HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JesperA

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

Manoah2u wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 20:31
So.......since FIA claimed the nose shapes have been mandated to be like they are, causing the idiotic platypus, phallus, thumb etc. shapes the past years, because of SAFETY reasons,
to prevent in case of contact, that another car slides on top of the tub and then smashes the driver's head to pulp......we can assume now that we can see a return of high noses and
that rule can be scratched?
Maybe, but i don't remember the reasoning for the low noses anyway (yeah, i know, not launching cars into the air but how exactly would they solve that issue)? That always sounded counterintuitive to me, did it actually solve a problem? I've seen more than a handful of cars being launched in the air or gliding ontop of another car anyway, most of the times the wheels where the biggest offender for launching cars into the air but i think the lower nose was involved in a couple (like, low nose under the "opponents" wheel thus raising the car up into the air or ontop of a car).

Apart from wheel wires, it seems like most of FIA "security" improvements have had very diminishing returns/improvements.

Manoah2u

IIRC that 'rule' about the noses was also some hasty-incorporated move after schumacher almost got his head mashed when he had contact and was facing the pack backwards and a car came close to finishing him right there.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

cplchanb

Sniffit wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 19:55
Aw crap, well we always have indycar.
actually....indy car is going to do something similar next year as well....
F2 it is!

marmer

Halo doesn't protect the driver from a larger object only ones he same size and those smaller that hit the bars. A large heavy object will snap the bars and push them into the driver along with itself. In this regard it is actually more likely to cause an injury. If a car mounts another it currently has to hit the driver to do any damage.
With the halo it only has to get near enough to push the halo into the driver

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Manoah2u

wait, so halo goes for F1, but lower classes get the finger? it's actually the lower classes where the biggest hurt is happening [henry surtees, the guy that just lost his legs (forgot his name), and many others.]
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Jolle

marmer wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 21:28
Halo doesn't protect the driver from a larger object only ones he same size and those smaller that hit the bars. A large heavy object will snap the bars and push them into the driver along with itself. In this regard it is actually more likely to cause an injury. If a car mounts another it currently has to hit the driver to do any damage.

The halo will not be the flimsy prototypes from last year. They would be as strong as, for instance, the roll cage from a WEC car. If it snaps, it’s far and far beyond the point any head or helmet could take

FrukostScones

Jolle wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 21:36
marmer wrote:

The halo will not be the flimsy prototypes from last year. They would be as strong as, for instance, the roll cage from a WEC car. If it snaps, it’s far and far beyond the point any head or helmet could take
It think it is quite probable that halo becomes dislocated in an accident and will do mor damage than good.
I would not want to have this steel/titanium monstrum smashed into my face.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Manoah2u

This day keeps getting worse. Halo is announced and also just read about the suicide of Chester Bennington [Linkin Park].
:'(

and yes, it's wildly offtopic.

Manoah2u

FrukostScones wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 21:46
Jolle wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 21:36
marmer wrote:

It think it is quite probable that halo becomes dislocated in an accident and will do mor damage than good.
I would not want to have this steel/titanium monstrum smashed into my face.
it probably depends on how it is mounted, but in any case, Marko commented on the introduction stating it's hue flaws, also Lauda.

Stormy

So what? These geniuses can't protect the shield? The shield is a wrong move but at least a better aesthetically one. No need for both shield and Halo though. You think the Halo could've saved Massa from injury and ending up at the hospital? That small little bullet would've probably hit Massa anyway as the Halo is not protecting the entire space.

Besides, who died of flying debris in F1? Tom Pryce?

It's insanity what FIA are doing! Craziness! What do they gain by this?!

F1 is perfectly safe at the moment, leave it alone! No need for further safety measures until the cars start going 500 kph top speed!!!

We are going to watch F1 cars with hideous bars mounted on top of the cockpits. AHAHHAHAHA, these people are probably smoking crack and worship the devil!!!
Last edited by Stormy on 20 Jul 2017, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

the EDGE

I just read on Sky sports website gossip page that Ferrari was the only team who backed the FIA voted for the HALO to be introduced

A bit off topic here but... who else thinks Vettle was let off lightly by the FIA recently?

:mrgreen:

Stormy

the EDGE wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 22:36
I just read on Sky sports website gossip page that Ferrari was the only team who backed the FIA voted for the HALO to be introduced

A bit off topic here but... who else thinks Vettle was let off lightly by the FIA recently?

:mrgreen:
As a Ferrari fan...i'm extremely disappointed. If all 10 teams voted against the Halo it might've been a different story :(

cplchanb

btw MODs please change the title as HALO Forcibly Imposed for 2018 as 9/10 teams rejected it....then again since Ferrari counts for 10 votes plus Veto I guess that counts as "approval"

Moose

proteus wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 20:13
Moose wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 19:47
Not forgetting how close we came to Alonso being jam in 2012/Spa, And Massa being dead in 2009/Hungary.

This device has very little in the way of drawbacks, and offers significant advantages. Why on earth would you petition against it?
If the car slams into this "device" it will break as a toothpick, making sharp death spikes for the driver and his head. I seriously doubt it is capable to stop 600, 700 kg of weight, not to mention that cars aint stationary in the crash so it means double, triple, or even more than that of the raw weight of the cars.
Depends how fast said 600kg of weight is moving. Remember, those tiny little supports on the front wing pylons are capable of holding the multiple-times the weight of the car in downforce that the front wing generates.

Carbon fibre is crazy strong stuff.

Reading the other comments here, most people are basing their dislike of the device purely on the expectation that it can break. Remember - the cars have a device of a similar level of chunkiness that can, and does prevent the driver's head ramming into the ground when it flips.

That much carbon fibre can and will stop an entire F1 car traveling at a considerable speed.

FW17

Ok with the halo

but wishing for.............
1) they will allow teams to choose their own profile like with suspension wishbones

2) center support removed and replaced with two on the side nearer to the mirrors similar to the aeroscreen

3) the cockpit wind deflector raised to meet the halo