2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
marvin78
marvin78

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

There were so much people telling us, that the Ferrari was so stable on the brakes in pre-season testing. Is that gone or untrue? I see a lack of power (so much) and problems in fast corners.

mertol

In this video you mainly see Kimi sucking nothing more.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

marvin78 wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 12:27
There were so much people telling us, that the Ferrari was so stable on the brakes in pre-season testing. Is that gone or untrue? I see a lack of power (so much) and problems in fast corners.
I think that was untrue, but overall this Ferrari seems really "easy" to drive, stable, balanced that's came from this.

Moose
Moose

F1NAC wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 12:13
Total domination by Hamilton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5ZWJ644cQ

Slow speed entry + copse better for Ferrari, but Mercedes so much better on acceleration, after that engines seems equal. (dont know DF levels of Mercedes, by M-B-C it seems they carried more DF). huh a lot of work to do for Ferrari
That really backs up my assertion that the Mercedes is great in the downforce sections.

Hamilton gains 0.15 seconds through Maggots and Beckets, and then continues to gain all down the following straight, due to a higher apex and exit speed.

Almost all of the time he gained in sector 2 and half the time he gained in sector 3 was due to being faster in Maggots and Beckets.
So you agree there is no "high speed corner" issue for Ferrari ?
Not at all - all the time that the Ferrari gains is in traction out of lower speed corners, not in the high speed aero.

nacho
nacho

It's amazing how stable the drivers hands are nowadays compared to what it used to be. Almost no corrections.

Sieper

Stroll does not agree.

TAG

GPR-A wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 11:18
Guess what, I don't think I was alone in thinking that way. On both Sky and Channel 4, the commentators were of the same opinion that the swap would happen!
They'd already set the table with the "something dangling by my legs" things with Kimi.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

TAG

The problems snowball, and the bigger the gap to Mercedes, the more trim they'll have to take out of the car the more difficult the car will become to manage, the more difficulties they'll have with tires, rinse, lather, repeat. I'm keeping an eye on everything post Canada, we've got two races now where the above is true. Let's see how it holds up for the next handful of races.

I will say, Ferrari is probably very glad that the summer break is nearly here, they could use a reset. Hungary is a must win.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

justmoi
justmoi

For me there is zero doubt Ferrari would have swapped their positions if Bottas was not there. There is nothing biased about the British commentators for saying so. AND it would have been the correct decision to swap them. In fact, it would be stupid not to swap them. Kimi is not fighting for the title at all. Why leave your own driver to take away more points from your WDC candidate, even more especially as the WCC is slightly slipping out of hand. Besides switching their positions has no drawbacks for the team. In every race since the situation became apparent Ferrari will favour Vettel. And they will be right to of course.

Of course with Bottas in the picture it made that proposal particularly difficult. It was an all round tough race for Ferrari this weekend.

I don't get why simple logic gets clouded by bias on this forum.
Last edited by justmoi on 18 Jul 2017, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Sieper wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 15:15
Stroll does not agree.
That got a lol out of me.

TAG

justmoi wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 15:48
For me there is zero doubt Ferrari would have swapped their positions if Bottas was no there. There is nothing biased about the British commentators for saying so. AND it would have been the correct decision to swap them. In fact, it would be stupid not to swap them. Kimi is not fighting for the title at all. Why leave your own driver to take away more points from your WDC candidate, even more especially as the WCC is slightly slipping out of hand. Besides switching their positions has no drawbacks for the team. In every race since the situation became apparent Ferrari will favour Vettel. And they will be right to of course.

I don't get why simple logic gets clouded by bias on this forum.
Because when Mercedes does it (thinks about doing it), the commentating from the h8rz isn't as rational as you so eloquently presented yours. :mrgreen:
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Jolle
Jolle

nacho wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 15:12
It's amazing how stable the drivers hands are nowadays compared to what it used to be. Almost no corrections.
Yes, it's (I think) because the last decade and a half the cars became more and more predictable and stable. Combined with a very good understanding of setting the car up before an event with CFD and the simulator. I also think this is the main reason why there is less air between the drivers within teams generally.
The fun thing is when the conditions change, one of the few things they can't really prepare for and the "old style seat of the pants" drivers like Hamilton and Verstappen float to the top (like when it's raining).

Just compare the B194 and the W08, the amount of sophistication is astonishing.... not just the chassis but also the almost direct Hybrid PU with (because of the K unit) zero throttle lag.

Sieper

digitalrurouni wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 15:49
Sieper wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 15:15
Stroll does not agree.
That got a lol out of me.
haha, thanks! to be honest I do also agree with the statement and it was a little bit of a cheap shot of me as even Massa does seem to need to give more input then the rest of the field (not as much as stroll though), it might be that the Williams is not up there wit the best yet. Some interesting point sin the follow up discussion, good showing gents!

zac510
zac510

nacho wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 15:12
10 years ago people said that too.
On the other hand, as soon as a driver starts driving around with loads of corrections they are said to be rubbish and should be fired/replaced.

dans79

I didn't notice it live, But that's some decent contact between Vettel and Max (a little after the 2:05 mark).

197 104 103 7