Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
63l8qrrfy6

Re: Honda Power Unit

Marti_EF3 wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 16:00
Fuel pump issue. It's a Honda failure? Or Mclaren?
Fuel pumps are usually 3rd party components purchased by the engine manufacturer. For these pressures and flow rates they probably have single element lobe pumps. Hoses and fittings are again 3rd party components although some manufacturers prefer to swage them in house.

In the end it is Honda's responsability to test the fuel system thoroughly.

PlatinumZealot

Depends on which fuel pump broke. Direct injection engines may have three fuel pump stages.
A conventional fuel pump(or pumps) in the tank, then a medium pressure stage, and finally a high pressure stage.

There was no word on which of the pumps failed. Hopefully an insider can give us some information.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PhillipM

Pickup pump in the tank someone just mentioned, although I didn't think to ask directly so I don't know if that's a Honda part or not?

Joseki

HPD wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 16:07
Alonso: "The petrol pump is the official version, it made us lose power" (Movistar)
Much better the consumption in this race, this is a step forward
Fernando's statement implies that the official version is just BS and it's something else that failed, which I don't think it's improbable.

Oonnnn

The statement was a translated one.

63l8qrrfy6

PlatinumZealot wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 17:12
Depends on which fuel pump broke. Direct injection engines may have three fuel pump stages.
A conventional fuel pump(or pumps) in the tank, then a medium pressure stage, and finally a high pressure stage.

There was no word on which of the pumps failed. Hopefully an insider can give us some information.
I agree, but lift pumps are simple gear pumps and tend to be very reliable. I think the high pressure pump is the most likely to fail. They are very harsh on lobes at high speed and low load.

Sonador

Mclaren has had more isseus with fuelpickup or pumps, just aks Hamilton about some race's in 2012.

But it must be a bitter pil to take for both Mclaren and Honda.

Chicane

EB: drop in fuel pressure

Hasegawa: fuel system-related issue

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2017/br ... rand-prix/
Quickshifter

etusch

drunkf1fan wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 16:51
etusch wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 16:19
one step forward more and they are 4th fastest as they were last years end. Not in terms of point but in terms of pace..
4th fastest, despite Renault, RBR, Mercedes and Ferrari all being ahead here, it was one race and they need a massive step. 4th fastest with a car that fails to finish every other race isn't 4th fastest. You're 4th fastest when you can finish the year as 4th fastest car, not when average over a season is 7th fastest because you are 4th in some races and dead last in others because you can't finish. Silverstone probably has more time on throttle in corners than most rather than all on straights so Silverstone isn't nearly as bad as people think it is for Mclaren/Honda.

Honda have 2-3 steps on performance and 10 steps to make on reliability before they can consider being the 4th fastest car.
Vandoorne finished two race with spec3 without any issues. So it works. Of course they have to develop in terms of reliability too. But I want to see next 30 hp power or performance. I would be happier if Mclaren can go faster but dnf with both car.

Marti_EF3

Vandoorne did a "good" race with constant pace and not much fuel saving. It was with Force India and Williams times, but it lacks top speed to overtake them... And the mgu-h seems to hold for now on his engine... We can call it a real step forward from Honda?

makecry

Marti_EF3 wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 19:40
Vandoorne did a "good" race with constant pace and not much fuel saving. It was with Force India and Williams times, but it lacks top speed to overtake them... And the mgu-h seems to hold for now on his engine... We can call it a real step forward from Honda?
How many Races have that MGU-H lasted exactly? I will call it a real step forward when it actually lasts 4-5 races.

PlatinumZealot

Yeah. Good step but I'm not impressed. When they can bring a 35kW upgrade like renault did last year then we can talk about a real upgrade.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Marti_EF3

makecry wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 19:50
Marti_EF3 wrote:
How many Races have that MGU-H lasted exactly? I will call it a real step forward when it actually lasts 4-5 races.
I think now it have 2 full weekends. Not much, but if you compare with previous races, it's a lot... If in Hungary there are no failures, it will be a step, and maybe they can focus more on performance...

What is supposed to add Honda at Spa?? Pre combustion chambers alone?? Or it will be a new head (camshafts, etc,etc)?

kfrantzios

Marti_EF3 wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 21:57
makecry wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 19:50
Marti_EF3 wrote:
I think now it have 2 full weekends. Not much, but if you compare with previous races, it's a lot... If in Hungary there are no failures, it will be a step, and maybe they can focus more on performance...

What is supposed to add Honda at Spa?? Pre combustion chambers alone?? Or it will be a new head (camshafts, etc,etc)?
I don't think Honda will bring any updates in Spa. Maybe Monza

Sasha

Looks like the new (spec 4.0 for auto press....spec 3.0 at HRD)Heads/Pistons(CC) was pushed back to Japan GP the soonest(could be 2018).There will be updates every race if the updates show performance improvements.

They still need to get this upgrade correct(mapping) and still fix the MGU-H.

Little steps now are better than a very big step and then fall on your face even before the first lap like they did in the past.
Last edited by Sasha on 17 Jul 2017, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.