Every F1 Chinese Grand Prix why Pirelli tyres not using Chinese branding word "倍耐力轮胎"?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
theriusDR3

Every F1 Chinese Grand Prix why Pirelli tyres not using Chinese branding word "倍耐力轮胎"?

A Chinese version of Pirelli (known as 倍耐力轮胎) sponsor attached on Inter Milan shirt while Inter Milan playing in China.

In China Pirelli usually uses 倍耐力轮胎 word brand for China branching. F.C. Internazionale Milano were sported 倍耐力轮胎 word to promote F.C. Internazionale Milano fans from China and also F.C. Internazionale Milano playing in China during preseason tour. Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix should consider sporting 倍耐力轮胎 brand on their Pirelli tyres while racing in China.

santos

Re: Every F1 Chinese Grand Prix why Pirelli tyres not using Chinese branding word "倍耐力轮胎"?

Ask to Pirelli or to 倍耐力轮胎.

Gerhardsa

Re: Every F1 Chinese Grand Prix why Pirelli tyres not using Chinese branding word "倍耐力轮胎"?

This is just my point of view, but this is a silly thread...because why then stop there?

Convert all sponsorship writing into Chinese/Mandarin ?

It stays the same all over the word, why should it change for just China?

The entertainment/business/sports worlds (and F1 is a bit of all of them) are all mostly English.

The sponsors are there mostly for F1's global TV audiences, which are again, mostly able to read and understand English.

Its the one language used to communicate globally in general (except if you are French... haha only jokes guys), so no reason to change that communication method.

WaikeCU

Gerhardsa wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 15:37
This is just my point of view, but this is a silly thread...because why then stop there?

Convert all sponsorship writing into Chinese/Mandarin ?

It stays the same all over the word, why should it change for just China?

The entertainment/business/sports worlds (and F1 is a bit of all of them) are all mostly English.

The sponsors are there mostly for F1's global TV audiences, which are again, mostly able to read and understand English.

Its the one language used to communicate globally in general (except if you are French... haha only jokes guys), so no reason to change that communication method.
I think that's something Pirelli and F1 should sort out for the Chinese GP. Pirelli could reach a deal as a marketing stunt to promote their tires in China. I mean how many cars are there in China? A lot. I don't know what brand of tires sell the most in China, but if using the Chinese translation could persuade the Chinese in using Pirelli tires for their own vehicles. Then that would be good business deal for Pirelli.

Greg Locock

Given that Pirelli is owned by China National Chemical Corp I imagine they are a bit less clueless about China than you might think. As Pirelli occasionally spruiks itself as the Prada of the tire world (more like Pandora imo) I wonder how many Ferrari and Porsche buyers in China would like to see apparently Chinese tires on their motors? Why not get Red Bull to revise their branding in China?

Here's a Chinese Pirelli ad. Note the logo

https://guide.alibaba.com/t-shop/way-ti ... 17975.html

My guess is that the global marketing is far more important than the local marketing for F1.

As to why the soccer team switches to a Chinese translation, that's interesting. Perhaps because soccer teams visits to other countries aren't televised globally.

Stormy

It's bad marketing, really. This with Inter is just a one-off.

Ennis

Greg Locock wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 00:49

As to why the soccer team switches to a Chinese translation, that's interesting. Perhaps because soccer teams visits to other countries aren't televised globally.
I think that's it. We actually see it fairly regularly, just about anywhere they go with sponsors. There's much more coverage overall (games per season), and the strange trips abroad are generally those that nobody other than those who are there or those who are diehard fans are paying any attention to.

The diehard fans watch every other game, so you already have them hooked on the 'normal' sponsorship. The ones who are there are local, so get the local advertising. Globally, nobody else cares.

It would be interesting to see if they blended it in somewhat though. Trackside advertising being 3/4 Pirelli, 1/4 Chinese branding for example..

DiogoBrand

It would look cool if instead of having the Pirelli and P Zero logos on the tyres they'd have Pirelli and 倍耐力轮胎. But then they would have to do the same for Japan, Russia, maybe other countries that I don't know of with different alphabets.

Raleigh

Even in China being a foreign brand commands a premium, I doubt Pirelli wants to highlight their Chinese ownership at home let alone the rest of the world.