HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marmer

HALO Approved for 2018

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40663158

talk about a rushed idea. i thought they would have just delayed it a year but i suppose if it saves someone next year then it has come at the right time

Shrieker

Re: HALO Aprroved for 2018

We got used to those horrendous noses. We’ll get used to this. And i bet at least some teams will find a way to make it blend in with the car/livery and look good ;) For example, this doesn't look bad me thinks.

The bad thing tho is, it will maybe prevent a Bianchi, but most likely won’t prevent a Massa. And then what...

Also: This Halo device isn't a part of the 'triangle' when the car rolls. I don't think they're designing the car around it, the same way it's designed around the roll hoop and the (top side of the) tub. What happens when the car rolls ? IMHO it's not a far fetched scenario that the Halo might get pushed into the cockpit towards the driver's head/chest. That would not be good, and can not be ruled out convincingly.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

bauc

I'm sick of the news, but if it helps (I doubt it) to save someone's life I'm in.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

CriXus

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) No, no, no!!! It should be either fighter jet canopy or nothing!
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

TwanV

In the words of youknow.. Sad!

But really, the worst idea I have ever heard and they know it:
A statement said the group debated "a number of sporting measures aimed at improving the show". It did not reveal what they were but said "specific studies will be carried out to assess" them.
or freely translated:
We already know this idea is aweful and has no support, but some guy has made it his personal mission, sorry about that. We'll make it up to you by thinking up something really cool. Really, it's going to be fantastic and huge.
or worse:
We honourable delegates of the FIA deem your opinion, world, null and void. The institution has spoken. To offset any resistance, we have thrown a bone.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by TwanV on 20 Jul 2017, 09:48, edited 5 times in total.

ackzsel

I'm divided. I'm all for safety but this will take some time for me to get used to. Also, I'm a bit scared about evacuating a turned over car.

Facts Only

Rabble rabble rabble! They should go back to leather caps and no roll hoops and drive like gentlemen. Just like in the past when everything was better than it is now!
I (a person who will nver drive an F1 car) don want these safety features! But i do reserve the right to make ranting and indignent comments about how "something should be done" when somebody does get injured.

Yours

Armchair racing fans
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

adrianjordan

Shrieker wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 07:45
We got used to those horrendous noses. We’ll get used to this. And i bet at least some teams will find a way to make it blend in with the car/livery and look good ;) For example, this doesn't look bad me thinks.

The bad thing tho is, it will maybe prevent a Bianchi, but most likely won’t prevent a Massa. And then what...

Also: This Halo device isn't a part of the 'triangle' when the car rolls. I don't think they're designing the car around it, the same way it's designed around the roll hoop and the (top side of the) tub. What happens when the car rolls ? IMHO it's not a far fetched scenario that the Halo might get pushed into the cockpit towards the driver's head/chest. That would not be good, and can not be ruled out convincingly.
Halo would not of saved Bianchi. The deceleration would still have been pretty much the same as with the roll hoop.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

SiLo

This still feels like a knee-jerk reaction to Bianchi's death. The sport is dangerous, the drivers know that and I'm pretty sure they accept it every time they get in the car otherwise they would be sitting at home watching on TV like the rest of us.

9 out of 10 teams said no to it, and they pushed it through anyway? Good work FIA =D>
Felipe Baby!

CriXus

What would happen if all teams say they won't use it. What would the FIA do? They wouldn't penalize all teams.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

Sieper

So now that it is not open formula racing anymore how should we call it H1? just 1? but maybe Force One will have claimed that name.

I think it is a dreadful solution. It looks so incredibly ugly and out of place and prevents us from seeing the drivers. I am really saddened to read it has been pushed through now. This will mean it will stay forever, no way back. Just like Brexit :-(.

George-Jung

It does not even look save and it impairs vision?

Gerhardsa

I am very interested in seeing what the teams and drivers reaction will be to this news.
I think its a stupid idea. it just makes getting out of the car more difficult and would not help in a Bianchi or Massa situation, not in the slightest.

bauc

Sieper wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 10:32
So now that it is not open formula racing anymore how should we call it H1? just 1? but maybe Force One will have claimed that name.

I think it is a dreadful solution. It looks so incredibly ugly and out of place and prevents us from seeing the drivers. I am really saddened to read it has been pushed through now. This will mean it will stay forever, no way back. Just like Brexit :-(.
Untill I see it on the cars next year I would not consider this as granted, rules have been changed overnight before in F1
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Facts Only

Oh dear seems that a tongue in cheek post has hit a nerve with the armchair racing fans. I forgot that a bit of humour is unacceptable.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver