends meet. The squeezing water from a rock pricing set by Ecclestone in his era is one of the reasons. The other is that there's no organization on the part of the circuit owners. Collective bargaining, it's painful to watch a sport in middle east countries that are willing to throw money away, but can't fill half the stands, they need to leverage that fact.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

waynes

TAG wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 15:07
it's painful to watch a sport in middle east countries that are willing to throw money away, but can't fill half the stands, they need to leverage that fact.
hopefully the Liberty mob are around all weekend to see how many people make the trip to Silverstone

:)

marmer

Bernie should be commended really drawing blood from a stone.

Taking money to host races at some eye watering prices

Track side advertising to F1 not the track dispite the fact that they are the ones who will go out and display it.
There would be alot less money in the sport without him but the tracks might be better off. Which might have led to a better sport but it's too late now.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Wass85

F1 is dying a slow death, losing Silverstone is just another nail in the coffin. I'll be very surprised if the sport lasts a decade.

Facts Only

Best ridiculous internet hyperbole ever!
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

i70q7m7ghw

The sport has become too elitist. I love F1, but would never pay full price for a ticket. I've been to the British GP twice, once as a guest of Lotus F1, a gift from an employer, and the second time on a ticket I purchased heavily discounted using a gift voucher. I enjoyed it both times, but I still couldn't justify the full prices. Now they are saying they can't even afford to host the event? Even though they sell it out every year at the crazy prices? Pffff.

Insane ticket prices, and with the move away from free to air TV insane subscription fees. F1 has become a very expensive sport for it's fans.

Just_a_fan

Facts Only wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 10:20
They'll just renegotiate now that Bernie is gone.
If they can show that even with selling every single ticket they still cant make a profit liberty will need to accept that the hosting fee is unsustainable.

Liberty seem more interested in long term health of the sport rather than bleeding everyone dry for short term gain so a healthy British GP at Silverstone is a no-brainer
Liberty have bought themselves a problem. If they agree reduced fees with Silverstone, every other track will want a reduction too. Liberty aren't going to want to go down that road so they might just sacrifice Silverstone in order to make a point.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

waynes

Liberty will not sacrifice the British Grand Prix "to make a point"

instantly they'd lose all credibility with the teams and more importantly the fans. 8 out of 10 teams are based in the country where Formula 1 hosted its first world championship race. That in itself is worth keeping the GP for

So what if the other circuits want reduced fees, i'm quite confident in saying let them take a running jump. Godawful circuits like Yas Marina and Bahrain could quite easily be replaced by races in Europe or the US where they'll pack out the grandstands and F1 would be better for it. Liberty arent mugs.

NathanOlder

Reduce the rates and then you would be able to pick your venue's and have more to chose from as the number of tracks that could host will increase.

Bahrain or Imola
Abu Dahbi or Estoril
Baku or Nurburgring

Would be easy decisions, so the only way to keep the boring tracks from far away would be to charge them more and the historic European tracks would get discount and many spectator's
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC